Oil filters for M20M

Mark Cline

I waited 7 weeks on a back order from Spruce, but they got them to me. You've probably already seen they're promising a 16 Aug ship date. I know this doesn't help if you have an urgent need but at least you can get ahead of the next one.

Cheers,
Rick

I placed filter orders at both Sporty's and Aircraft Spruce back in March.  If memory serves me correctly, both had tentative August ship dates when I ordered. 

Yesterday I received this e-mail from Sporty's:

"Regretfully, we have been informed by the manufacturer there are further shipping delays and it might be next year before they can begin shipping. Champion is dealing with massive supply chain issues with no real end in sight. 

Because of the uncertainty of the filter delivery, we are cancelling your backorder."

I am OK filter wise right now, and I am hopeful that I don't receive a similar e-mail from Aircraft Spruce.  Trying to stay ahead of the situation.  

Since gas has nearly doubled in price, I have kept the Bravo bridled back to 24/2200 when I am out flying just for the fun of it.  Lower engine temps at that configuration.  I think that others do oil, but not filter changes at 25 hours, then change both at 50 hours.  Right now my Bravo is in the shop for 4 weeks getting its tanks resealed.  When it comes out, if the filter situation has not improved I may resort to the oil but not filter change at 25 hours.   

2 hours ago, Mark Cline said:

Since gas has nearly doubled in price, I have kept the Bravo bridled back to 24/2200 when I am out flying just for the fun of it.  Lower engine temps at that configuration.  I think that others do oil, but not filter changes at 25 hours, then change both at 50 hours.  Right now my Bravo is in the shop for 4 weeks getting its tanks resealed.  When it comes out, if the filter situation has not improved I may resort to the oil but not filter change at 25 hours.   

The Mooney Maintenance Manual for the M20M and the Lycoming Manual for this engine both say the filter and oil get changed at 25 hours. 

• Like 3

I don't understand how Spruce says new orders are expected to ship on August 16th, but my order (placed in May) says it is estimated to ship on September 23rd. Tempest posted on Beechtalk that there is no shortage and they are just seeing a high volume of orders. Although, that could be driven by a Champion shortage....

I hope Spruce continues to honor existing orders and does not cancel them. They have increased the price since my order and I wonder if the order cancellation has more to do with increasing the price.

16 hours ago, Mark Cline said:

"Regretfully, we have been informed by the manufacturer there are further shipping delays and it might be next year before they can begin shipping. Champion is dealing with massive supply chain issues with no real end in sight. 

Because of the uncertainty of the filter delivery, we are cancelling your backorder."

Is this the same Champion that couldn’t make quality spark plugs for a decade?

… and continued to sell the crappy plugs, with variable increasing resistance, as if there was nothing wrong.

That was when things were running well… :)

If you need a reason to change suppliers… this would be a good one.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1