DIY EDM 900 install

bcg

Has anyone installed their own EDM 900? I'm thinking about doing it on my C. My neighbor is an A&P who will help and sign the log book for me so, I won't be totally on my own. I'm pretty familiar with engines as well, having done complete overhauls on every from an air cooled side by side motor to a large diesel in a dump truck.

How much work is the install? The only thing that I hesitate about is drilling into the cylinders for CHT, the rest of it looks pretty straightforward. Even drilling the cylinders is pretty straightforward but, it still makes me a little nervous...

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bcg said:

How much work is the install? The only thing that I hesitate about is drilling into the cylinders for CHT, the rest of it looks pretty straightforward. Even drilling the cylinders is pretty straightforward but, it still makes me a little nervous...

You will not be drilling into any cylinders. The CHT probes on a JPI 900 screw into the bottoms of the cylinders. The EGT probes do require drilling into the exhaust, not the cylinders,  and then are held on by a clamp. 

You will not be drilling into any cylinders. The CHT probes on a JPI 900 screw into the bottoms of the cylinders. The EGT probes do require drilling into the exhaust and then are held on by a clamp. 
Oh, then it's easy. Drilling the exhaust isn't nearly as scary, I've done that on several diesels to install EGT probes. Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

How skilled are you at such tasks?

Lots of wires…

Many sensitive to electrical noise…

EGTs are sensitive to position…

If you have a good example to copy and an A&P to work with…. Sounds like a great project with high value…

PP thoughts only…

-a-

Do it! I did. It's a great sweat equity project...not technically difficult, just tedious. Budget 50-60 hours, and layout your new sensors and required hoses to feed them, then order or make some. Leave service loops for the instrument in the panel, and the engine side. I left enough to un-pin the top of the engine mount so it could be tilted forward for better access to the accessories.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

Do it! I did. It's a great sweat equity project...not technically difficult, just tedious. Budget 50-60 hours, and layout your new sensors and required hoses to feed them, then order or make some. Leave service loops for the instrument in the panel, and the engine side. I left enough to un-pin the top of the engine mount so it could be tilted forward for better access to the accessories.

What type of hose and how much did you end up needing?  What about wires?

As Scot already said, DIY.

I didn't install EDM 900 but the EI CGR-30P and it took me two weekends so, perhaps 40-50h. I found it's quite an easy job albeit it takes time. I took opportunity of removing all of the old original engine instruments as the my engine monitor was primary but at the time I didn't change (redesign) an instrument panel, I just install the blank plates. New panel was installed later with ADSB transponder.

I managed to reuse the existing hoses oil and fuel pressure sensors installed on the firewall but no idea what would you need for EDM. Try to get the install manual in advance and study it. It will tell you what you need to purchase and how to proceed which will speed up the install. I didn't think i needed extra wiring and connectors, EI was quite good with that. I needed to create a sheet metal shelf to support the CPU box but that was easy with sheers and power drill.

Good luck

• Like 1

My 77 had old school oil and fuel pressure lines gong to the panel instruments, thru the firewall...a bad idea! The modern instruments use transducers on the engine side, and then run wires to the instrument. The oil, fuel, and manifold pressure transducers must be connected to the engine with engineered hoses vs just screwing them into the engine. So you'll need those hoses fabricated to fit wherever you choose to mount the transducers. I opted to get the Teflon integral fire sleeve hoses made for everything and like how they turned out. I did not need any extra wiring or other supplies aside from wire tie/lacing, zip ties, and custom hoses mentioned above. The kit was very complete.

• Like 1

My wife and I installed the EDM900 in our C under the supervision of an A&P/IA.   What a fun project!  Instructions are quite good.   We managed to feed all the wires through existing firewall bulkhead fittings, which was a chore.  

The fuel flow transducer install required replacing one hose with two shorter hoses that we had made up by "Precision Hoses" iirc.   Here's a photo of how that install turned out.

1967M20C_JPI_ff_install.jpg

1 hour ago, 0TreeLemur said:

My wife and I installed the EDM900 in our C under the supervision of an A&P/IA.   What a fun project!  Instructions are quite good.   We managed to feed all the wires through existing firewall bulkhead fittings, which was a chore.  

The fuel flow transducer install required replacing one hose with two shorter hoses that we had made up by "Precision Hoses" iirc.   Here's a photo of how that install turned out.

Nice job! How much do you charge for your wife to go out and assist with a JPI900 install? :D

On 8/27/2022 at 11:29 AM, LANCECASPER said:

Nice job! How much do you charge for your wife to go out and assist with a JPI900 install? :D

She's 5'-2".  Mechanically inclined.  Enjoys airplane yoga.

To her credit, she labeled every wire on every circuit breaker, replaced all the breakers, and wired them back up.   She tells people that it gave her a real good chance to get to know our C.

I'll ask.  ;)

• Haha 1