Tupelo

Brandt

You're not alone.  At my airport, the secret code to open the gate is "push the button".  I asked how that provides any level of security.  They said most deer can't push the button, and the fence is too high for most deer to jump.
Ours is the CTAF frequency so at least you have to know something about aviation to get in.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Wow, trying to figure which airports are required to have perimeter fencing leads you down a confusing rat hole. The best I’ve found out so far is that only class IV airports don’t require fences. This would limit commercial operations to non-scheduled flights of less than 9 passengers.

FWIW, I looked at KCCOs financial statements and it looks like the only federal grants they have accepted are American Rescue Plan (COVID) money.

I believe the requirement is based on scheduled air service. If TSA is processing passengers, the airport is required to have a perimeter fence and vehicle gates. My home drome, KHGR has a terminal and Allegiant Air flies a few trips a week from MD to Florida. Cape Air used to operate C402s between HGR and BWI.  KFDK is just over the mountain to the SE and has no scheduled air service, no TSA and therefor no perimeter fence nor gate. AOPA headquarters is on the field . One can walk from the parking lot to the North Ts and encounter little more than a sidewalk and grass.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 5:33 PM, Shadrach said:

If TSA is processing passengers, the airport is required to have a perimeter fence and vehicle gates.

The TSA directive for airports with commercial passenger service, is to secure the SIDA [Security Identification Display Area] at these airports.  There are over 400 such airports withing the United States.  Unfortunately, the TSA directive never provided specific detailed information for airports on how to accomplish this.  The result was, in many cases, the airport administration fenced beyond the required SIDA area, which included capturing general aviation.  The TSA directive specifically states that the SIDA is not to encumber general aviation.  That did not happen and we, in many cases if not most cases, became encumbered unnecessarily.

Several years ago, the good folks at Grand Junction, CO airport took their TSA general aviation encumbrance issue to task.  With a tremendous amount of painstaking effort, these folks eventually reached TSA director John Pistole.  Pistole eventually agreed with the Grand Junction folks, and the fences/gates were removed from the ga areas, only securing the SIDA area.  The Grand Junction SIDA securing was done all electronically. 

The TSA imprisonment of general aviation, a very sad situation we are living with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Nicely stated Mitch!

There is something unusual when we get locked in or out, at an airport, where easily fly in and out of it… :)

Crazy fences…

Best regards,

-a-

A part of all this I find most unfortunate and disgusting…….many years ago (1972), I was required to undergo an FBI background check in order to receive a secret clearance for my employment at Vandenberg Air Force Base.

Several decades later, when the administration folks at SMX implemented their all imprisonment of our airport, I had to undergo a very similar background check in order to receive a badge to be able to access my private aircraft.  
Pathetic….. we’ve come such a long sad way! 

• Like 2