Rosen sun visors?

VA FLYER

Does anyone know which models have this center attachment point for visors? If I am going to keep up with the 21st century, I am going to have to adapt a new model visor. I will have to find out the distance between the older and newer model attachment points, confirm that the new attachment point is a female 1/4 x 28 thread and perhaps experiment a little. If anyone has one of the new model planes and needs visors, (close to the Dallas area), we may be able to work a deal to use you as a test bed.

On 8/8/2022 at 12:25 PM, Fly Boomer said:

So these fit every Mooney model from 1968 to 1999?  It's not clear from the web site.

No.  You need to have the mounting hardware installed (welded) to the structural cage in the left and right front corners of the cabin.  This part has been factory installed since the fiberglass interior has been used (since about the mid to late 1990's).  It may have been installed in earlier models as well.  I installed them when I did my rebuild.  The Vintage C's, E's, and F's had a visor that was installed on the center tube, not the ceiling.

John Breda

8 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

No.  You need to have the mounting hardware installed (welded) to the structural cage in the left and right front corners of the cabin.  This part has been factory installed since the fiberglass interior has been used (since about the mid to late 1990's).  It may have been installed in earlier models as well.  I installed them when I did my rebuild.  The Vintage C's, E's, and F's had a visor that was installed on the center tube, not the ceiling.

John Breda

My 1970C sun visors are screwed into something at the outside corners. It's been a while since I've had the ceiling panel off, and I think it may be a small piece of webbing rather than into the tubing. No idea when Moiney started adding this to the frame. 

51 minutes ago, Hank said:

My 1970C sun visors are screwed into something at the outside corners. It's been a while since I've had the ceiling panel off, and I think it may be a small piece of webbing rather than into the tubing. No idea when Moiney started adding this to the frame. 

The part I am talking about is welded onto the tubing and is specifically made to accept to bolt to hold the visors.  You likely do not have that welded onto a C model.  You are probably best to think about mounting to the center post and you will likely have to make parts to do what you want.

John Breda

32 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

The part I am talking about is welded onto the tubing and is specifically made to accept to bolt to hold the visors.  You likely do not have that welded onto a C model.  You are probably best to think about mounting to the center post and you will likely have to make parts to do what you want.

John Breda

Why would I take down my existing visors, screwed to the outside corners, and try to jury rig a center post attachment that won't let them swing over to the side windows???

I just searched my Owners Manual and the following terms are not found in it:  sun, visor, sun visor, sunvisor and shade. "Screen" appears once, in a reference to checking the oil screen.

But significant changes were made to the C model (interior, exterior and flight controls) for the 1969 model. Longer rudder, standard six pack layout, tweaks to cowl design, cowl flaps fixed, etc.

Throwing this out there, but I got my replacement visors from the great @DonMuncy. Maybe you can reach out to him and see if he is still making them? They are also a good bit cheaper than Rosen brand. Not sure if his would fit your model, but mine mount very similar to Rosen pain linked above. 

On 8/8/2022 at 12:25 PM, Fly Boomer said:

So these fit every Mooney model from 1968 to 1999?  It's not clear from the web site.

Rosen says they do but they don’t. The mounts are different and to use the Rosen requires cutting out part of the headliner and, if the side mounting holes are not there (debatable at this point), you need to fashion a new mount and weld it to the structure. I think that might require a 337 at least to be legal. 

From what I can tell, some models pre J (perhaps F, but definitely not Cs), all the Js, and forward through the latest models, with the exception of the L, have the same mounting hole on the upper outside corner of the windshield. I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hank said:

Why would I take down my existing visors, screwed to the outside corners, and try to jury rig a center post attachment that won't let them swing over to the side windows???

I just searched my Owners Manual and the following terms are not found in it:  sun, visor, sun visor, sunvisor and shade. "Screen" appears once, in a reference to checking the oil screen.

But significant changes were made to the C model (interior, exterior and flight controls) for the 1969 model. Longer rudder, standard six pack layout, tweaks to cowl design, cowl flaps fixed, etc.

If you have the attachment points that I am referring to you are golden.  That is the best way to put in visors.  The attachment arm is longer than the type you have pictured, and the visors that I pictured, and similar ones that have been made by Don Muncy could be used.  I second the suggestion that you contact Don as you can speak with him directly, and he van make modifications to his usual visors that you might need or want.

John Breda

36 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

If you have the attachment points that I am referring to you are golden.  That is the best way to put in visors.  The attachment arm is longer than the type you have pictured, and the visors that I pictured, and similar ones that have been made by Don Muncy could be used.  I second the suggestion that you contact Don as you can speak with him directly, and he van make modifications to his usual visors that you might need or want.

John Breda

You have me confused with someone else. I have visors, and did not post a photo of them here. No modifications needed.

23 minutes ago, Hank said:

You have me confused with someone else. I have visors, and did not post a photo of them here. No modifications needed.

Me too and I think you're right, as Don @DonMuncy said above every J & K is that way and it started before, so if your '70 M20C has the current style visor mounting I'd bet it started at some year by at least '70 on short bodies. I was just in an earlier F the other day and didn't think to check but from I what I recall it had them also. So if John's @M20F-1968 didn't have them in '68 they must have started using them very soon after that to see them in a '70 C; certainly before the J's & K's debuted. 

Edited by kortopates

From what I can tell, some models pre J (perhaps F, but definitely not Cs), all the Js, and forward through the latest models, with the exception of the L, have the same mounting hole on the upper outside corner of the windshield. I could be wrong. 

Hey Don. I think the selling point of the Rosen’s the type of and color of the visor material. Have you explored using other types of plexiglass (acrylic or whatever you are using)? I like the blue color of the Rosen’s, just don’t like the sticker shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Hey Don. I think the selling point of the Rosen’s the type of and color of the visor material. Have you explored using other types of plexiglass (acrylic or whatever you are using)? I like the blue color of the Rosen’s, just don’t like the sticker shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frankly, I had not delved into that question. When my LASAR visor shade developed a crack, I went to the plastic store and selected the same color as LASAR's. I have been using that color ever since.

I know that I could probably get most any color made, but that stuff has just about doubled in price in the last year. (I stocked up earlier at a more decent price.) If enough people wanted another color, I would look into it. I would hate to have to increase prices, but I do want people to be happy with my visors. Maybe the folks who have mine could give us some input as to their preferences. I haven't had any complaints, but perhaps they were just being nice.:D

Incidently, I have been using acrylic.

• Like 1

As an aside, a fellow with a Bonanza who is hangared down the way from me had some scratched up shades on his Rosens. I made a pattern from his and built him one from my acrylic. His Rosen was about the same color, but a little darker. I haven't heard back form him as to whether he was happy with the lighter one.

• Like 2

I have Rosens in my J. I always thought they were too big. Don graciously sent me his template which I believe is a better fit without being much smaller than the Rosens. I was going to cut the Rosens down using Don’s template, but then remembered that the Rosens also always seemed a bit too dark. I had a local plastic shop make me new plastic using slightly lighter acrylic and using Don’s template and I really like them. However, it would have been much less expensive and less bother to just have Don make me a set of plastic parts. I’d advise anyone with Rosen visors currently installed to purchase replacement plastic from Don. 

Skip