Moritz Gauge Issue (Manifold Pressure)

9 hours ago, Aviator said:

Well, it seems I am going to go the JPI or EI route.  Now my challenge is how to integrate into the panel on a 2004 Ovation.

I really do not want to put the unit on the right side out of my scan.  Suggestions and/or pictures of installations would be appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_20200428_103925.jpg

IMG_20200428_103932.jpg

Are you going to use this opportunity to re-arrange some things and cut a new panel?

Here is a picture of what had been done previous to my ownership on a 2000 Ovation that needed to have the Moritz replaced: https://www.dropbox.com/s/81s2tc1osmjq00w/IMG_3442.JPG?dl=0

Here is a picture of a Bravo panel that I did with a JPI930:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/rh5crljxpvavh4o/N134JF panel March 2021.jpg?dl=0

Or are you just looking for a place to put it for the time being?

The easiest solution would be to put it on the upper right side. There will easily be a place where the remote gyro switch and the ELT switch can be moved. If you go with a JPI-930 you will still have a remote annunciator (RAD) to put in your field of view which will alert you to anything out of the ordinary, plus it will show MP and RPM.  You will easily get used to it over there. 

I would also have them move a few things around.

-Your transponder can be controlled by your GTN750, so I'd put that in the lower right, which would give you room to put your GTN650 in the center stack. Your audio panel also could be put to the right to make room. Your 650 gets used more often than the transponder or the audip panel. 

-The blank plate that they'll fabricate to cover the area where your Moritz gauges were, will easily hold your Mooney annunciator which is now at the top of your               radio stack. This will make room in the center stack but will also put it and the JPI RAD directly in front of you.

-You have Lifesaver backup attitude indicator - I would splurge & buy the turn bank/indicator for that instrument  (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/mc.php)     & then pull the turn coordinator and replace it with the Lifesaver - you don't need both and it's a legal replacement.

EDIT: After thinking about this - this is one of those things that you really need to think through and figure out what your end goal is. If your plan is to leave the KFC225 autopilot and the HSI and Attitude indicator, then yes a JPI or EI would be just what you need. However if down the road you plan on a G3X or 500TXI or GI275s, it would be good to plan that now. Maybe even just buy the used Moritz for a few hundred dollars to get you by until you decide. If your plan is Garmin - you shouldn't throw money away on an expensive patch (JPI or EI) in the meantime. If your KFC225 is working well, after 20 years the King HSI and Attitude are on borrowed time, you might consider GI275s since they will interface with your KFC225 and will not be obsolete if you ever decide to do the Garmin autopilot. Three of them would get you your engine instruments, your HSI and attitude indicator - without cutting a new panel, which can save a substantial amount of labor, by not having to move things around. Personally even with 2 GI275s replacing the Attitude and HSI I'd still keep the Lifesaver.

• Like 1

The cheapest and least invasive way to add a jpi 900 is to move your lifesaver. By adding a Slip indicator  to the lifesaver you can replace your turn coordinator with it. Remove the right Moritz unit, you’ll probably need to retain the left unit for the vac gauge, and place the JPI in vertically. You’ll need a fill panel, I probably have one laying around, painted to match your panel and cut around the 900.  Also a 2 1/4 blank for the removed jpi on the copilot side would be a good idea. Disadvantage to mounting the JPI vertically is the EGT’s are not always shown, just the CHT’s. 

On 8/2/2022 at 9:21 AM, Fly Boomer said:

Exactly.  Hence my question above:

So, does that mean that a CAR3 airplane without turbocharger does not need a MP gauge?

I think unless the TCDS or POH/AFM or some other approved document says it is required, then it isn't.    There don't appear to be any such requirements in the TCDS or POH for my J.

That said, I very rarely use or refer to the MP gauge, except for during instrument procedures.   I use the tach a lot, though.    When I had to fly home with an electrical failure and my JPI was off I didn't miss the MP reading.   I do still have my mechanical tach, which was all I needed for landing.

The cool thing about the JPI….

It has a RAD….

Soooooo….. why do you want the engine monitor on the left?

The RAD shows MP, RPM, and master caution light….

The JPI 930 mounted on the right shows everything clearly… @Bob_Belville had nice descriptions of why he did it this way, and pics too….

EI MVP may be similar… but is a nicer company to work with….

EI also has nice round instruments that fit in some of the locations mentioned above…

If you have questions about the EI equipment… we have an EI guy that is pretty helpful….

Best regards,

-a-