Garmin G5 and S-Tec 50 integration

bcg

OK, I have another, more specific avionics question about the new to me plane.

Currently, I have a BK KLN90B interfacing with an Icarus SAM to control my S-Tec 50.  I'm fairly confident I'm going to replace the KLN90B with a Garmin 175 to get WAAS approaches with VNAV since my OBS supports ILS approaches with vertical guidance so I believe that if the GPS could provide VNAV, I could see it on the OBS.  I'd also like to install a 2nd G5 as a CDI and, ideally, drive the AP from the G5 instead of the SAM because the display on the SAM is on it's last leg and sure to fail completely soon.  My question is, will this work?  I think the G5 can do what I want but, I'm not 100% sure.  Would I need anything else for it all to interface correctly?

Thank you!

I would recommend replacing at least the left panel to update it to a standard six pack configuration. Keep in mind your current g5 with not be connected to anything. Both that unit and your new g5 (the HSI) will need to be rewired and connected to a gad 29b in order to interface with the 175 and your stec AP. 

Edited by MIm20c
  • Like 1

What is going south on the SAM?
They were a nice back-up type of instrument…
Hadn’t heard of any bad press…
Best regards,
-a-
The display is washed out and unreadable. It still works but, I can't see what it's doing.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/31/2022 at 7:09 PM, Andy95W said:

I have dual G5s, and STEC 50, and Garmin GPS 175.  It works great.  Heading, NAV, and GPSS all are awesome, with GPSS and heading modes being smoothest.

Old thread but, I put the 175 in last year, am I'm installing that 2nd G5 now and replacing my Narco with an SL30.  I'm not sure how to interface all of this though, since the G5 install manual says I can only hook up one Nav source if I'm using a non-Garmin AP.  How do you have both the 175 and your NAV radio driving your S-Tec?  Do you have a separate instrument for the NAV radio and a switch?  Or a switch before the G5 to select either the GPS or the NAV radio?  I'm trying to figure out how to do this and be legal.

I was in Wynadotte last month, I wish I'd known I was going this route at the time, I would have tried to get together with you so I could see what you're doing in person.

This is coming from memory and I haven’t really looked into it for a few years…

You need to buy a gad29b interface unless you already have one. The gad will connect via the 429 port to your old AP and the 175 gps. The SL30 will need to be directly connected to the G5 HSI vis the 232 port. You probably will need to remove the current 232 cable between the 175 and the g5 and replace it with an external gps for the g5. 

2 hours ago, bcg said:

Old thread but, I put the 175 in last year, am I'm installing that 2nd G5 now and replacing my Narco with an SL30.  I'm not sure how to interface all of this though, since the G5 install manual says I can only hook up one Nav source if I'm using a non-Garmin AP.  How do you have both the 175 and your NAV radio driving your S-Tec?  Do you have a separate instrument for the NAV radio and a switch?  Or a switch before the G5 to select either the GPS or the NAV radio?  I'm trying to figure out how to do this and be legal.