Mooney Paint Schemes

Bigdaddie

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

It would be really helpful if we could recognize a heart attack While it is happening… and know how many minutes we have to get things done…. :)

Depending on the situation… we may get a few minutes of TUC….

Too much variation to predict. Not only person to person variation (other contributing / complicating conditions) in the timing and effects, there is also great variation in the causes.

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2022 at 7:32 AM, Hank said:

Too much variation to predict. Not only person to person variation (other contributing / complicating conditions) in the timing and effects, there is also great variation in the causes.

My former boss had one that he was felling off for about a day, and then it started getting worse.   They put in 8 stents.  EIGHT.

About 15 months later, he went home from work, went downstairs to do his cardio exercises (prescribed by his cardiologist) and never came back upstairs.

On 9/1/2022 at 6:41 AM, Pinecone said:

I usually do also, but I also check it before engine start and before take off.

One thing we do at the airlines is set flaps for TO before taxi.  I have incorporated this practice in the Mooney.  I also like to reset the trim for TO on my after landing flow (Lights, Flaps, Cowl Flaps, Txpdr, etc).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdaddie said:

So here's a rendering of a proposed paint scheme I like.

N231NS_Paint.jpg

I like it, but concur with the small N numbers. N Numbers detract in my opinion

‘I think it’s important to have kept it white on top, mine is dark blue on top and you wouldn’t believe how hot that is

8 minutes ago, Bigdaddie said:

I think I can do the smaller N-numbers but a question I don't know the answer to.  If I fly to Mexico or Canada (which we intend to do) don't I have to have the 12" N-numbers?

Steve

Tape or vinyl stickers can do that temporary job for a visit. Unless you just like having your stripes adjusted, covered or broken permanently by the large painted numbers.

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

Tape or vinyl stickers can do that temporary job for a visit. Unless you just like having your stripes adjusted, covered or broken permanently by the large painted numbers.

I like the large N numbers on the older planes, but then I'm partial to the classic look. Ours is going into the paint shop in a couple weeks. We're changing the N number and keeping with a classic (slightly modified) look.

• Like 2

I like the large N numbers on the older planes, but then I'm partial to the classic look. Ours is going into the paint shop in a couple weeks. We're changing the N number and keeping with a classic (slightly modified) look.

I think the 12” numbers became a requirement on small planes 1981, so if you want old school, put 2” numbers on the vertical fuselage for legal purposes, and then put 12” numbers on the wings like they did pre 1960s.

Just now, ArtVandelay said:

I think the 12” numbers became a requirement on small planes 1981, so if you want old school, put 2” numbers on the vertical fuselage for legal purposes, and then put 12” numbers on the wings like they did pre 1960s.

I'm 1965, I guess I fall in between, but from what I've seen it came out of the factory with the 12" numbers. :)

6 hours ago, Bigdaddie said:

So here's a rendering of a proposed paint scheme I like...

I like it. Mine is similar but with black and silver. When I did my paint shop research (some15-16 y ago) I was told by one of the better shops that on the Mooney we should have N numbers slanted forward on both sides. I went with that and I'm not sorry.

image.jpeg.dace44210b0bcd52aa5a16d889825525.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 10:15 AM, Skates97 said:

Who are you using for paint?  I think I'm going with Art Craft.

1 hour ago, Bigdaddie said:

Who are you using for paint?  I think I'm going with Art Craft.

It's at ArtCraft, dropped it off Saturday morning. They have been professional and a pleasure to deal with starting with the first email inquiring about a price. They took me on a tour of their facility when I dropped it off, very nice operation. Their design guy was great to work with on the paint scheme taking my ideas and turning them into a reality.

Their base price was about 40% higher than another local shop but I've seen a number of planes from the other shop and from ArtCraft and the quality appears to be much higher from ArtCraft. From the estimate (we'll see what it is in reality) they are talking a 30 day turn around as opposed to 6-8 weeks from the other shop. Also, they were able to get me on the schedule and in the shop within a month of the first inquiry, the other shop was scheduling out in next March. They paint on average 13-15 planes, a big operation.

Add everything together and the additional cost made sense to me. This is probably the only time I will get it painted. "Buy the best and cry once"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 10:31 AM, Skates97 said:

It's at ArtCraft, dropped it off Saturday morning. They have been professional and a pleasure to deal with starting with the first email inquiring about a price. They took me on a tour of their facility when I dropped it off, very nice operation. Their design guy was great to work with on the paint scheme taking my ideas and turning them into a reality.

Their base price was about 40% higher than another local shop but I've seen a number of planes from the other shop and from ArtCraft and the quality appears to be much higher from ArtCraft. From the estimate (we'll see what it is in reality) they are talking a 30 day turn around as opposed to 6-8 weeks from the other shop. Also, they were able to get me on the schedule and in the shop within a month of the first inquiry, the other shop was scheduling out in next March. They paint on average 13-15 planes, a big operation.

Add everything together and the additional cost made sense to me. This is probably the only time I will get it painted. "Buy the best and cry once"

I'm most likely heading to art craft as well.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

69" F model with original scheme, but redone in 2002. I considered repainting it later with an Ovation scheme after I get a few performance mods, but every seems to love the original design and colors.

IMG_3620.jpeg

Edited by Mooneydriver87

Yes, 2 tone is more expensive than 1 base with stripes.
More complex and more colors is more expensive.
Red is most expensive color.
Metallic is more expensive.

If your wife wants a paint job, you’re are smart man to get it done, and I would include her in the design process.

• Like 2