Ovation/Acclaim Oxygen System

2659AU

Hello from Downunder.

Our oxygen system was due for checking. Tank needed to be replaced, regulator checked out OK, but the to pressure compensating valve has failed at high altitude (18,000' and 25,000'). The only options that the company testing the system has given us is;

1) Send the pressure compensator back to the OEM have them overhaul and then find out what the cost will be after it is fixed.

2) Buy a new one. Unknown delivery time as the OEM makes to order, and still don't know cost.

Either way, taking into account shipping to/from Australia, we will also be unable to use the O2 system for quite while. 

Can anybody suggest where one might be able to buy a pressure compensating valve elsewhere? Or any other options?

I suggest contacting C & L Aero, they're a premier Oxygen system repair station. They overhaul/repair the first stage of our Scott regulators but I understand the second altitude compensating stage can only be function tested and then replaced with an exchange unit which I am sure Jeff can get for you quickly and install on your first stage. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 7:11 AM, 2659AU said:

Hello from Downunder.

Our oxygen system was due for checking. Tank needed to be replaced, regulator checked out OK, but the to pressure compensating valve has failed at high altitude (18,000' and 25,000'). The only options that the company testing the system has given us is;

1) Send the pressure compensator back to the OEM have them overhaul and then find out what the cost will be after it is fixed.

2) Buy a new one. Unknown delivery time as the OEM makes to order, and still don't know cost.

Either way, taking into account shipping to/from Australia, we will also be unable to use the O2 system for quite while. 

Can anybody suggest where one might be able to buy a pressure compensating valve elsewhere? Or any other options?

21 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Talk to Phoebe in San Jose, CA USA. She might have something in stock.

https://www.aviationoxygen.com

Yeah, although I’d look at Av. Oxygen at Reid-Hillview, I’d use it as a last-resort.  I had a rather heated e-mail exchange a few years ago regarding a similar topic to this…whereas, I was seeking a quote for a regulator overhaul, but was told I needed to send it in first.  We discussed my specific configuration and part numbers needing overhaul.  I had a two-week time constraint to get the work done; and based on the work scope, they essentially agreed to it.

I sent in the regulator for evaluation.  After assessing it, they replied with a quote nearly double the original estimate…saying that my altitude-compensating portion of the unit constituted a “second regulator”, and as such, would be charging to “overhaul two regulators”, and to “please build that into my costs.”  What’s worse, is that although they committed to my timeframe, the actual evaluation period they suggested and the time the bottle needed to sit following the work went beyond my 2-week period before shipping both ways from CA to NY was even factored in, yet they failed to acknowledge it when I called it out.  When I eventually cancelled the work, credits back to my card for deposits given were also delayed.  Other reputable shops who have subsequently done the same work to the same regulator (including one by my airport) have said the aforementioned is basically nonsense, and have overhauled it like any other regulator…and nowhere near the cost that Aviation Oxygen wanted.  In both cases, the work quality was excellent, done to FAA standards, and signed off as such.

So, maybe this was partially my fault for not setting more-realistic expectations…and I’ll own that…however, the customer service I experienced, as well as the pricing scheme for service and parts in general was excessively high.  Another example is the transfill system I have for the 3 large “T” tanks for Aviator Breathing Oxygen I own.  The lines, connectors, and all brass hardware were acquired from my welding shop at less than HALF the cost that AO wanted…and the quality was as good, if not better.

There are better options out there.  Unless there are parts you need that ONLY Aviation Oxygen can provide, try Aerox direct…formerly Scott Oxygen systems.  Although I’ve worked with both of the below as well, Ametek did my last overhaul and I was very happy with the timeliness and quality of the work.

1.  https://www.aerox.com

2.  Ametek Ameron - 1350 Lincoln Avenue, Holbrook, NY. 11741.  Tel. +1 631.467.2811 and ask for Tara.

• Like 2

For this regulator i would go right to C&L in Redding, CA.  Jeff runs a great shop.   Aviation Oxygen, Etc. is a broker and outsources the repairs, either to us (Aerox), or to Jeff depending on the equipment.

From C&L's website...

"Please be aware there are companies on the internet that advertise repair and overhaul capabilities which are NOT FAA  repair stations. These companies farm out your equipment, and mark up original invoices.   Please VERIFY your initial      point of contact is certified to service your equipment.  Otherwise, you will overpay for the job.     

C & L Aero has a repair station certificate number #L0JR785Y. "

Scott

• Like 1