EGT probe- how to cover hole

201Steve

io360 J

I have digital engine monitoring now, so we removed the old Alcor EGT probe on cyl 3. Since there was a hole in the exhaust header for the probe, we just left the hose clamp style probe installed to keep the hole plugged.  The clamp has gone Tango Uniform.  What’s the move here to plug the hole? Thx for any feedback. 

F30383A8-BFCA-4FFA-B4A5-956B9915D2C8.jpeg

15 minutes ago, 201Steve said:

What’s the move here to plug the hole?

GeeBee has the right answer, of course.

But, I’ve seen a stainless steel hose clamp cover an unused EGT probe hole in an exhaust riser.  It might leak a little, but some EGT probes leak a little, too.

Try using a center punch to put a dimple in the band.  Place the dimple over the hole.  That might help seal up the hole.

If you want no leaks, get some automotive exhaust header tape.  Amazon sells some tape rated up to 1800F.  Cut a piece off, cover the hole and hold it on with a hose clamp.

Don’t beat me up.  I’m just thinking out loud.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 201Steve said:

io360 J

I have digital engine monitoring now, so we removed the old Alcor EGT probe on cyl 3. Since there was a hole in the exhaust header for the probe, we just left the hose clamp style probe installed to keep the hole plugged.  The clamp has gone Tango Uniform.  What’s the move here to plug the hole? Thx for any feedback. 

F30383A8-BFCA-4FFA-B4A5-956B9915D2C8.jpeg

Welded would be the best long term solution, but there would be nothing wrong with leaving the old probe in place, I’ve also seen Monel Cherry max rivets used until welding is available.

By the way you normally shouldn’t secure engine monitor wiring to ignition wires.

+1 for welding the hole closed…

Leaving an old un-used sensor in the hole… you may not notice it go missing, leaving a source of hot exhaust and CO under the cowl….

If you still have the old EGT gauge in the panel… consider getting a new probe to fit in the hole… Alcor probes are relatively low cost and last eons…

Follow up question….

what is this hole in the reinforcement layer of the exhaust pipe for?

It looks like a calibrated location to put an EGT sensor(?)

Best regards,

-a-

EA87E4AC-5653-430A-BB9B-7AAC96BAD5F9.png

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

what is this hole in the reinforcement layer of the exhaust pipe for?

There is only a hole in the reinforcement layer but not in the main tube itself. Looks funny but it’s sealed up. 

9 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Is it normal to use red RTV on exhaust gaskets?

I don’t know

• Like 1

10 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

It’s normal, but not correct. Cheaper and easier than new gaskets, but doesn’t really work. If you have the option use “no blow” gaskets

Zoom in on the picture, it sure looks like a 77611 spiral wound blow proof gasket to me.  A large number of maintainers use RTV, not really sure if it really improves things or not.