TSIO 360 LB Where is the oil pressure relief located? Adjusted at annual?

willerjim273

I have read all that I can on this subject. 1980 M20K, She is a GB/LB meaning it was converted. I have read about "lapping" and also about a jamb nut with a screw adjustment. There is nothing wrong with engine. I am figuring that the 2 above procedures are one or the other, not both. Before annual, she has always run right on the line of yellow/green. Thanks

Exactly. But not that simple. He is stumped as well. Just talked to Continental Aero. My engine had no pressure adjustment. Yes, no adjustment. What I need is called an EQ6516, which is going to be a bear to find. the parts in that kit are listed below. It is a long story, but with that kit, I can have adjustable oil pressure. Tks

For perspective in case anyone has or will come up in the future, we are talking the accessory case here. My engine is TSI0360GB1B - Accessory Case Part Listing

GO HERE: http://continental.aero/support/illustrated-parts-catalog.aspx, AND SELECT ABOVE ENGINE #. Thanks if anyone has any experience on this. 

image.png.5e2b96209c43e517fc36c6823a392011.png

Its located directly below the oil cooler on the pilot side. Right on the yellow/green line is too low, but I wouldn't trust your Mooney factory gauge either. Your mechanic will want to put a gauge on it to see what it shows before adjusting it. Its not adjusted at every annual, but when it getting low as you are observing. But it sounds like it needs investigating asap. Oil pressure though varies inversely with oil temp. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, willerjim273 said:

Exactly. But not that simple. He is stumped as well. Just talked to Continental Aero. My engine had no pressure adjustment. Yes, no adjustment. What I need is called an EQ6516, which is going to be a bear to find. the parts in that kit are listed below. It is a long story, but with that kit, I can have adjustable oil pressure. Tks

For perspective in case anyone has or will come up in the future, we are talking the accessory case here. My engine is TSI0360GB1B - Accessory Case Part Listing

GO HERE: http://continental.aero/support/illustrated-parts-catalog.aspx, AND SELECT ABOVE ENGINE #. Thanks if anyone has any experience on this. 

Maybe if an overhaul to a LB is in your near future plans, that would also solve this during overhaul.

I wouldn't expect to have much difficulty getting the needed parts just because the kit isn't available. Its not uncommon to replace an oil pressure regulator. Unless perhaps this one is unique to GB engine which I'd doubt but don't know. That said expect it could easily take 2-3 weeks to get them. 

9 minutes ago, willerjim273 said:

I think the pressure relief is shared with others. The alt part for EQ6516 per Textron is 641074A1. This looks like mine on my TSIO360 (SB2B).

Spruce has it in stock.

Sooooo……

While we are checking the details….

What has caused this request?

Has the OilP fallen out of the green zone?

Its hot outside, and temp affects pressure….

Make sure the oil cooler and vernatherm are working….

Make sure you know what oil you have… or want…

Or…. How many hours are on the engine…?

If oil is escaping through enlarged passages…. The pressure drops as more oil escapes….

Signs of a worn engine…

PP discussion points for what causes people to ask questions about OilP….

Best regards,

-a-

15 hours ago, willerjim273 said:

image.png.5e2b96209c43e517fc36c6823a392011.png

I’ve never heard of an engine with out an oil pressure relief valve.  I’d open the cowl and look.  Here’s a picture from the IPC

5ABF6B4F-2F69-42B7-B6FC-7FB5922DA41A.jpeg

On 9/1/2022 at 1:25 PM, kortopates said:

Its located directly below the oil cooler on the pilot side. Right on the yellow/green line is too low, but I wouldn't trust your Mooney factory gauge either. Your mechanic will want to put a gauge on it to see what it shows before adjusting it. Its not adjusted at every annual, but when it getting low as you are observing. But it sounds like it needs investigating asap. Oil pressure though varies inversely with oil temp. 

I wonder if the Continental rep means that there is no external screw type adjustment?  Older engine may not have had this version, but it still should have an oil pressure relief valve with a spring which can be shimmed to change the pressure, if needed after confirming the indicated pressure.