Longer Cowl flap rods ?

Joe Larussa

1 minute ago, Joe Larussa said:

Looks like Spruce had it for 2..44 a foot. Something to do!

If they're selling 1/4" all-thread rod you can get that in the aviation aisle at Home Despot as well, or even order it from Amazon.

30 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Is it possible the flap mechanism is installed incorrectly, IIRC it’s possible to install it backwards.

Anything is possible I guess. I just know if I adjust it out much more I won’t have more than 1/8-3/16 of thread left.

17 hours ago, Joe Larussa said:

Lol!! All thread would save some pain and suffering.

I doubt in this application it matters, but all thread is very weak.

Threads cut with a die are weaker than ones that are rolled too, but average person isn’t equipped to roll threads.

https://www.atlanticfasteners.com/cut-vs-rolled-threads/

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Joe Larussa said:

Anything is possible I guess. I just know if I adjust it out much more I won’t have more than 1/8-3/16 of thread left.

A general rule of thumb that I learned, is 1.5 times the diameter for minimum engagement.

Clarence 

19 hours ago, Joe Larussa said:

The actuator side has a little hole in it where the rod threads in, and the rod is supposed to be visible in that hole.   You can use the thread depth in the fitting on the cowl flap side and the excess depth (past the hole) on the actuator side to plan the overall desired length of the rod.

• Thanks 1