External power for m20

I am perusing the STC's available for my M20F and cant find an external power plug stc. Do any of the Mooney aircraft have EPU plugs? I would like to poer the aircraft from an external source without having to open the side panel and battery box every time!

my 75F has one on it.   You might try the salvage yards.   It's a relay, female connector and brackets that attach to the top of the battery box.   Also might get the battery door for the little hatch door.    Try Greely colorado salvage yard.   They had an F they were parting out.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jpravi8tor said:

So I found this... is there an external door? where is the door?

On my 66' E model the power access door is part of the side access panel, pilot side empenage.  The power receptacle is inside it but not attached to the door, makes it easier to remove the panel :).   

1867843200_Batterydoor.JPG.a4130e70badc88b2bd583cd68fff037f.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BobbyH said:

On my 66' E model the power access door is part of the side access panel, pilot side empenage.  The power receptacle is inside it but not attached to the door, makes it easier to remove the panel :).   

1867843200_Batterydoor.JPG.a4130e70badc88b2bd583cd68fff037f.JPG

That’s a nice set up but I do not believe it is stock.

3 hours ago, Jpravi8tor said:

I am perusing the STC's available for my M20F and cant find an external power plug stc. Do any of the Mooney aircraft have EPU plugs? I would like to poer the aircraft from an external source without having to open the side panel and battery box every time!

I don’t think you need an STC. A good mechanic can add one with a logbook entry.

6 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Amazing the things you can find on the Mooney website.

5FF6A909-4A52-4E20-A9FC-1647EF2D5853.jpeg

I still don’t believe that it was an option in 66. Any idea why all the carbureted models are omitted? I know the batteries are up front but it seems that could be accounted for,

20 hours ago, Jpravi8tor said:

So I found this... is there an external door? where is the door?

Image 1 - Mooney Battery Box Lid Cover With External Power Receptical and Contactor 

That's it.   And the lid to the battery box.    Assumes your battery is in the back like the rest of the 75. f.      A decent sheet metal AP could build the access door.    It is wired so the battery is cut out of circuit when the top of the three pins is energized.   Will send schematics when I get home.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I still don’t believe that it was an option in 66. Any idea why all the carbureted models are omitted? I know the batteries are up front but it seems that could be accounted for,

Might be further down the list for the C, D and G.  Right after I bought my C, I was trying to fill in some blanks.  Soon after my airplane was built it went to Canada for 20 years.  The original logbooks stayed there, so I am missing the first 200 hours or so.  I called Mooney and asked if they had the weight and balance info on my s/n.  Shortly after, I got an email with all the original equipment list and W&B.

On the equipment list was item 12E, External Power Supply, #950183-501, 1.8 pounds, 1.5" arm.  Yep, a couple inches in front of the firewall.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

Might be further down the list for the C, D and G.  Right after I bought my C, I was trying to fill in some blanks.  Soon after my airplane was built it went to Canada for 20 years.  The original logbooks stayed there, so I am missing the first 200 hours or so.  I called Mooney and asked if they had the weight and balance info on my s/n.  Shortly after, I got an email with all the original equipment list and W&B.

On the equipment list was item 12E, External Power Supply, #950183-501, 1.8 pounds, 1.5" arm.  Yep, a couple inches in front of the firewall.

Like I said, I don’t know when they introduced it, but I don’t think it was an option in ‘66. Your bird is a ‘75.