Uneven Tire Wear

Ragsf15e

I have had my main tires at least since I bought the airplane, so 8+years and ~800 hours.  They look in reasonable condition except the left tire is starting to wear more on the inside half - closest to the cockpit.  Ie away from the gear door.  I’m not sure if it’s new or just enough that I finally noticed.  It’s like the tire is slightly tilted with gear rolling on the ground, but it looks relatively straight from the front.

Is there a way to adjust the tire or gear to get it level and to even out the tire wear?

I don't believe there is any adjustment. Both my mains were doing the same thing and I just dismounted them and turned the tires around. When they finally wore out, I replaced them and, so far, the tires are wearing evenly. Go figure!

Skip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, PT20J said:

I don't believe there is any adjustment. Both my mains were doing the same thing and I just dismounted them and turned the tires around. When they finally wore out, I replaced them and, so far, the tires are wearing evenly. Go figure!

Skip

Ha, Good idea!  I didn’t think about flipping them around!  

Thanks for the idea,

Drew

My left gear wears more on the outside, but not enough to justify flipping it before it's worn.   The right one seems to be wearing pretty evenly.

I don't think there's any mechanism for adjustment on a Mooney for either camber or toe.    I can't find anything in the Service Manual for either measuring or setting alignment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

I have had my main tires at least since I bought the airplane, so 8+years and ~800 hours.  They look in reasonable condition except the left tire is starting to wear more on the inside half - closest to the cockpit.  Ie away from the gear door.  I’m not sure if it’s new or just enough that I finally noticed.  It’s like the tire is slightly tilted with gear rolling on the ground, but it looks relatively straight from the front.

Is there a way to adjust the tire or gear to get it level and to even out the tire wear?

8 years??? Sounds like time for new tires in any case. What kind of tires? Probably the expensive ones if they already lasted that long.

1 minute ago, 201er said:

8 years??? Sounds like time for new tires in any case. What kind of tires? Probably the expensive ones if they already lasted that long.

They actually look pretty good too!  Good tread, no sidewall issues, etc.  I just thought it was my exceptional landings?  But yes, the previous owner was nice enough to put the $$ Goodyear tires on it.  It’s hangared too so that probably helps.

• Haha 1

Your tires don’t last that long? Sounds like someone is making carrier landings. I’ve had tires last that long. In fact, I’ve replaced tires because they were starting to checker but still had good treads on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I worked as a CFI for a summer at Aero Tech at Merrill Field in the mid-1980s. Owner (and at the time chief pilot for Wein Air Alaska) Dick Ardaiz would put any of you CBs to shame. He had tried every tire made and concluded that Goodyear Flight Specials were the best deal. Same rubber as Customs, but he claimed that the Customs didn't have enough extra tread to match the higher price, and cheaper tires didn't have the rubber formulation to last long enough to make them cost effective. I don't know -- I don't fly a fleet of Cessnas a few thousand hours and many thousands of landings a year. But, I've always had good service from Flight Specials.

Skip

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Ha, Good idea!  I didn’t think about flipping them around!  

Thanks for the idea,

Drew

I thought i remember somewhere that the torque of the engine puts more pressure and thus more wear on the left tire than the right tire especially on takeoff roll. And could you not just swap the left tire and wheel for the right tire wheel to even out the wear?

i. E. Are the wheels interchangeable?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EricJ said:

My left gear wears more on the outside, but not enough to justify flipping it before it's worn.   The right one seems to be wearing pretty evenly.

I don't think there's any mechanism for adjustment on a Mooney for either camber or toe.    I can't find anything in the Service Manual for either measuring or setting alignment.

If you want adjustable landing gear, might I suggest a Piper product!

8 hours ago, PT20J said:

I've always had good service from Flight Specials.

Me too.

I use Condor nose tires, which last longer now that I'm based at a field with taxiway. Making a 180 before every takeoff and after every landing eats nose tires.

Since 2007, I've replaced nose tire three times, mains once (2012?).