Oil Filters

GaryP1007

I have 48103’s on back order with Spruce and aircraftoil.com both Champion and Tempest, whatever shows up first. There seems to be higher confidence in getting Tempest faster (USA made) than Champion (China made), but it’s really not predictable as it seems. There may be folks who need to run filters for an extra oil change or so until they are back to available, it seems. 

Most places seem to be expecting shipments of Tempest in Sept. A shop that I use sold me one from its stock, but are only selling to frequent customers. Rumor has it thar Champion switched vendors and it didn’t work out so they went back to old vendor and now lead time is unknown, but I don’t know for a fact that that’s the problem. Best advice is to get some on order and get in the queue. 

Skip

I ordered from Aircraft Spruce for early July shipment and now bumped to October.  Placed another order with another company, supposed to ship this week.

And this is how shortages occur.  You have a hard time fining one when you need it.  So, you order a case.  And that gets pushed, so you order a second case.

And demand goes up 6x. Then the pipeline fills, and no one buys any for 2 years. :D

I ordered from Aircraft Spruce for early July shipment and now bumped to October.  Placed another order with another company, supposed to ship this week.
And this is how shortages occur.  You have a hard time fining one when you need it.  So, you order a case.  And that gets pushed, so you order a second case.
And demand goes up 6x. Then the pipeline fills, and no one buys any for 2 years.

Or, you be a Boy Scout like me and keep extra everything on hand all of the time.

When COVID hit I had a couple of 3M cases of N95s and a case of latex gloves that I use for my workshop tasks. I guess you can blame it on parents that lived through the depression. My mother had enough canned food packed away to last a long engagement with a zombie apocalypse.

A lot of the supply issues in addition to being caused by panic buying are also because of the shift to JIT manufacturing back in the 1990s. That is what driving up the supply issues with many items including microchips. One delay in any manufacturing process causes ripple effects. Compounding this is our dependence on overseas outsourcing. Some of those countries did a hard lockdown and nothing got made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

Tempest made a public statement the other day… broadcast on a daily aviation YouTube channel…

They doubled the output of all filter models they make and it would only take two weeks to manufacture all of the different models…

Sounded too simple to be true…

But, made a nice statement regarding Tempest being aware of the issue, and doing something about it…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I realize everyone probably wants to hold onto whatever filters they have, but our bird is coming up on second oil change since overhaul and I would sure like to cut that filter open. If anyone is willing to sell one 110 filter to me, I'd appreciate it. I'll be in north Georgia/east TN in a couple weeks if it helps to come pick it up; otherwise, I can fly anywhere reasonable from Longmont, CO. 

Long shot, maybe, but thought I'd at least ask!

Thanks.

2 hours ago, igorbly said:

I realize everyone probably wants to hold onto whatever filters they have, but our bird is coming up on second oil change since overhaul and I would sure like to cut that filter open. If anyone is willing to sell one 110 filter to me, I'd appreciate it. I'll be in north Georgia/east TN in a couple weeks if it helps to come pick it up; otherwise, I can fly anywhere reasonable from Longmont, CO. 

Thanks.

PM me if nobody has one at LMO. Think I have one in the hangar, a CH48110-1 but we have different engines (Lyc 540) so you would need to double check.

3 hours ago, igorbly said:

Thanks.

You can also use a 48111 long filter, despite their length they will fit.  When you first engage the thread they touch the firewall, but once torqued they clear just enough.

Over on BT they mentioned searching on Controller for parts.

I found a shop with some 48108s.  They were limiting you to buying 2, at $55 each.   Controller said they had 33, but when I called, they had 6 left.

This is the search for 48109, you can change the number to the left.

https://www.controller.com/parts/search?PartNumber=AA48109&SearchType=Start

On 8/3/2022 at 3:58 PM, M20Doc said:

You can also use a 48111 long filter, despite their length they will fit.  When you first engage the thread they touch the firewall, but once torqued they clear just enough.

That's good to know. Looking at our dented firewall behind the filter nut, it sure looks like someone before us did just that!

• 2 weeks later...

Do oil filters have a shelf life?  Many hangar environments are not ideal.  I’m reluctant to stock 4 or more years worth of filters (or anything else) for that reason.  Wifey doesn’t have room in her pantry.

I ordered one each AA48110-2 on 21 Jun.  Spruce originally said shipping in Aug (annual expired on 31 Jul), then Spruce changed that to shipping in Sep.  I found a filter on eBay for $30 (?!).  

Then, to my surprise, Spruce drop-shipped my filter from a Dallas warehouse on 9 Aug.  Maybe I’m golden.

44 minutes ago, stevesm20b said:

I ordered tempest AA48108 on Aug 15 from SkyGeek and it was shipped on the 17th.

I got an order of the 108s from Sky Geek also.

Keeping them sealed in plastic bags should be enough to keep them OK.

On 7/30/2022 at 9:42 AM, GaryP1007 said:

Anyone having luck ordering oil filters online?  I have the IO550 and am striking out.

@GaryP1007 Gary - did you ever locate any AA-48109 filters?  If not, I bought a couple of boxes several months ago, and would be happy to part with some for a "pre-inflation, pre-Covid" price if interested.  PM me or let me know.

Steve

On 8/18/2022 at 7:45 AM, StevenL757 said:

@GaryP1007 Gary - did you ever locate any AA-48109 filters?  If not, I bought a couple of boxes several months ago, and would be happy to part with some for a "pre-inflation, pre-Covid" price if interested.  PM me or let me know.

Steve

Thanks Steve I did get a couple and have another 2 on back order. Appreciate the offer. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 9:42 AM, 47U said:

Do oil filters have a shelf life?  Many hangar environments are not ideal.  I’m reluctant to stock 4 or more years worth of filters (or anything else) for that reason.  Wifey doesn’t have room in her pantry.

I ordered one each AA48110-2 on 21 Jun.  Spruce originally said shipping in Aug (annual expired on 31 Jul), then Spruce changed that to shipping in Sep.  I found a filter on eBay for $30 (?!).  

Then, to my surprise, Spruce drop-shipped my filter from a Dallas warehouse on 9 Aug.  Maybe I’m golden.

I wouldn’t likely stock more than a years worth and re-order at the six month mark.

However I spent a few years cruising around full time on a sailboat in out of the way areas, and I found that you could seal parts and filters etc. with a seal-a-meal and as it was perfectly airtight parts stayed rust free for years. I mean a cast iron water pump showed no rust at all.

‘If you really want to be sure, get the little “do not eat” packs from Amazon or wherever, I believe they absorb O2, in a perfectly sealed bag with no O2 I think filters would last a really long time, even without the packs, the free O2 gets locked up in a tiny bit of iron oxide, so slight an amount you won’t even see it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

‘If you really want to be sure, get the little “do not eat” packs from Amazon or wherever, I believe they absorb O2, in a perfectly sealed bag with no O2 I think filters would last a really long time, even without the packs, the free O2 gets locked up in a tiny bit of iron oxide, so slight an amount you won’t even see it.

They absorb moisture.  But once they are in the air for a period of time, they "get full."  You can bake them at around 200 degrees for a couple of hours to drive out the moisture.

They do make O2 absorbers also.  I think Amazon carries them.