Mooney down near PIA

This is largely off-topic, but our discussion here reminded me of this interview.  Fascinating and impressive humility and performance from a P-51 pilot faced with a will-I-make-the-field-or-won't-I decision.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/may/17/inside-a-p-51-engine-out-off-airport-landing

The video at the top of the article is only a few minutes long.  The one linked from the bottom is more than a half hour.  Both are very much worth a watch. 

On 8/15/2022 at 12:13 AM, MooneyMitch said:

My experience...... gear unlocked ( mechanical linkage failure), asphalt runway, flaps fully extended, approximately 65 mph approach speed, calm winds, minimal floating prior to ground contact.....aircraft slid approximately 150 feet before coming to a stop, with only a slight loss of straight forward direction. 

This crash is just so heartbreaking.  So very sad for the loved ones left behind.

I had a complete extension failure on one main gear and retracted the other two to land gear up.  The FAA measured my skid at about 330 feet.  They based the starting point on marks and debris on the runway.  I wonder if your partially extended gear decreased your skid distance.

• 2 weeks later...

There are ones you read about where the pilot isn't dealt a good hand to work with, like the engine coming apart over inhospitable terrain. But to see another fuel starvation accident that was totally preventable is really sad. Deciding not to plan for IFR or even VFR reserves was a poor choice. Then it  appears that trying to save the airplane by landing on pavement, the highway, and not landing in a field was another poor choice that didn't end well. Successful flights are made up of good decisions and we never hear about those , unfortunately the opposite is true of bad decisions turning into unsuccessful outcomes and we hear about those too often. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

There are ones you read about where the pilot isn't dealt a good hand to work with, like the engine coming apart over inhospitable terrain. But to see another fuel starvation accident that was totally preventable is really sad. Deciding not to plan for IFR or even VFR reserves was a poor choice. Then it  appears that trying to save the airplane by landing on pavement, the highway, and not landing in a field was another poor choice that didn't end well. Successful flights are made up of good decisions and we never hear about those , unfortunately the opposite is true of bad decisions turning into unsuccessful outcomes and we hear about those too often. 

And so does the non flying general public.  Or in this case they get to see the video of an airplane careening down a road.

Non judgmental, If anyone has any surviving children's contact info, please let me know. Lets be careful in assigning age as the reason. Most people who own and fly are now eligible for Social Security, we will continue to see plane incidents, accidents that involve aged pilots at a greater number than 20 year olds.

I am fortunate a 17 year old trusts my 71 year old butt to fly his acclaim whenever I want.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...