Advise on buying

Steve0715

On 9/8/2022 at 12:02 AM, Pinecone said:

Hmmm, from other threads and some quote I have received

Factory Reman engine - $36,000  New $60,000

Prop overhaul - $3 - $4000

Full interior from AeroTech - $20,000 Glass extra if needed

Paint - $15,000 and up

Panel - I got quoted $52,000 for 10.6" G3X Touch, with new audio panel (PS Engineering or Garmin), GFC500 auto pilot with yaw damper.  I already have a  G5, GTN650 and GTX345.  Without those add another $18 - $20,00 installed.

Other things -

Monroy LR tanks - $10,000 or so

Seal tanks - $9000

All LED light - $2500

And many more things you can spend money on.

I can confirm, from experience, these numbers are spot on.

On 9/10/2022 at 7:29 AM, ArtVandelay said:

Ultimately the O gets you an extra 20 knots with the extra fuel consumption.

Do the math on your expected long cross country trips, see if the time saved is worth the money.

Be careful when you see the phrase “a little more”, that and “AMUs” are aircraft owners trying not to think about how much they’re spending.

And if you’re want to fly slower , why bother, just get the J.

My 2 cents is a rule of thumb I picked up from Jimmy Garrison. If most of your trips are less than 400 miles, a J is fine. If most are over 400 miles you will be happier with a K.

Before I bought my K I rented a buddies J and flew the same trips I do now. Most are over 400 miles. I was very happy with the J, but acting on Jimmy’s advice I bought a K and am even happier.

I am sure the O’s, B’s etc would be even nicer but I don’t have the wallet to even consider that league.

I don’t fly in the teens, but 10, 11 and 12 have worked out very nicely so far. Grant it I don’t have but 7 months ownership, but no regrets yet.

Torrey

• Like 5

Jimmy and David were full of great one line pieces of advice…

They collected a bunch of details over the years from each customer interaction…

I like the idea of having a turbo… but, by the time I got to altitude, it would be time to descend for landing….

For my favorite 200nm trip… the NA 310hp engine is perfect…. Cruise around 12k’…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1