Aspen Questions

My (new to me) plane has an Aspen 1000 PFD installed.  It also has a G5.  But it has kept the Airspeed, Altitude, and Turn & Bank.  Are the round gauges necessary?  Or is something else needed?   It seems the 2 panel Aspen setups don't require the round gauges.

If the setup allows removal of the round gauges, would I get OK with an Aspen 500 MFD?  Or should it be a 1000 MFD?  And if so, why?

What every happened to Aspen Connected Panel?  Is it still around?  And if so, does it connect to GTN navigators.

I don't know about the G5 qualifying or not as a backup with the Aspen and the best answer would come from your Avionics shop.  I do remember some discussions that the the G5 was specifically built for backup to some Garmin displays.  I went with the GI275 which does qualify, so I was able to remove my vacuum system.

If you went with a second Aspen, it would need to be a 1000 as the 500 is just a display, hence the "MFD" designation.  You'd need a second "PFD" to backup your first one.  In theory that's what the G5 is, but the question is if it's certified for your plane to be a backup.

Your GPS should connect directly to the Aspen as long as the GPS has ARINC 429 and/or RS-232, which most newer units do.  There is no need for the Aspen Connected Panel.  My Aspen is connected to both my GTN and GNC devices. 

Edited by PeteMc
  • Like 1

My (new to me) plane has an Aspen 1000 PFD installed.  It also has a G5.  But it has kept the Airspeed, Altitude, and Turn & Bank.  Are the round gauges necessary?  Or is something else needed?   It seems the 2 panel Aspen setups don't require the round gauges.
If the setup allows removal of the round gauges, would I get OK with an Aspen 500 MFD?  Or should it be a 1000 MFD?  And if so, why?
What every happened to Aspen Connected Panel?  Is it still around?  And if so, does it connect to GTN navigators.

Reach out to Andy Smith at Aspen. He is on the Facebook Aspen User Group and answers a lot of questions like these. At one point, the Aspen 1000 required standby instruments but there have been some changes that will allow the elimination (requires the Max version, extended battery pack, etc.).

I went with an ESI-500 for the backup to my Aspen 2000 (both units are 1000 units). Even though I could eliminate the backup instruments, I still wanted an independent AI and Nav indicator(belt plus suspenders kind of guy). The ESI-500 can support Nav input as well as it’s own magnometer.

aeb9c333d700359406f20f44563cebfb.jpg

2e859364428560e218607e8c45b5f82f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the input.

I already have a standby AI (G-5), back up nav display (GTN-650 and iPad and old school King NAV/COM with indicator).

I will call Andy next week.

Wondering if this route makes sense, or go G3X.

I think getting a quote from an avionics shop on the cost of the conversion will answer that question for you.

The conversion to a G3x would have one problem for you: your autopilot. Aspen interfaces extremely well with the Stec autopilot. At least with the 55x. I can manage most of its functions (alt, vertical speed and Hdg) from my aspen. I believe the G3x does not play that well with the Stec.

8faef54b1be4cb8af5b641025c1b1c3f.jpg

12 hours ago, Oscar Avalle said:

The conversion to a G3x would have one problem for you: your autopilot. Aspen interfaces extremely well with the Stec autopilot. At least with the 55x. I can manage most of its functions (alt, vertical speed and Hdg) from my aspen. I believe the G3x does not play that well with the Stec.

Yeap, that is why I am considering this path.  Currently a KAP-150 interfaced to the Aspen.  A G3X install would require going to a GFC-500 also.

G3X hardware is about 11 AMU.   Upgrading PFT to MAX and adding an MFD 1000 is about 15 AMU hardware.

But GFC-500 is 6 AMU (9 AMU with yaw).   

So the elephant in the room is install costs.

You mentioned a king AP and did not specify having a 256 attitude indicator. This means your panel probably utilizes an ea100 interface which is a nice feature to have. I’m not sure if things have changed but the g5 is only approved for backup with garmin pfd’s. However, I think it’s common practice to use it as a backup AI now.  This is why the altimeter and airspeed indicator were retained. 

Probably the cheapest way to remove the other round gauges is to keep an eye out for a used L3 esi500 to replace your g5, they do become available every so often.

I think you’ll find panel work is expensive…you’ll be over $40k before you know it. 

7 hours ago, Pinecone said:

So it sounds like the only path forward is going to require a new autopilot.

Or could I get rid of at least AS and T&B?

Or here's a thought that's been mentioned to you a few times here and on Beechtalk . . . why not wait until you get the airplane, fly it for awhile and see what you think then?

In your transition to the 252 and the Aspen, when your instructor covers up that screen, see if it helps to have an airspeed indicator and Turn & Bank. You're not going to get rid of the vacuum pump with either of those instruments gone and if you want speed brakes on your 252 you're not going to get rid of the vacuum pump anyway. Making changes to the panel immediately, like a second reversionary mode Aspen, makes no sense if you're planning on a Garmin G3X and GFC500 down the road, unless you have barrels of cash that you're trying to launder.

• Like 3

In today's world, nothing is going to happen quickly. :D

No, I was thinking that instead of the G3X, expand the Aspen.  Not both.

I have experience with the glass panel info display.  I am checked out in a couple of G1000 aircraft, and flew a HUD in the USAF.  So I can live without round gauges.  Or I can fly round gauges also.

I know I have to keep the vacuum pump for the speed brakes.  But the vacuum instruments are already gone.  The Aspen replaced the AI and HSI.  And there is the G5 as backup.  T&B should be electric.

In today's world, nothing is going to happen quickly.
No, I was thinking that instead of the G3X, expand the Aspen.  Not both.
I have experience with the glass panel info display.  I am checked out in a couple of G1000 aircraft, and flew a HUD in the USAF.  So I can live without round gauges.  Or I can fly round gauges also.
I know I have to keep the vacuum pump for the speed brakes.  But the vacuum instruments are already gone.  The Aspen replaced the AI and HSI.  And there is the G5 as backup.  T&B should be electric.

When I was eligible to remove the round gauges, I kept them because it took me some time to get used to looking at a number instead of a position on a round dial. After so many years of flying round gauges, it was hard to switch. I ended up flying partial panel, covering up the ASI until it became natural. Now I wonder if I could fly a round gauge again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

When I was eligible to remove the round gauges, I kept them because it took me some time to get used to looking at a number instead of a position on a round dial. After so many years of flying round gauges, it was hard to switch. I ended up flying partial panel, covering up the ASI until it became natural. Now I wonder if I could fly a round gauge again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

While I had a PFD I kept my round gages. But when I expanded to a MFD I decided to go cold turkey with and removed the round gages. The first weeks were not easy. I noticed on several occasions that my altitude was way off…But after a while you get used to it.

Oscar

• Like 2