KFVE, ME - Has Anyone Been? (Another flying bucket list)

Anyone been up to Northern Aroostook Regional, ME (KFVE) and is there anything to do in the area for an overnight or weekend?

I'm knocking off my East Coast aviation bucket list items before we move west.  I've hit KEYW, what I'm calling the most SE airport, years ago when I did the Cayman Caravan.  Now I'll knock off KFVE as what I'm calling the most NE airport.  I can do it in a day, but if there's something around there, we can go for a day or two.

Early in my flying I happened to go to KBLI, so or the moment I've got the larger most NW airport.  But some spring or fall day I'll go into 38W just to get a bit more north.  That just leave KSDM for the SW. 

I haven't done the research on all of them yet, but there are six airports that straddle the Canadian border that I may put on the list.  In the notes for Avey Field, WA (69S) they tell the US planes to park at the south end of the field and the Cnd to park at the north end.

But back to KFVE...  Places or things to do?  Or just I go on a great day to bore some holes?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes...several times doing Angel Flights.  Very peaceful, quiet little town...couple of small restaurants (Dolly's is one), a grocery, and a gas station...that's about it.  As the name suggests, you'll find a lot of French influences and many folks around the town speak the language.  Never stayed the night, but certainly a place you'd want to fly into, and cross off your bucket list.

I'd suggest calling KFVE in advance to make sure the self-serve pump is operating.  If you can't get fuel there for any reason, Caribou (KCAR) and Presque Isle (KPQI) are good alternative fuel stops.  Neither are far away from KFVE.  Been into all three many times, and at all times of the year (TKS really comes in handy).  Certainly worth visiting any or all of them.  I think you'll enjoy any of the experiences.

Steve

Bar Harbor is a pretty interesting stop for touristy stuff…

It helps if you like lobster, seafood, beer…. Ocean views and nice hotels….

Bring your hiking shoes… Mount desert is in nearby Acadia national park… lots of easy hiking for everybody…

If you are a billionaire and didn’t like your mansion in Newport, you probably would like this area instead…. It is perfect for summering without the constant hummmm of air conditioning…

Small town very walkable… airport is a few miles away…

PP thoughts only, not a tour guide…

Best regards,

-a-

Bring your hiking shoes… Mount desert is in nearby Acadia national park… lots of easy hiking for everybody…
If you are a billionaire and didn’t like your mansion in Newport, you probably would like this area instead…. It is perfect for summering without the constant hummmm of air conditioning…
Small town very walkable… airport is a few miles away…
PP thoughts only, not a tour guide…
Best regards,
-a-

+1 for Bar Harbor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 11:01 AM, StevenL757 said:

but certainly a place you'd want to fly into, and cross off your bucket list.

Thanks for the info!  It will be a semi long day, but up and  back is easily doable in one day.  So I won't plan on staying over.

Fuel won't be an issue.  Planned on calling ahead to make sure, but I'll have enough to get to any of the other fuel options.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, carusoam said:

Bar Harbor is a pretty interesting

Been to Bar Harbor many times and do agree that anyone reading this that hasn't been there and is in range, you should go.  We'd often call multiple place on a Sat. morning on the way to the airport and see if anyone had a cancellation.  If they have, they'll usually let you stay only one night and not the typical 2-3 nights (in the summer).  If we can't find a place to stay, we'd either do a day trip or try another place like Nantucket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been to Bar Harbor many times and do agree that anyone reading this that hasn't been there and is in range, you should go.  We'd often call multiple place on a Sat. morning on the way to the airport and see if anyone had a cancellation.  If they have, they'll usually let you stay only one night and not the typical 2-3 nights (in the summer).  If we can't find a place to stay, we'd either do a day trip or try another place like Nantucket.

I miss the islands and choices in New England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, carusoam said:

Where is 'nice' hotels in bar harbor ? :))) I support everything else on your list :)

• Haha 1

Following the Carusoam method of traveling…

Me and the Hiltons go way back…

Since retirement…. I’m No longer on their favorite customer list…. :)

I use the Hampton Inn…. (Part of the Hilton chain)

Great for the CB part of being an MSer….

Going off season really helps keep prices in check…

https://www.hilton.com/en/locations/usa/maine/bar-harbor/

The national parks can get filled up with bazillions of people….

Best regards,

-a-

16 hours ago, GaryP1007 said:

I miss the islands and choices in New England.

We're about to move to the PNW, so I'm sure we'll be feeling the same soon.

But we're on vac at Priest Lake in N ID at the moment.  The airport near me (66S) is having a fly-in this weekend.  So there's new aviation activities here to explore.

4 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

We're about to move to the PNW, so I'm sure we'll be feeling the same soon.

But we're on vac at Priest Lake in N ID at the moment.  The airport near me (66S) is having a fly-in this weekend.  So there's new aviation activities here to explore.

Are you camping at 66S or just visiting the area? We've done a camping few times (last time this july) and planning for another trip next weekend or Labor Day.

It's a great place and you can see interesting planes coming in for lunch or to stay couple of days.

5 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

Are you camping at 66S or just visiting the area?

We have a cabin.  I'm originally from Spokane.  Shoot me a message when you're coming and maybe we'll still be around.

Going to head over to the Fly-In tomorrow.  Been hearing weekend volume traffic for the last few days, so bet it's packed over there already!

On 8/18/2022 at 10:30 PM, carusoam said:

Following the Carusoam method of traveling…

Me and the Hiltons go way back…

Since retirement…. I’m No longer on their favorite customer list…. :)

I use the Hampton Inn…. (Part of the Hilton chain)

Great for the CB part of being an MSer….

Going off season really helps keep prices in check…

I find that Hampton Inns are like South West.  They made a reputation on being inexpensive, but are no longer so.

I was looking for a room one night and found the Hampton Inns in the area were $40 a night more than the full service Marriott.

• Like 1