Single Owner or Partnership

GaryP1007

Sole owner of a 1979 231 which I promptly put a new panel and new interior in....no discussion.....now I'd consider a partner since I have the plane the way I want it, and would love to have a friend who will love it and fly it the way I do.  Perhaps a friend who'll fly it better than I do would be more appropriate, he/she can't love it more however! Ray 

Sole owner.  My flying hours are entirely dependent on if I own or not (own=fly more).  I only had my plane available for a short time last year and flew a grand total of 56 hours, including dual given.

So far this year I'm pushing 20 hours in January (business and personal flying combined) and have a lot of flying on the books before the plane goes into GAMI install/annual on February 14.

Quote: pjsny78

but in my case of flying 50hrs a month on avg.

Partnership. My plane partner and I are good friends, he's a cfi, I'm the mech in need of an ifr ticket. We both always work on it together for the most part, split fixed cost/upgrades, leave it how you found it (full tanks).  Neither of us fly enough to have a scheduling issue and trips take priority over flying around for fun, our work days are opposite. Couldn't work out any better. It's the only way either of us can afford to "own" our own airplane. 

Partnership. In the 1.5 years that I've been in the partnership, I haven't had a single scheduling conflict. Everybody takes care of it as if they were the sole owner and nary will you find a spent McDonald's wrapper on the floor.

The maintenance expenses have been very reasonable up to this point. We had the AI overhauled last month at a cost of $2,200 and I cringe when I think about having to have paid for that by myself. The fixed costs of a hangar and insurance are so reasonable I could probably pay for it each month with change I find between the sofa cushions.

We are all on the same page in terms of upgrades and adding the GTN last spring was not an issue at all. We know the importance of maintenance and do what needs to be done, when it needs to get done. There's no screwing around in that area.

I am very pleased with the arrangement and probably wouldn't have it any other way given the 90 hours I flew it last year.

I am currently wrestling with this decision.  Buying a M20J on my own or a three person partnership in a G2 SR22; I know they are not the same aircraft.  I can afford the solo ownership of the J I have already picked out but reasonable estimate of 80 - 100 hours a year makes the hourly cost higher then a third of a plane that flies 225 hours per year.  Most of my flying is mid week for work but my daughter and I enjoy the weekend $100 dollar breakfest also. I am leaning towards sole ownership in a J as that is the aircraft I have always wanted.  The more I learn about the SR22 and haven flown one the more I don't like the plane. 

Of course if I pull the trigger on the Mooney I will anounce it hear with pictures. Laughing

Erik

Quote: Jasper180

I am currently wrestling with this decision.  Buying a M20J on my own or a three person partnership in a G2 SR22; I know they are not the same aircraft.  I can afford the solo ownership of the J I have already picked out but reasonable estimate of 80 - 100 hours a year makes the hourly cost higher then a third of a plane that flies 225 hours per year.  Most of my flying is mid week for work but my daughter and I enjoy the weekend $100 dollar breakfest also. I am leaning towards sole ownership in a J as that is the aircraft I have always wanted.  The more I learn about the SR22 and haven flown one the more I don't like the plane. 

Of course if I pull the trigger on the Mooney I will anounce it hear with pictures. Laughing

Erik

I fly for my pleasure (not for business). Owning does not and will never make money sense when compared to renting or to being in a partnership (whether it s brand B, C or P). Owning is to satisfy my ego. So ... might as well owning all of it !