Antenna??

WAFI

+1, looks like an old marker beacon antenna.   aka, boat anchor.  ;)

It should be easy to delete.   You probably wouldn't have to even entirely remove that panel, just drop the rear of it enough to disconnect and remove the antenna.   You can probably bolt a small cover on over the hole using the mounting fastener holes.

If you have WAAS GPS…

you probably don’t use your marker beacons much….

They make nice distance measuring/reporting devices while riding the ILS…. Old style….

If eliminating the marker beacons… you probably tossed the other distance measuring device that reported slant angle distances….

Next thing you will want…. A landing height system….   :)

PP thoughts only,

-a-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I still had all the old school stuff, and my audio panel definitely picked up the markers. I will have WAAS GPS if/when I get my plane back ever lol. It'd sure be nice to remove those things under the belly. I will still have the kns80 though, so not sure if I should remove them all yet. the ADF stuff is gone now. according to the kns80 install, it does use this antenna:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/comant10516.php

I'd really love to get rid of whatever the big round antenna is. I am thinking it IS the adf antenna, and I can remove that one for sure. :) Sorry to hijack the thread..

Santa Maria and San Luis Obispo both have marker beacons on their ILS.  A few month ago, I flew the one at KSMX in actual conditions and got to hear the beacon.  This with my dual garmin 275 + GTN 750 set-up!

My MB antenna, however, is inside my belly panel so it doesn't stick out.

Bruce

On 9/9/2022 at 8:28 AM, haymak3r said:

Oh, I still had all the old school stuff, and my audio panel definitely picked up the markers. I will have WAAS GPS if/when I get my plane back ever lol. It'd sure be nice to remove those things under the belly. I will still have the kns80 though, so not sure if I should remove them all yet. the ADF stuff is gone now. according to the kns80 install, it does use this antenna:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/comant10516.php

I'd really love to get rid of whatever the big round antenna is. I am thinking it IS the adf antenna, and I can remove that one for sure. :) Sorry to hijack the thread..

Got a pic of the "big round" antenna?   It probably is an ADF antenna, if it's what I'm thinking, but a pic would clarify.

The antenna in the link is a DME antenna if it's connected to your kns80.   It may be useful as an ADS-B-in antenna if you don't have that already.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:54 AM, MisfitSELF said:

Santa Maria and San Luis Obispo both have marker beacons on their ILS.  A few month ago, I flew the one at KSMX in actual conditions and got to hear the beacon.  This with my dual garmin 275 + GTN 750 set-up!

My MB antenna, however, is inside my belly panel so it doesn't stick out.

Bruce

What other antennas can be mounted inside the belly panel? Could the storm scope antenna go in there?

5 minutes ago, Will.iam said:

What other antennas can be mounted inside the belly panel? Could the storm scope antenna go in there?

Just about any of the belly-mount antennas can be mounted inside *if* you have the one-piece fiberglass belly.    Otherwise it should be outside.    Outside will have better radio performance regardless of fiberglass belly or not, but inside is better for aero.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Will.iam said:

Stormscope is very sensitive to positioning.  It is mapped out prior to installation, and inches can make a big difference.  If considering relocation, be sure somebody knowledgeable remaps.