Mooney Porsche PFM Parts/Engine

4 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

I thought Starship Gorgeous, but the Piaggio confuses me, is it a Canard or not? Sorta, but not really?

Well it actually a three surface configuration having convention tail,  wing and small forward wing like classical canard would have. Theoretically this configuration has lowest trim drag and plane is fast, 400KT up high. 

My IA maintains one (and second coming) for Part 135 outfit. Beautiful plane but the other day I found out that one rebuilt brake assy cost $53k! Ouch!

16 hours ago, drstephensugiono said:

Anyone here owns a Mooney Porsche?

There are 15 Mooney M20L's registered in the FAA database: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztomk737xlafrde/M20L registered in USA.jpg?dl=0

You can look them up here: https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Search/MakeModelInquiry

Here are the ones that still have the Porsche engine:

N141MP - registered with a Georgia USA address, but based in and flying in Germany

N134MP & N42MP both registered to David McAlpine in Texas 

N144MP - the one in Texas you're considering

A search of each of the other N-Numbers will show in pictures or ads that the other 12 have all been converted - 11 of them to the IO-550 Ovation engine and 1 of the to a TSIOL (Liquid Rocket). Neither of these conversions are available to be done currently.

My recollection is that most of the then flying fleet were at a Mooney shop  in Florida waiting for new (non porsche ) engines to be installed .  Owners had made a major contribution to the conversion.   A  major hurricane hit and without consulting with the owners of the aircraft , the damaged aircraft  were destroyed and the owners paid what many thought was less than the value.  The shop was in bankruptcy, somewhat clouded in secrecy. 

Edited by stevedietrich

7 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

There are 15 Mooney M20L's registered in the FAA database: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztomk737xlafrde/M20L registered in USA.jpg?dl=0

You can look them up here: https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Search/MakeModelInquiry

Here are the ones that still have the Porsche engine:

N141MP - registered with a Georgia USA address, but based in and flying in Germany

N134MP & N42MP both registered to David McAlpine in Texas (I believe these are the two that were advertised for $60,000 for both that I could have purchased for $40,000 back in 2014)

N144MP - the one in Texas you're considering

A search of each of the other N-Numbers will show in pictures or ads that the other 12 have all been converted - 11 of them to the IO-550 Ovation engine and 1 of the to a TSIOL (Liquid Rocket). Neither of these conversions are available to be done currently.

Here is one that must have dropped from the faa database here at the mooney summit peter o knight field and it’s got a public removal notice posted on it but still has the Porsche engine so @drstephensugiono could probably get it for cheap. 

AB8F7418-2043-497E-98D5-97E1A5FDAE25.jpeg

30C7B125-293D-46D0-9797-92429D1C2362.jpeg

08F81FFD-779A-492B-8332-A1E2769ED920.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Will.iam said:

Here is one that must have dropped from the faa database here at the mooney summit peter o knight field and it’s got a public removal notice posted on it but still has the Porsche engine so @drstephensugiono could probably get it for cheap. 

AB8F7418-2043-497E-98D5-97E1A5FDAE25.jpeg

30C7B125-293D-46D0-9797-92429D1C2362.jpeg

08F81FFD-779A-492B-8332-A1E2769ED920.jpeg

Aha! This is one of the two that were advertised for $60,000, but I could have bought for $40,000. Here is the ad that was out back in early 2014 for it:  https://www.aircraft.com/aircraft/1311857/n155mp-1988-mooney-m20l-pfm

Airports can sell abandoned property to collect overdue rent. If the last owner failed to renew the registration that now expires every 3 years, then the N number could be recycled...

If you want that carcass, I would call the airport and find out how much is needed to clear their lein and go from there...

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

Airports can sell abandoned property to collect overdue rent. If the last owner failed to renew the registration that now expires every 3 years, then the N number could be recycled...

If you want that carcass, I would call the airport and find out how much is needed to clear their lein and go from there...

[/quote
I have left messages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I left messages with them!

5 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Aha! This is one of the two that were advertised for $60,000, but I could have bought for $40,000. Here is the ad that was out back in early 2014 for it:  https://www.aircraft.com/aircraft/1311857/n155mp-1988-mooney-m20l-pfm

Wow i think that plane hasn’t moved since that ad and the florida sun has not been kind to the paint or interior. It’s actually shocking how different those ad pictures look compared to how it looks now. There is a bee’s nest in the front cowling. If it wasn’t for the unobtainium springs i doubt this plane would be worth anything. Sadly there is another mooney right next to it rotting away as well plexiglas all haze cracked glareshield all shredded seats all sun cracked looks like owner abandoned it about the same time as the porshe mooney so with how rapid of deterioration from the ad at 7+ years I’d say it’s about the same age of neglect but not a porshe version so didn’t take picts. Was black paint and I can’t help but think the tanks are shot too. What a sad mess these 2 are. 

Wow i think that plane hasn’t moved since that ad and the florida sun has not been kind to the paint or interior. It’s actually shocking how different those ad pictures look compared to how it looks now. There is a bee’s nest in the front cowling. If it wasn’t for the unobtainium springs i doubt this plane would be worth anything. Sadly there is another mooney right next to it rotting away as well plexiglas all haze cracked glareshield all shredded seats all sun cracked looks like owner abandoned it about the same time as the porshe mooney so with how rapid of deterioration from the ad at 7+ years I’d say it’s about the same age of neglect but not a porshe version so didn’t take picts. Was black paint and I can’t help but think the tanks are shot too. What a sad mess these 2 are. 

I just want the engine for spare if cheap! Thanks for the tip!

Will.iam. Are u base on that airport? Would you mind taking few pictures of the Mooney for me? I would reimburse you for your time thank you

5 minutes ago, drstephensugiono said:

Will.iam. Are u base on that airport? Would you mind taking few pictures of the Mooney for me? I would reimburse you for your time emoji120.png thank you

I’m not based here the mooney summit is here and i came out for the summit. I was looking at all the mooneys that came out and noticed two more on the ramp but when i get closer realized they were abandoned but also noticed one was a porshe mooney and remembered this thread about how hard it was to find a spare engine. That why i peeked inside the engine cowling to confirm it did still have the porshe engine and not the replacement engine porshe had given customers when they bailed out on the project. I’m not sure if I’ll make it back out there before the summit is over but post what pics you would like someone  to get and maybe one of the dozen of mooney owners that are going back out to the airport to fly their plane home can snap the pics at the angles u need to make a decision to  pursue this further I do feel since the notice was dated March 2022 that I doubt this is going to be on the ramp for a few months more before they scrap it or do something to get it off the airport.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drstephensugiono said:

Thanks, contacted airport manager. They know nothing about it! Geez, those people should want to get revenue for the city. LOL

The note is attributed to the CEO of Tampa International Airport.    Maybe there's a management heirarchy and the locals aren't in the loop?

I guess someone from Utah is buying Mooney Porsche N144MP for almost twice as much as what I can buy it for tells me the buyer is a PorschePhile or knows nothing much about the Porsche engine.
If one of the distributor housing cracks, the plane is grounded!
If the valve springs breaks, it’s grounded!
If the reduction gear has too much slack, it’s grounded!
If one of the electronic ignition fails, it’s grounded!
My Porsche mechanic looked at the books/microfiche/parts manual that I accumulated and he said not much is interchangeable!
I guess I was almost willing to pay $45k and take my chances but it sold for $75k.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drstephensugiono said:

I guess someone from Utah is buying Mooney Porsche N144MP for almost twice as much as what I can buy it for tells me the buyer is a PorschePhile or knows nothing much about the Porsche engine.
If one of the distributor housing cracks, the plane is grounded!
If the valve springs breaks, it’s grounded!
If the reduction gear has too much slack, it’s grounded!
If one of the electronic ignition fails, it’s grounded!
My Porsche mechanic looked at the books/microfiche/parts manual that I accumulated and he said not much is interchangeable!
I guess I was almost willing to pay $45k and take my chances but it sold for $75k.

Consider yourself lucky that someone else bought it.