Pirep for Vividia Abelscope

Greg Ellis

So, I have had a Vividia borescope for a few years now.  But the newest version, 5, I believe it is, is night and day difference over the old lower resolution scope.  The latest version is a high res scope that takes great photos and video.  If you want a fairly inexpensive borescope then I recommend checking these out.  And I don’t get any money from them.  Just a very satisfied user.

I am having an issue with one of my cylinders.  I am not posting these pictures to get advice on the cylinder so please refrain from that.  I am posting them to show you the difference between the old version of the Abelscope and the newest version.  And it is not terribly expensive either.  I think it was around $300 or 350 for the WiFi version that connects wirelessly to my iPad.  So just a positive pirep in case anyone was looking to invest in a borescope.

So the first image is from the latest version of the Vividia Abelscope.  The second image is from the older scope with low resolution.

0D61BD38-2102-46BA-9A7D-D4FC48FE973B.png

7BE842CA-5ED2-42A4-9E37-414D5845CE90.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, hammdo said:

Gonna do the same thing - ck exhaust valves!

-Don

From now on, anytime the cowling comes off I’m doing compression checks and borescope.  Because you want to catch it and try to remedy the issue before the cylinder has to come off.  My #2 cylinder was not caught in time.  Last year it was #3.  I think the aviation gods are testing my resolve.  Regardless, I must “endeavor to persevere.”  (Sorry about hijacking the thread.)

image.jpeg.59c8a5c22957b6ae71ea939879df2dac.jpeg

• Sad 1

First of all, let me state for the record, I hate this Greg and all the other Gregs who post these new product photos! Why you ask? Because inevitably I end up buying the gizmo (BTW Greg, thanks for helping me make sure I ordered the correct one).

I have the original borescope and when I saw Greg’s photos, it is clearly a step up from the original product. Not that you didn’t get a decent picture with the original unit, you did. The main reason I hated it was that I had to use an Android device and the software that ran on it. This new version will download to my iOS devices which then will allow me to use LumaFusion to improve the image through the magic of that software.

And you guys torture me for posting fat people pictures. There needs to be a forum bylaw outlawing threads encouraging me and others to violate our Cheap Bast^%d status.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Haha 3

How do I identify the version/revision of the Vividia 'scope I have?  I didn't see any obvious marking on it.

you can’t from any external markings, only in picture resolution. when they first improved the resolution the only way to ensure getting the higher resolution was buy buying it through the manufacturer. There was lots of old stock being sold by distributors with the original resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeOH said:

How do I identify the version/revision of the Vividia 'scope I have?  I didn't see any obvious marking on it.

It does say on the metal case that all of the three I have owned came in.  This is the latest.  The big difference between the older versions and version 5 is that version 5 no longer needs the blue silicone sleeves to protect the articulating head end of the scope.  It now has a black tungsten braided mesh.

A54AD052-99B5-4FD8-A235-1EB074D22AAF.jpeg

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

It does say on the metal case that all of the three I have owned came in.  This is the latest.  The big difference between the older versions and version 5 is that version 5 no longer needs the blue silicone sleeves to protect the articulating head end of the scope.  It now has a black tungsten braided mesh.

I wonder when the metal cases started. My first generation one came in a carboard box. My newer semi-rigid VA-980 comes in a plastic box.

Edited by kortopates

17 minutes ago, kortopates said:

I wonder when the metal cases started. My first generation one came in a carboard box. My newer semi-rigid VA-980 comes in a plastic box.

Not sure.  I think I bought my first one 3-4 years ago I think.  All three have had metal cases.

FYI, I ordered one off of Amazon.

I was a bit worried as I heard about the new high resolution version, but when I got mine, there was a slip in the box pointing out that it was the new high resolution one.

Under $300 with the wifi box.

1 hour ago, Pinecone said:

FYI, I ordered one off of Amazon.

I was a bit worried as I heard about the new high resolution version, but when I got mine, there was a slip in the box pointing out that it was the new high resolution one.

Under $300 with the wifi box.

Can you give a link?

I just got V5 from Amazon. Question for those who have it. The button on the borescope itself should take pictures with a short press. This does not seem to work for me, but it does adjust brightness with a long press.   Anybody else experience this? It does work from the app and the Wi-Fi box. 

19 minutes ago, Skyland said:

Wish I waited six months. I have the lower res version. The button on mine works to take pictures when connected to an Android device but not going through the Wifi box to an iPad. 

Ok…so must be an iOS thing…. Thanks….I did write the distributor a note too, will see what they say.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

What happens when you say “Hey Siri, take a picture”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have Siri turned off, but it does take a picture from the phone.  The seller responded very quickly to my questions and confirmed this is normal.

• Like 1