Weather Radar on the Ground when at Home

211º

More and more, I find that I "just go to" ForeFlight to see the weather and storms around me - what I mean is that instead of using all of the different "Weather+" and "Radar++" apps that I have downloaded to my phone, the ForeFlight app gives me everything I need without being (or requiring) fiddling. Has anyone else defaulted to this.(By the way, it looks like I'm not cutting the lawn anytime soon.)

image.jpeg.c73a111e44d262f6bf0214d3570418d5.jpeg

I was slaving away in this guys home office working out the bugs in an embedded command system, when I flipped open my IPad to ForeFlight and said "It is time for me to go! The sky is falling!

It is good to have that information. You can see what I'm talking about (N5828A) on FlightAware. The Mooney is down for tank repair, I had to take the spare plane... The trip only takes 13 minutes longer.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

I use ezwxbrief a lot as well as ForeFlight. I like EzWxBrief’s flight route planning and all the weather options it provides. Also Dr. Scott does a great daily brief on YouTube. Nope, I’m not paid to say that, I just like the product. ;o)

-Don

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hammdo said:

I use ezwxbrief a lot as well as ForeFlight. I like EzWxBrief’s flight route planning and all the weather options it provides. Also Dr. Scott does a great daily brief on YouTube. Nope, I’m not paid to say that, I just like the product. ;o)

-Don

I’ll second EzWxbrief.  Excellent source for weather and weather planning.  And his YouTube videos every weekday morning are excellent if planning a trip or just want to learn about weather.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hammdo said:

I use ezwxbrief a lot. I like EzWxBrief’s flight route planning and all the weather options it provides. Also Dr. Scott does a great daily brief on YouTube.

Thanks!  Personally when I want to really see all the details of the radar depiction I use the Radarscope app.  That way I can see the velocity data as well as the Dual Pol data. Gust fronts, outflow boundaries, microbursts, etc. all show up nicely on this app.  Caught this microburst from the TDWR near Charlotte the other day with some pulse-type convection in the area.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cg2rbsqM9i0/ 

Edited by Scott Dennstaedt, PhD
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I use WeatherBug app as it uses local weather stations at fire departments and police stations. I find when a cold front is blowing through and the temp drops 20 degrees in seconds not minutes, weather bug is reporting it real time where as other apps like Wunderground, dark sky, RainAware, weather channel, and weather app in iPhone lag anywhere from 5 to 15 mins later. RainAware was designed with golfers in mind as it tells you the rain forecast in the next three hours and is pretty accurate as is dark sky but dark sky only does 1 hour out. Good for timing walk arounds on through flights.  WeatherMap is fantastic for world wide weather systems at 3 hour intervals for the next 7 days! Great long range planner especially if going long distances. And best part is it’s a ONE TIME fee. Best deal of all as I hate the subscription bleed. Speaking of subscriptions WeatherSpork is a  phenomenal Aviation weather app with its cloud layer view you can see the vertical cloud layers as well as the freezing layer to your destination as well as time slider to see when the best time to launch in a 3 day window.  Just wished it wasn’t so expensive to use. Does have a free 30 day trial to see what you have been missing. And when I have a long trip ahead with weather coming I stomach the fee and buy a months worth. 

Rain cells were passing through NJ today…

quick and easy… I was updating WingX, so I looked at the current weather as well…

I have seen a few of the daily YouTubes by Dr. Scott D as well…

I’m getting more familiar with the YT…

Best regards,

-a-

Regarding WeatherSpork being expensive, you can pay what it’s worth to you. When planning a long trip I always start with EZWXBRIEF for its completeness, learning more about soundings from his resources. As the trip goes closer I use ForeFlight, r brief and others. His depiction of clouds, turbulence and winds a great for a quick last look. The days of watching the weather channel talking to a briefer who trying to keep you on the ground are thankfully gone. I find the skew t log also great a trying to find the layers enroute, winds etc at altitude 

• Like 1