Headroom in the M20J

Doveton

Hi Mooney Owners

I'm potentially in the market for a Mooney M20J or K. I'm an ex 182RG owner and am thinking of a change. First thing i need to know is whether i will fit into it comfortably without hitting my head or having to recline the seat too far back. Not a great fan of racing-style seating positions. Has anyone in the JHB/Pretoria area an M20J or K (or similar airframe) that i could sit in to see how my 6'4" frame would fit in? Lots of chatter on the internet but too much contradictory comment to make a decision without physically getting into a plane.

Many thanks to anyone who is happy for me to do this.

Mark

mark@markwoodconsultants.co.za

083 649 9054

2 hours ago, Doveton said:

Hi Mooney Owners

I'm potentially in the market for a Mooney M20J or K. I'm an ex 182RG owner and am thinking of a change. First thing i need to know is whether i will fit into it comfortably without hitting my head or having to recline the seat too far back. Not a great fan of racing-style seating positions. Has anyone in the JHB/Pretoria area an M20J or K (or similar airframe) that i could sit in to see how my 6'4" frame would fit in? Lots of chatter on the internet but too much contradictory comment to make a decision without physically getting into a plane.

Mark

083 649 9054

Welcome Mark,

A lot will depend on the type of seat installed. Later models have vertically adjustable crew seats, earlier models have had late models seats installed. The other factor is where the hinge is in your 6'4' frame, but generally you'll fit fine. I'm 6'2' and had no issues in either of my E models.

Clarence

6 hours ago, Doveton said:

Hi Mooney Owners

Mark

083 649 9054

I think head room in practice may in small part depend on relatively how long your arms are, since long arms allow you to recline the seat back a tad more so you are not as vertical and your head does not reach as high in the cockpit.

I am 6'4'' and have zero problem with head room, but my seat is not vertical and also I have the seat height set on lowest setting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Doveton said:

First thing i need to know is whether i will fit into it comfortably without hitting my head

Nowhere near Joburg, but your height is typically not a problem.  That said, if you are wedded to the 182 seating position and sight picture, that could be a deal-breaker.

I'm in the same situation, looking for a M20J or M20R.

6'3" (193cm) long and sit OK in M20J.

The thing I noticed was that the yoke had a little different angle than in a Cessna 172 or PA28 Archer/Arrow.
And the headroom was little bit more tight. Mostly sideways to right side of cabin.
No problem with legroom.

The owner was around 1.70 and he didn't reach the pedals not he didn't had the seat in forward position.
But then he had some problems with the yoke got to close to body.

I wonder if someone can tell me about the Ovation 2 has same interior or is more roomier in front seats...

8 minutes ago, Fix said:

The owner was around 1.70 and he didn't reach the pedals

In case you haven't read this somewhere else, there are 3 types of rudder pedal setup:  no extension, 1.5 inches extension, and 3 inches extension.  It's not trivial to change from one to another, but worth it to get comfortable.  I think someone here said that, at some point, the factory was building everything with the 1.5 inches extension.

What you can fit in and what is comfortable for 4-5hrs is often two differing things.  I love my Mooney it is the best of all trade offs.  The racing style seats on the older models suck, the newer ones are not much better.  A Comanche or Bonanza is infinitely more spacious and comfortable, there are other trade offs though. 

What you can fit in and what is comfortable for 4-5hrs is often two differing things.  I love my Mooney it is the best of all trade offs.  The racing style seats on the older models suck, the newer ones are not much better.

I’ve done 12 hours in my J, but I had the seats reupholstered and pushed the seat all the way back so I could change leg positions.

55 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I’ve done 12 hours in my J, but I had the seats reupholstered and pushed the seat all the way back so I could change leg positions.

I appreciate that and everyone will jump on the I have done this band wagon.  I once went on a hike and didn’t eat for 3 days.  I am still alive but I would have much more enjoyed a steak each night.  

I have done FL210, at night, in the winter, from KJMS to KLZU non stop at almost 250kts.  Not many can do that.  I still can’t feel my toes.  It’s a trade off.