Recognition lights

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I spoke with a Whelan rep at the NBAA business aviation show in Orlando this week. The rep confirmed what @OSUAV8TER said above, i.e., hope to ship "by the end of the year." (My order at Aircraft Spruce is now showing a 5 December 2022 expected ship date.) 

I asked the Whelan rep what their pacing items are. Like everyone else in aerospace these days, they have supply chain challenges. For aircraft lights, he indicated printed circuit boards (PCBs), diodes, resistors, and other electronic components were the challenge for them.   

One other thing I saw on the Whelan display was some technology that might lead to pulsed strobes. I like my LED strobes, but I was sorry to lose the double pulse of the traditional strobes. (It's solely a personal preference for me - probably goes back my childhood and looking up in the night sky and seeing those strobes and wondering where a plane was going.) There may be an argument to be made that the pulsed strobes offer a safety benefit, too. Anyway, the Whelan rep said the challenge for them is heat management - the pulsing action throws off a lot of heat.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tmack201 said:

Whelen website specs show14v. Anyone know if there will be a 28v version?

Not a problem, the 14V units will handle the 28V per James - they have a transducer to drop the voltage.

Incidentally, the OEM recognition lights are also 14V but Mooney installed a rather large voltage dropping resistor in the wing to drop the voltage to 14V. I expect we'll be able to remove with these since they'll much less of effect with the smaller current draw of the LED light.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...