Recognition lights

1 hour ago, laytonl said:

Any truth to the rumor that whelen has developed an LED recognition light for Mooney’s?

Supposedly a direct replacement bulb for the existing lights.  $250/ea and will be available towards the end of the year.

There is another thread here on the topic.  Search for: WAT 10% Off Oshkosh Promo Through July 31st

The problem is, if you forget to turn them off after landing, the melt the clear plastic part.  And how much is that to replace?

Gallagher is taking deposits for the LED recognition lights.  Due by the end of the year.   Deposit is less than 0.05 AMU

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PT20J said:

My shop tells me the last Pulselite module they bought from Precise Flight was $1000.

I tried looking for the cost when I bought my Pulselite many years ago when I first put in my recognition lights in, but couldn't find the invoice on a quick pass.  (Pre scan era. :wacko:)

One really cool option is that you can go from the alternating to full on with the flip of a switch.  Even with the existing hot bulbs, I used them in that mode briefly on some really low light nights at rural airports when I wanted to make sure I was really at a runway exit.  With the LEDs, if true you can leave them on while on the ground, that will really improve taxi visibility and wingtip clearance.

53 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

The problem is, if you forget to turn them off after landing, the melt the clear plastic part.  And how much is that to replace?

Gallagher is taking deposits for the LED recognition lights.  Due by the end of the year.   Deposit is less than 0.05 AMU

My lenses are glass, they must have cheaped out on the later models.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

My lenses are glass,

I've never heard of glass wingtip lenses.  What year J?  And are you sure they're a Mooney lens or did maybe someone else try selling them in glass for a while?

Head's spinning with lots of other questions, like how heavy are they?  And we really are talking about the wingTIP lens, right?

1135011004_MooneyWingtipLens.jpg.ac43e2207c9cc17668dec267a00e9e18.jpg

19 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

I've never heard of glass wingtip lenses.  What year J?  And are you sure they're a Mooney lens or did maybe someone else try selling them in glass for a while?

Head's spinning with lots of other questions, like how heavy are they?  And we really are talking about the wingTIP lens, right?

Rich has a good sense of humor!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PT20J said:

I pre ordered a pair. Was thinking of adding a Pulselite to them. My shop tells me the last Pulselite module they bought from Precise Flight was $1000. I’m waiting for current pricing and installation estimate.

Skip

Even much better than the Precise Pulselite was the Lasar Pulser made specifically for this application. Much smaller and located right behind the recognition light switch, it will pulse or maintain continuous on. But this more economical smaller pulser entirely solved the hot recognition light issue when in pulse mode. The only problem is they stopped making not long after Precise introduced their expensive and big Pulselite -  decades ago :( 

1 hour ago, PeteMc said:

1135011004_MooneyWingtipLens.jpg.ac43e2207c9cc17668dec267a00e9e18.jpg

Mine is a 77 J with the flat wingtips. It has the same light assembly you have but it isn't enclosed.

17 hours ago, PT20J said:

I pre ordered a pair. Was thinking of adding a Pulselite to them. My shop tells me the last Pulselite module they bought from Precise Flight was $1000. I’m waiting for current pricing and installation estimate.

Skip

I was thinking the same thing.  Let me know what you learn.

If anyone gets one of these, would be interested in a pirep to know if they get hot like the original bulbs do. The recognition lights are the only ones I haven't yet replaced with LEDs. (just when you think there's nothing else yet to spend money on)

Greetings! 

Yes, the rumors are true and Whelen Aerospace Technologies (WAT) will be shipping soon an LED recognition replacement light. I am a WAT authorized dealer and I am taking 10% deposits to secure the first orders. They will be $231.20 each plus $15 shipping. WAT has communicated to us that they will be shipping them toward the end of the year. I worked with WAT and another Mooney owner to fit check some prototype lights. Thanks to all of you, we were able to all collectively influence them to do the project.

image.png.6a1a1f410197baf348b23e80ef9f1ffc.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JohnB said:

If anyone gets one of these, would be interested in a pirep to know if they get hot like the original bulbs do. The recognition lights are the only ones I haven't yet replaced with LEDs. (just when you think there's nothing else yet to spend money on)

Based on the specs posted, there is no way for them to get very hot.  They only draw 3 watts.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

Greetings! 

Yes, the rumors are true and Whelen Aerospace Technologies (WAT) will be shipping soon an LED recognition replacement light. I am a WAT authorized dealer and I am taking 10% deposits to secure the first orders. They will be $231.20 each plus $15 shipping. WAT has communicated to us that they will be shipping them toward the end of the year. I worked with WAT and another Mooney owner to fit check some prototype lights. Thanks to all of you, we were able to all collectively influence them to do the project.

image.png.6a1a1f410197baf348b23e80ef9f1ffc.png

The spec sheet says 14V but I assume these also work with 28V, yes?

6 hours ago, Airways said:

Correct, just like the current halogen bulbs which are also 14V. 

Yes, but on a 28V airplane there is a dropping resistor and it won’t drop as much voltage with the LEDs because the current should be less.

• Like 1