GAMI Unleaded gets approval

Joe Larussa

GAMI Unleaded Avgas Approved For GA Piston Fleet
In a first for the aviation industry, the FAA has approved supplemental type certificates (STCs) for the use of General Aviation Modifications Inc.’s G100UL 100-octane unleaded avgas in all general aviation piston aircraft.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

This is exciting news! Eager to see what the cost will be since I’m sure CA will be the first state to ban 100 LL.

In the AOPA article GA moves closer to unleaded future - AOPA they quote Braly:

"“It’s not going to be unreasonable,” he said. “Pilots in America will not be paying what they’re paying for avgas in Europe today.”

A quick look at Avgas 100LL prices in Europe show 2.15 - 3.35 euro/liter.  That is $8.10 - $12.22/gallon.  

EDDB - Berlin-Schoenefeld | Aviation Fuel Prices AV-FUEL.COM  (this is an interactive map of Europe showing all airports)

Also AOPA Pres. Mark Baker said "AOPA continues to encourage all fuel manufacturers to follow through with their own formulations, Baker said. “We’d like to see several fuels available that all work together and blend together. Competition is always a good thing for the markets.”

There is no competition.  And if it yields savings from reduced maintenance costs and long engine life since it may allow the use of modern synthetic detergent oils then the fuel producers and distributors will work to value price the fuel, extract some of the plane owner savings and cream off higher margins.

Edited by 1980Mooney

2 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

That’s what I’m hoping for. I wonder even if engines running 100 UL and synthetic oils will have a longer TBO.

I'd probably still stick with dino oil for a while unless 100LL completely goes away.  If you use synthetic oil, you just know you'll wind up out of gas at an airport with only 100LL :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

I'd probably still stick with dino oil for a while unless 100LL completely goes away.  If you use synthetic oil, you just know you'll wind up out of gas at an airport with only 100LL :lol:

If you get the STC you can run on any combination of the new stuff and 100LL. It is approved for your engine at any blend ratio.

3 hours ago, Marc_B said:

To use G100UL you would have to purchase a STC from GAMI?  vs FAA approves use of G100UL in all airframes in the AML as an alternative to 100LL?

You have to purchase the STC if you want to be flying legally.

The challenge is extended…

The lead free fuel will re-enable use of synthetic oil…

Sythetic oil and its blends can be superior to what we currently use….

synthetic oil isn’t compatible with LL…

So there is some humor in there….

What do you do when you are using synthetic oil… and only 100LL is available…

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The challenge is extended…

The lead free fuel will re-enable use of synthetic oil…

Sythetic oil and its blends can be superior to what we currently use….

synthetic oil isn’t compatible with LL…

So there is some humor in there….

What do you do when you are using synthetic oil… and only 100LL is available…

:)

Best regards,

-a-

Oil change:D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Marc_B said:

To use G100UL you would have to purchase a STC from GAMI?  vs FAA approves use of G100UL in all airframes in the AML as an alternative to 100LL?

The FAA approved a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) that allows GAMI G100UL to be used in all piston engine applications.  That STC is owned by GAMI.  The FAA did not confer airplane owners the industrywide right to use G100UL.  In order to have that right, an airplane owner has to buy a license from GAMI to use the STC,

Untitledgami.png.ed97167f59af3acfdbe08b5351081cd4.png

6 hours ago, 1980Mooney said:

The FAA approved a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) that allows GAMI G100UL to be used in all piston engine applications.  That STC is owned by GAMI.  The FAA did not confer airplane owners the industrywide right to use G100UL.  In order to have that right, an airplane owner has to buy a license from GAMI to use the STC,

Untitledgami.png.ed97167f59af3acfdbe08b5351081cd4.png

If I'm GAMI, I'm probably selling the STC for $10 or something so that I can get it into as many hands as possible as quickly as possible and sell more fuel.  Hopefully that's what they'll do.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bcg said:

If I'm GAMI, I'm probably selling the STC for $10 or something so that I can get it into as many hands as possible as quickly as possible and sell more fuel.  Hopefully that's what they'll do.

This being aviation, probably $100.

I am not sure of the paperwork and record keeping on their end.

Pennzoil does.

You can go over to Bob's the Oil Guy forum.  A lot of people there feel that synthetics starting from petroleum are not true synthetics, since the oil molecules were not built up from smaller molecules, but cracked from larger ones.

8 hours ago, toto said:

If anyone needs a case or 30 of synthetic oil, I might know a guy :)

image.png.110d3656c9f0aabb0756e2c8f0bdfa05.png

If the people that used this back in the early 90's would have changed oil at 25 hours I don't think there ever would have been a problem. People thought "I can go longer with synthetic" and the lead created sludge eventually. I flew a TLS where the owner had used it in 1993 and 1994 and he never went over 25 hours on the oil. Had no problems.