IPad over heating

Has anyone have a hack or two that might help keep the IPad mini from over heating?  I thought it may have been from being connected to power but later realized it warned me of over heating without being plugged in.  91%, that day.  

iPad overheating has a been a challenge for all iPads since ipad1…

Biggest cause… sunshine directly on the device….

Shade from sunshine… problem solved.

New challenge, hiding iPad from sunshine often hides it from GPS satellites…

PP thoughts only, 

-a-

• Like 1

I recently heard of someone that was having an overheating issue and Apple Support claims that after looking at the logs it was a result of ForeFlight.  Not that this isn't possible, but the recommendation was to uninstall FF and then reinstall it.

Another way to keep the heat down is to turn off the display whenever you don't need it.  This may mess up your Track Route or Breadcrumbs (I don't use either), but it should also help keep the iPad cool on these hot days.

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

PP thoughts only, 

-a-

Not around here. They will thermal off in the shade.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, larryb said:

16d6d4473147c25cebb32023501e2731.jpg

c5829c97e0a2beab85ea2669ad3f8a18.jpg

I agree getting rid of sunlight is best. I designed and printed this mount for my mini6 because Ram didn’t have the model yet. I added dual fans and risers to direct the airflow. So far so good.

A home-made X-Naut! Nice. 

I have an X-Naut on my yoke in landscape for my mini and haven't had a single issue since I started using it. Even in direct sunlight, although I do try to maneuver the visors to block as much sun as possible.

https://x-naut.com

However, the easiest solution to block the sun I've seen posted is to lay your light colored microfiber screen cleaning cloth over the iPad when you don't need to be looking at it. I believe that was Paul Steen  @gsxrpilot who posted that. Haven't seen him around since last October.

Cheers,
Rick

I don't know if it's a hack but i

1. use a cradle that is open in the back to increase airflow around it.
  2. use a yoke or suction mount for the same reason.
  3. take it out of  the airplane with me.
  4. keep backlighting at the lowest visible setting.
  5. turn the screen off in flight when I'm not actively using it (just like I used to put my paper charts aside)

Do those make a difference? Dunno but I have not experienced iPad overheating in the >11 years I have been using one (yes, that includes Mini 4, 5, and 6).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

PP thoughts only, 

-a-

I think it's both direct sunshine and high backlighting. The backlighting is probably the bigger offender but more direct sunshine means more backlighting.

• Like 1

The other big issue is CHARGING...  Don't charge your iPad if you don't need to.  If it's an hour or two flight and your battery is in good shape, don't plug in the power cord.

As for air, @PT20J mentioned point the wemac vent down on the sidewall up at his iPad.  I actually point the Pilot's roof vend down on my iPad just to get some air movement.

• Like 2

I mount them on the windshield bar above the compass and on the yoke which keeps them out of the sun.  I also use X-grip mounts so plenty of air flows around them.

I also never leave them in the plane, unless they are shutoff and in a bag.

I may just be lucky but so far no overheating issues

Couple things you can try, dim the screen a bit if you can, turn off as many map layers as possible and select them when needed, traffic specifically is expensive turning off distant traffic can be helpful as well, finally dont leave it on the glare shield or anywhere direct sunlight can hit it if you stop for fuel or something.

I point my left knee vent up towards the ipad on my yoke and that general keeps it from over heating. I have not had an overheat message in a very long time.

Every time I have had it overheat, it has been due to direct sunlight hitting the iPad on the yoke mount. Be careful dimming the screen -- it is possible to get it so dim that you cannot read it and then it is difficult to find the control to increase the backlight.

• Like 1

+1 for screen brightness… lots of heat when it automatically gets brighter in sunlight…

Did you know….

With the latest updates of IOS…. 
Screen brightness and volume have an easy short cut….

Drag down from the top right corner…

And you get this….

The volume slide is really important when you click on a video, and your not sure if your ear buds are connected or not…. :)

Best regards,

-a-

6D044676-9F1A-4884-BB80-3D6EC5D7689A.png

16 hours ago, PeteMc said:

The other big issue is CHARGING...  Don't charge your iPad if you don't need to.  If it's an hour or two flight and your battery is in good shape, don't plug in the power cord.

As for air, @PT20J mentioned point the wemac vent down on the sidewall up at his iPad.  I actually point the Pilot's roof vend down on my iPad just to get some air movement.

PeteMc is absolutely right.  No need for fancy or expensive solutions. I use two iPad minis, pilot and copilot, bluetooth paired to the panel, running ForeFlight, full bright.  (On the type of sunny day that will overheat an iPad, less than full bright usually isn't an option.) Here's a checklist to keep an iPad from overheating:

• Remove the iPad from its case if any.
  • Don't plug in the charger cord. Charge the iPad before flight and let it run on its own battery.  (Charging generates a lot of heat)
  • Point the vent at your left knee up toward the iPad.
  • Use a slap-on sunshade to keep direct sunlight off the iPad.

Never store an iPad in the aircraft.

I use two iPad minis, pilot and copilot, bluetooth paired to the panel, running ForeFlight, full bright. Don't plug in the charger cord. Charge the iPad before flight and let it run on its own battery.  (Charging generates a lot of heat)

That’s not possible if you’re making a long cross country trips. iPad batteries can not run FF or GP for hours. I be surprised if they can last 4 hours, let alone a full 8 hour day.
If you charge them, then plug them in, your not charging the battery as much as powering the electronics.

Not an overheating note, but just one all should remember for good iPad/electronics battery longevity...  Do Not fully charge your iPad, phone, etc. for every day use.  It's okay to fully charge it as needed, like before a full day of flying.  But when you're sitting at home planning flights or using it to watch a movie, or even the morning before a short breakfast flight, don't just plug it in and leave it plugged in.

That last 10-20% of charging is that hardest on the newer type batteries.  But the newer type batteries do not mind multiple charging cycles as much as the older original iPad batteries did.  So if the battery drops down to 40%, go ahead and charge it back to 80%.  And this is better for the battery if you do it twice in a day vs. going to the full 100%.  Also do not run the battery completely to 0, that 20-80% range is the sweet spot for most batteries.

1 hour ago, PeteMc said:

Not an overheating note, but just one all should remember for good iPad/electronics battery longevity...  Do Not fully charge your iPad, phone, etc. for every day use.  It's okay to fully charge it as needed, like before a full day of flying.  But when you're sitting at home planning flights or using it to watch a movie, or even the morning before a short breakfast flight, don't just plug it in and leave it plugged in.

That last 10-20% of charging is that hardest on the newer type batteries.  But the newer type batteries do not mind multiple charging cycles as much as the older original iPad batteries did.  So if the battery drops down to 40%, go ahead and charge it back to 80%.  And this is better for the battery if you do it twice in a day vs. going to the full 100%.  Also do not run the battery completely to 0, that 20-80% range is the sweet spot for most batteries.

I think you are repeating an old wives tale.

If that were true, don't you think the phones would have settings for that? What are you supposed to do? stare at your phone waiting for it to hit 80%

I looked on line and I found a lot of "expert" opinion both ways, but no data to back it up. 

If you know of any data or studies to back that up, I would love to see it.

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

If you know of any data or studies to back that up, I would love to see it.

I'd suggest reaching out to one of the various "experts" that are out there, maybe one from one of the Universities or a known (to you) highly regarded institution could send you some studies.  As you said, there are a LOT of experts that don't recommend going beyond 80% unless you're on a know high quality charger that takes a cue from the device that it needs to switch to Trickle Charge.  Try as I might, I know that I often end up plugging into the car or plane to charge and, to my knowledge, NONE of those USB chargers are going to go into Trickle Charge mode. 

And if it were one or two articles/experts that were saying the 20% (some say 30%) to 80% charging, I'd agree that it may be skeptical.  But that seems to be the consensuses of a LOT of experts in a LOT of publications.  But when the numbers get that high, I tend to think it's valid until proven otherwise.  And I'd think we would have heard something by now if people were contesting those recommendations. 

But hey, there are a lot of scammers and fake truths being spread around to make a lot of money these days.  So maybe I'm just one of the gullible ones. :D

• Like 1

The idevice controls charging, it’s built in. See below for caveat.

HEAT kills lithium batteries. Some cases act as blankets and keep the heat in….bad for batteries and of course will cause your device to overheat. Might want to cut some openings in the back of your case.
The CPU and battery is mounted with the rear case pressed against it acting as a heat sink.

If storing the device (or batteries) long term, drain battery down to around 50%.

On occasion if you suspect it’s not charging fully or percent indicator seems to drop erratically, let the battery completely drain and recharge to 100%. The built in charger can relearn the battery capacity.

The extra heat from backlighting? Everything is LEDs these days, and they are much denser than they use to be and hence more heat, so that’s why newer iPhones will dim the screen if they overheat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

That’s not possible if you’re making a long cross country trips. iPad batteries can not run FF or GP for hours. I be surprised if they can last 4 hours, let alone a full 8 hour day.
If you charge them, then plug them in, your not charging the battery as much as powering the electronics.

I use an ancient Samsung Galaxy Tab A running FltPlan Go and getting ADSB from a Stratux receiver.  The tablet runs with the screen on bright for about 6-7 hours without charging.  Whenever I get the overheat warning, I just unplug the tablet and wait until I'm some place cooler.

On 7/26/2022 at 6:51 AM, PeteMc said:

I think the problem is the opposite.   Charging rarely causes a problem with heat.  Heat causes a problems with charging.  You don't want your lithium battery charging while hot, that causes a risk of all sorts of bad explodey things.

Conversely, charging health lithium batteries should not cause a lot of heat, it's almost 100% efficient.  It's FAST charging that can be an issue, and tablet batteries are too big to be fast charged by USB power supplies.  If you charge your tablet in a cool environment, it might warm up to where it's warm to touch, but it shouldn't get any warmer than 70-80F (if it does, there's likely something wrong with it!).  

Edited by jaylw314

GP (and I think FF) have dynamic mapping along with other functionality that causes them to be CPU hogs. I had to switch to standard FAA charts to get GP to run on my old gen 4 mini.

FltPlan is less of hog and what I would run if on a older device.

BTW, the battery of the mini is much less capacity than full size tablets, so if you want to run on battery power, full size tablet is the way to go.

Why do we even need iPads in todays age.  We are totally getting ripped off by these avionics manufactures to have the expensive options we have to view a panel mount moving map with sectional.  I find it so comical to see a 50k-100k panel and then iPad mounts all over the place blocking crap.  At work we have just retrofitted the fleet with hundreds of thousands spent on a panel and we still need an iPad....

We should be able to upload our avionics nav database and flight plan up to the plane with our phone.  Then just use a reasonable priced panel mount with a moving map sectional.  Crazy that it has to cost what it does for a certified airplane.   And no the G3x is not reasonably priced..  And a sectional is still the way to go in my opinion. Not enough detail in all those other "aviation" maps and layers that are out there.

Rant over....

• Like 2