Mooney Service Center Recommendations in South Carolina?

tkubat06

Brand new Mooney owner here (1966 E). 

Coming to you from the aviation wasteland that is South Carolina :-) With my first annual is rapidly approaching, does anyone have any recommendation for a good MSC near Charleston, SC? I found one in Manning, SC called Precision Air but don't see much on their website regarding Mooney's (other than the MSC logo). Has anyone had experience with them specifically? I'm also considering AVL and others in the surrounding area but Precision would be the most convenient. 

Thanks! 

20220729_084336.jpg

I'm no expert but I'll offer an opinion.  I've flown my '67F for almost 20 years.  My approach has always been to work with very experienced mechanics, not necessarily designated MSCs.  Experienced mechanics know when to stop if necessary and ask Mooney specific questions.  Now with that said, after 20 years of ownership, I would like to have an experienced MSC perform a thorough airframe inspection outside of an annual just to identify any concerns or airframe specific rigging issues and make recommendations for future maintenance or upgrades.  I'm guessing they know best where to look for corrosion and cracks.  

Will be interesting to hear other people thoughts.   I've heard rumors some MSCs won't even work on older airplanes; don't know if that's true.  Good luck finding a mechanic you like working with that will listen, allow you to participate in the maintenance, and help you learn about your airplane.  

• Thanks 1

Welcome aboard tku!

Visit the Mooney website to find their list of MSCs

There is about one in every state near you….

And there are tremendous Mooney mechanics not associated with MSCs anymore…

Let’s not accidentally put all MSCs in one basket… we have a few around here that are very helpful…

and some that don’t visit social media….

Best regards,

-a-

https://www.mooney.com/contact-2/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard tku!

Visit the Mooney website to find their list of MSCs

There is about one in every state near you….

And there are tremendous Mooney mechanics not associated with MSCs anymore…

Let’s not accidentally put all MSCs in one basket… we have a few around here that are very helpful…

and some that don’t visit social media….

Best regards,

-a-

https://www.mooney.com/contact-2/

Reminds me of Russell Stallings at SWTA.  I miss that guy.  He was outstanding and reasonable.  Helped me numerous times with parts and service when I first bought my Mooney.  Not a fancy shop; just a good guy with tons of experience that he was more than willing to share.  

• Like 2

I’m in the same region - southern NC. This will be my first annual as a Mooney owner. Therefore I at least wanted my first annual to be with someone who could help with Mooney specific inspection items, rigging, etc. 

I’m scheduled this winter at AGL Aviation in Morgantown NC (KMRN). They came recommended. However, they were recently purchased. Anyone have a pirep on the new owners and their knowledge of Mooneys?

Also, any pirep on Freedom Aviation in Lynchburg, VA? 

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2022 at 8:01 AM, rbridges said:

I just dropped my plane off at Cole Aviation in dalton, ga. He’s always struck me as a good guy. 

I had need to use Joey a few months ago on a mag issue.  Good experience and his billable hours lined up with my own experience of pulling/replacing mags.  Would recommend. 

When it comes to maintenance I would rather pay a few $$ more for a known quantity.  Those of us who have owned long enough all have a story of something that seemed good, then went totally sideways in the process. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DXB said:

+1 Cole Aviation.  AGL Aviation in Morganton NC is also very reputable last I heard.

+1 here, too. Joey did all my maintenance during the seven years I was based in Atlanta. He was a young guy then but already a great mechanic and a stand-up guy.

1 hour ago, 201Steve said:

Curious when Lynn is leaving and who bought the business. 

Well, I read it here:  https://www.aglaviation.com/news.  Then I emailed them about the acquisition and John Car, the Aero Professional Services General Partner, responded quickly and stated that they retained the Mooney Service Center.  That's about all I know.  The previous website with Lynn's business has been replaced by the current one.

9 hours ago, AdamJD said:

that they retained the Mooney Service Center. 

so it will be another MINO (MSC in name only). 

“APS is a growing company that is building a national network of premium FBO properties. APS Aviation's
strategy is to acquire and develop FB maintenance operations in growing markets”

hope they are willing to wait 30 years for a ROI if they are expecting Foothills Regional to takeoff.  strange  

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this up from the dead but this was a mission of mine a few years ago.  I was in Sumter, SC at the time and had been going to Lynn at AGL religiously for my annuals based on all the recommendations from this board.  Lynn left for Texas and AGL was bought out.  I had never heard anything about Precision-Air in Manning however it was incredibly close to me so I gave it a try.  Things went well and it was an uneventful annual (last February), I got some new tires that I needed, and the O hasn't given me any squawks.  So I was pleased, not sure if just lucky because the plane didn't need much but I can tell you that I would go back if I was still in the area.

Now on the subject on what constitutes a Mooney Service Center other than just being listed on the website.  I searched high and low and even contacted Mooney for an answer on how to become a MSC.  I can tell you I doubt there is much vetting if any and it may just be a fee to pay just to advertise yourself as a service center.  They told me that there were some "standards" but not how the center met those standards or if there was any continuing renewal or check ups on these shops.  No one gave me a straight answer.  So all in all I am a little more hesitant to put much weight on the MSC designation and would just try and make sure you can find a reputable A&P that you know has some experience with your specific model. 

1 hour ago, r0ckst4r said:

So all in all I am a little more hesitant to put much weight on the MSC designation and would just try and make sure you can find a reputable A&P that you know has some experience with your specific model. 

I agree with this assertion.  I have come to believe that the name on the shop matters far less than the name of the person who actually works on your airplane.  Good shops sometimes hire dopes, and a shop that no one has heard of may hire someone who is really excellent.