Looking for CFI in the Long Island NY area and a couple of questions from a new/prospective buyer

Appalachia

Hello, I'm considering buying a local M20C and Avemco has asked that I get 10 hours dual before I solo. I fly out of KFRG but could commute easily to HPN, LDJ, and HPN. I don't have my instrument ticket yet and it would be nice to find someone on a long-term basis to help me get the ticket in my own Mooney. 

Some questions though: 

This 1975 aircraft is missing logbooks from before 1983 and it had a gear up in 1980. Is this a deal breaker? How could I mitigate risk with the prebuy?

How friendly are m20s for shorter pilots? I'm 5'6 and sometimes struggle to see over the nose in some Archers

I'm looking in earnest and considering other m20s as they pop up near me but trying to focus on aircraft that I can get to easily in a short hop because the prebuy cycle seems very intimidating when I have to take a commercial flight to get there

I fly out of KFRG and have a guy.  Sending you a PM.

On the sitting low part, I added one of those Tempur-Pedic cushions after my first long cross country and the added benefit is that they raise you a little too.  So check out the various desk and other cushions.

Missing logbooks might give you a little room in negotiation, but maybe not much in this market.  Has the plane been flying or sitting for any extended period of time?  If the plane has been flying and has gone through 42 IA sign offs since the gear up and 39 sign offs since the logbooks went missing, odds are there not much out of wack from way back then.  Not to say there may not be other issues, which is true with any plane.

Edited by PeteMc
  • Like 1

I personally use Bill Jensen, just finished up my IR with him and he was great to work with. There is also Jack Napoli who I have talked to on the phone and seems like a nice guy but he is based out east and Bill was closer to ISP where my plane is. I can PM you either of their contact info if interested.

Definitely get a good checkout by a shop that knows Mooneys. I use AirMods in NJ and they have always done a really good job with their work. Missing logs that old shouldnt be that large of an issue if the damage is repaired correctly and since its such an old repair and flying since then it should be "more" ok. Still needs to be inspected though.

I am 5'10" with shorter legs (31" inseam) I can reach the pedals without issues and you wont have any issues seeing over the cowl.

Im based at ISP if you want to checkout a J model shoot me a DM and ill gladly have you swing by my hangar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Appalachia said:

Hello, I'm considering buying a local M20C and Avemco has asked that I get 10 hours dual before I solo. I fly out of KFRG but could commute easily to HPN, LDJ, and HPN. I don't have my instrument ticket yet and it would be nice to find someone on a long-term basis to help me get the ticket in my own Mooney. 

Some questions though: 

This 1975 aircraft is missing logbooks from before 1983 and it had a gear up in 1980. Is this a deal breaker? How could I mitigate risk with the prebuy?

How friendly are m20s for shorter pilots? I'm 5'6 and sometimes struggle to see over the nose in some Archers

I'm looking in earnest and considering other m20s as they pop up near me but trying to focus on aircraft that I can get to easily in a short hop because the prebuy cycle seems very intimidating when I have to take a commercial flight to get there

White planes is so good you mentioned it twice!

:)

You will really like the M20C!

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Appalachia said:

1 hour ago, dzeleski said:

I personally use Bill Jensen, just finished up my IR with him and he was great to work with. There is also Jack Napoli who I have talked to on the phone and seems like a nice guy but he is based out east and Bill was closer to ISP where my plane is. I can PM you either of their contact info if interested.

I'd second Bill Jensen in a minute.  He was an airline reference for me, as well as a good guy to get experience in a variety of aircraft.  His DPE of choice is a tough cookie, but fair and thorough.  @dzeleski and I are hangared about 200 feet apart from each other in the same airpark, so without stepping on his toes, am also happy to help out with anything you need.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dzeleski said:

I use AirMods in NJ

I also use Air Mods and highly recommend them.

Dave Mathiesen  Air Mods & Repair, Inc.  609-259-2400  Trenton-Robinsville Airport, NJ (N87)

Edited by PeteMc
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, carusoam said:

White planes is so good you mentioned it twice!

:)

You will really like the M20C!

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

-a-

WHoops! I meant to put ISP there :p 

Appreciate the advice and well wishes all. I will call Airmods and see if they have some time soon to go do a prebuy with me soon. I'm excited to fly Mooney!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

I'd second Bill Jensen in a minute.  He was an airline reference for me, as well as a good guy to get experience in a variety of aircraft.  His DPE of choice is a tough cookie, but fair and thorough.  @dzeleski and I are hangared about 200 feet apart from each other in the same airpark, so without stepping on his toes, am also happy to help out with anything you need.

Steve

No toes stepped, you told me about Bill to begin with and have way more experience in this game then I do ;)

I will also agree his DPE is tough but if you pass you know you actually passed. My IR ride was honest but to the book.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Appalachia said:

This 1975 aircraft is missing logbooks from before 1983 and it had a gear up in 1980. Is this a deal breaker? 

That’s a personal decision,

If Paul was around here still, he would say—- No, it’s been flying for 40 years after the repairs.

• Like 1

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20C&listing_id=2408614&s-type=aircraft

Since there are so many of you local, here's the listing I'm currently considering. I figure I feel a little safer getting a nearly TBO'd engine as a known quantity that I can prepare to overhaul in the next couple of years vs unknown mid-time engines

Edited by Appalachia

A couple of things.

Engine is high time.  May run for a lot of hours, may need an overhaul soon.

They say 5 hours on prop, but show it as 11/16.  If Nov 2016, that is not a lot of hours.  Even if they mean Nov 16, 2021, it has sat for a bit.

I would make sure that the pre-buy shop knows about the gear up to take a good look to make sure there are no lingering issues.  Not likely, but better to look for it specifically.

8 hours ago, Pinecone said:

Engine is high time. 

The one advantage of a high time engine, assuming no issues, is that you can fly it hard in your initial learning and training time.  Then once you've learned your plane and the subtle differences of the Mooney, you can be much gentler on the new engine.

@Appalachia Cs are great planes, very capable and versatile. I just came home fro  a grass strip at the beach, 3.5 hours versus 11-12 had we driven . . . . And I've flown mine all over the Appalachians, spending my first seven years of ownership in West-by-Gawd, Virginny, and visiting family in western NC and eastern PA.

16 hours ago, dzeleski said:

I am 5'10" with shorter legs (31" inseam) I can reach the pedals without issues and you wont have any issues seeing over the cowl.

Even though I'm 5'11", I sit on a tapered cushion, 2" on the tall end. I was having trouble landing smoothly, and the lift to see the tip of the cowl really helped. My wife, 5'3", sits on 3 chair cushions . . . . With her seat in the first locked position, she can stretch out her legs and not touch the pedals.

16 hours ago, dzeleski said:

Side note, reach out to @Parker_Woodruff for an insurance quote. He beat Avemco for me by quite a bit and Parker is awesome to work with.

Parker is great! I've been using him for the last several years.

Good luck with your PPI! Here's to no surprises. 

15 hours ago, PeteMc said:

The one advantage of a high time engine, assuming no issues, is that you can fly it hard in your initial learning and training time.  Then once you've learned your plane and the subtle differences of the Mooney, you can be much gentler on the new engine.

True.  I would be fine with buying higher time, but would want to make sure it was reflected in the price.

And also, realizing that overhaul times for good shops are MANY months.   CAP C-182 I fly ate a piston.  The engine has been at the overhaul shop for 2 - 3 months, and it is #63 in line.

On 8/5/2022 at 2:16 PM, Appalachia said:

Hello, I'm considering buying a local M20C...

I am 5'6" - I have been flying an M20J for about 25 years.  The seats are standard (not the fully adjustable option) and I sit on a tapered cushion.  I also have a lumbar cushion.  The rudder pedals are just standard - no extensions.  No problems.

Edited by 1980Mooney

• 2 weeks later...