Oder to get things done. M20C

So I just purchased my new to me 1962 M20C from the original owner. I am a A&P and have been working on planes since 1994. I know that things need to be done to bring the aircraft to my liking and I just want to share and let you add your own input for comparison.

-Mags are approx 75 hours till the 500hr   IRAN. I am only going to do one the other will become a EMag. This is probably my #1 task.

Next items I have yet to figure a order for.

-Propeller 1500 hours on it. Will need a hub reseal and IRAN on hub.

-Prop regulator, no leaks same age/time as prop.

-Carburetor  no idea on time still reviewing logs. 

-Alternator nearly 2000 hours on it, no issues but probably needs a IRAN I will add bearings replaced on that request too.

-Engine 1900 hours on it I plan to run it on condition till it needs fixing. Not going to Euthanize a functional engine.

just curious what other owners would do if this list was theirs.

• Like 1

Sounds good to me.

Afriend just bought a turbo Comanche. He said it wouldn’t hold RPM, so he sent the prop off. I told him it was probably the governor, so he sent it off too. The governor was leaking so bad internally that it took $1500 in parts to fix it. They scrapped the hub on the prop too. 1500 hours is a lot of time. How many years?

From the original owner… wow.  

What experience A&P are you?  Military?  Airlines?  Regardless, you can figure this out.  I would suggest that first you get yourself a set of gear tools and get the gear rigging verified.   After that, use the search function and ask questions.  You’ll be fine.  Vintage Mooney’s are quirky, but not rocket science.

We need pictures…

CONGRATS!

During the pre-buy I had a Mooney familiar mechanic look over the airplane.  On the gear it only needed a little extra lube and a AD complied with on the Yokes. I had that done. The airplane has lived it’s entire life in the dry deserts of California in a hanger north east of LA. I do plan on purchasing the gear tools because I want to go over this plane in fine detail during the next 2 years. As far as my experience I am former military, GA mech and airline. I am almost a jack of all trades. I know heavy structures repair, engines, rigging, electrical ect. If I have a manual I can fight it out in time.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Will!

If you want… there is a near hidden edit button for the title…

By editing the first post, the title is attached to that…

The menu looks like three dots …

:)

Order of things…

1) Is this a forever plane?

2) +1 for Steingar’s book of priorities…

3) Learn about your carb… many are very worn without their owners knowing how worn they really are…

My M20C had a very worn accelerator pump, and carb heat system was in terrible condition…

All things I learned about after joining MS…

4) separate your mag maintenance over time…  don’t have them worked on at the same time…  too many goofy things can happen with maintenance induce issues…

Go MS!

-a-

On 8/10/2022 at 11:20 PM, Will74 said:

So I just purchased my new to me 1962 M20C from the original owner. I am a A&P and have been working on planes since 1994. I know that things need to be done to bring the aircraft to my liking and I just want to share and let you add your own input for comparison.

-Mags are approx 75 hours till the 500hr   IRAN. I am only going to do one the other will become a EMag. This is probably my #1 task.

Next items I have yet to figure a order for.

-Propeller 1500 hours on it. Will need a hub reseal and IRAN on hub.

-Prop regulator, no leaks same age/time as prop.

-Carburetor  no idea on time still reviewing logs. 

-Alternator nearly 2000 hours on it, no issues but probably needs a IRAN I will add bearings replaced on that request too.

-Engine 1900 hours on it I plan to run it on condition till it needs fixing. Not going to Euthanize a functional engine.

just curious what other owners would do if this list was theirs.

First things to consider in my opinion, Shoulder belts if not already installed. Engine hoses, powerplant controls. Exhaust system.

Clarence