M20C Value

The owner of this C at my field had a stroke and this may be going on the market soon. From what I’ve been told he is the original owner and the plane only has 1230 hours total time. 

Very clean, very original, paint is maybe 5 years old and in great shape. Tanks show evidence of leaking from the little drain hole in front of the lower inboard access panel, no smell in the cabin. This plus the lack of use and avionics make it hard to price. What do you guys think?

F228479F-F996-4231-B977-268996573D41.jpeg

4925F884-9DDF-40F2-B1DE-D719A8A73E46.jpeg

1B23C42D-D8F0-430F-9B16-644FE82663C6.jpeg

7A4FD60A-69A1-4317-8268-C4781D51D0BD.jpeg

780BC65F-9CDF-438C-ADD9-F6E2DCAB915A.jpeg

53EC514D-6C46-4D45-ACAE-63507771917D.jpeg

I would strongly advise the family have the plane sold through a professional broker like Jimmy Garrison. He’ll not only know how to price it, but can deal with any issues that might need to be dealt with before sale is complete (such as if it’s out of annual); including the sale.
You have a better idea from how serious the stroke was if the owner will be able to recover enough to fly again; but most often not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I agreed to 58AMU for a 63C that has a G5, S-Tec 50 2 axis AP with altitude hold, an older IFR capable GPS and relatively recent leather seats.  PPI is scheduled for this weekend and we're going to do it as an annual so the price might change but, I expect it to be as represented since it's being flown 5 - 10 hours per week.

4 hours ago, Hank said:

Wow, it has square rear windows, but short rudder and old cowl with many, many screws.

And a glove compartment! :D

FAA shows it to be a 1965 which would have the square windows, short rudder and cam-locks on the cowl, which can also be seen in the photos…or at least my E had all that…dig’n the glove box

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lamont337 said:

Very clean, very original, paint is maybe 5 years old and in great shape. Tanks show evidence of leaking from the little drain hole in front of the lower inboard access panel, no smell in the cabin. This plus the lack of use and avionics make it hard to price. What do you guys think?

FlightAware shows the last sortie in 1999, 22 years ago, in California.  Now the airplane is in the Detroit area?  Regardless, I’d be concerned with inactivity since there’s (apparently) no recent flight activity.  No ADSB, perhaps?

NTSB says a gear-up in 1967.  Probably not an issue today, if properly documented.  Logbook entries have evolved quite a bit from that era.  If it’s corrosion free, it certainly could be a resurrection project… for the right price.  In reality, it might be worth more in salvage value.  Just the engine and fuel tanks could push restoration into the 50 amu range, and you haven’t touched the avionics, interior, or paint.  

That is an amazing specimen of an aircraft that (with the exception of the center radio stack) hasn't been modified in any way since it left the factory! 

You have to assume that the engine has to be overhauled, avionics and instrumentation replaced, interior redone, donuts replaced, fuel tanks sealed.  There are probably a bunch of ADs such as the Dukes fuel pump and engine mounts that need to be complied with.  Prop might be ok, who knows.  Price it accordingly.

On the good side, the airframe and interior plastic appear to be in good shape.  If that's true, then the aircraft has all the makings of being a straightforward, predictable upgrade project rather than a nightmare where you're dealing with corrosion. Definitely would be worth doing. The sheet metal and what little I can see from the underside looks pristine.  The yellow color was apparently repainted or touched up at some point (note the overspray in the engine photo), but the rest of the paint looks original to me.

Attaching for reference are photos of my '65 C in 1986, just after I purchased it.  It had the original paint and a mostly-original panel.

1965 M20C N5936Q, November 1896.jpg

1965 M20C N5936Q, panel, November 1986.jpg

• Like 1

My 65C looked like that… once.  :)

Amazing what 5k+ hours over several different pilots, and a few decades of living outside, can wear into every surface of the plane….

+1 for using Jimmy…

This is a great specimen that can probably use Jimmy’s ability to address details for the sale….

Bets regards,

-a-

On 8/12/2022 at 11:58 PM, Bob E said:

1965 M20C N5936Q, panel, November 1986.jpg

Wow, speaking of old panel... What is the Mooney marked radio on the copilot panel? Narco? Does it work? 

I recognize the old paint job. I always wondered how my 67F was when left the factory. It seems it had some yellow trim but can't say for certain is it was painted over in early 80s and then again by myself in 2007.

The old radio appears to be a Narco Mark 12A branded for Mooney. My 1965 C had one, less the Mooney decal. Most of the older ones were 90 comm channels.  In 1979, my first airplane had a 12B, we installed a crystal kit in it to upgrade to 360 comm channels. Yes, really.

Picture does not show the KN74 Rnav under the bottom edge of the panel.

13BBCB44-0816-4DB4-838E-9E79EA26000C.jpeg.f92460f0effed747280241f2da9edf5d.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Igor_U said:

Wow, speaking of old panel... What is the Mooney marked radio on the copilot panel? Narco? Does it work? 

I recognize the old paint job. I always wondered how my 67F was when left the factory. It seems it had some yellow trim but can't say for certain is it was painted over in early 80s and then again by myself in 2007.

It was a Narco Mark 12 nav/com with vacuum tubes!  Yep, 90 com channels. It worked in 1986 but I removed it shortly thereafter.

• Like 1