Weather Radar on the Ground when at Home

More and more, I find that I "just go to" ForeFlight to see the weather and storms around me - what I mean is that instead of using all of the different "Weather+" and "Radar++" apps that I have downloaded to my phone, the ForeFlight app gives me everything I need without being (or requiring) fiddling. Has anyone else defaulted to this.(By the way, it looks like I'm not cutting the lawn anytime soon.)

image.jpeg.c73a111e44d262f6bf0214d3570418d5.jpeg

18 minutes ago, 211º said:

Has anyone else defaulted to this.

I use Wi-Fi 90% at home, but when I'm out, I have a SIM card from Ting so I pay a low, fixed amount each month, and then just for the data I use.  This also allows me to use my iPad like a phone via VOIP.

I was slaving away in this guys home office working out the bugs in an embedded command system, when I flipped open my IPad to ForeFlight and said "It is time for me to go! The sky is falling!

It is good to have that information. You can see what I'm talking about (N5828A) on FlightAware. The Mooney is down for tank repair, I had to take the spare plane... The trip only takes 13 minutes longer.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

I use ezwxbrief a lot as well as ForeFlight. I like EzWxBrief’s flight route planning and all the weather options it provides. Also Dr. Scott does a great daily brief on YouTube. Nope, I’m not paid to say that, I just like the product. ;o)

-Don

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hammdo said:

I use ezwxbrief a lot as well as ForeFlight. I like EzWxBrief’s flight route planning and all the weather options it provides. Also Dr. Scott does a great daily brief on YouTube. Nope, I’m not paid to say that, I just like the product. ;o)

-Don

I’ll second EzWxbrief.  Excellent source for weather and weather planning.  And his YouTube videos every weekday morning are excellent if planning a trip or just want to learn about weather.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hammdo said:

I use ezwxbrief a lot. I like EzWxBrief’s flight route planning and all the weather options it provides. Also Dr. Scott does a great daily brief on YouTube.

Thanks!  Personally when I want to really see all the details of the radar depiction I use the Radarscope app.  That way I can see the velocity data as well as the Dual Pol data. Gust fronts, outflow boundaries, microbursts, etc. all show up nicely on this app.  Caught this microburst from the TDWR near Charlotte the other day with some pulse-type convection in the area.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cg2rbsqM9i0/ 

Edited by Scott Dennstaedt, PhD
  • Like 1