I need an old E6B

Glen Davis

I have a friend who is a flying game warden for the state of Maine. Besides flying with me in my J model, for his job he flies a Cessna 180 on amphibious floats as well as a Cessna 172 with forward looking infrared radar (FLIR). Cool job! He’s going on August 2 to take the written for his ATP. They will not allow him to take a phone or tablet with him when he takes the test but they will allow him to take a calculator. In fact they will allow him to take one of those electronic E6B devices that use to be sold at Sportys.  Does anyone have one around collecting dust that I can beg, borrow or buy? Happy to pay the postage and return it to you if that’s what you’d like. Thank you

2 minutes ago, Glen Davis said:

I have a friend who is a flying game warden for the state of Maine. Besides flying with me in my J model, for his job he flies a Cessna 180 on amphibious floats as well as a Cessna 172 with forward looking infrared radar (FLIR). Cool job! He’s going on August 2 to take the written for his ATP. They will not allow him to take a phone or tablet with him when he takes the test but they will allow him to take a calculator. In fact they will allow him to take one of those electronic E6B devices that use to be sold at Sportys.  Does anyone have one around collecting dust that I can beg, borrow or buy? Happy to pay the postage and return it to you if that’s what you’d like. Thank you

9 hours ago, Glen Davis said:

For what it's worth, all the tests for ATP that I have seen are done on a computer.  The software generally has a flight computer built into the program.  It might be worth asking the testing center if there will be a flight computer / E6B available.  

10 hours ago, Glen Davis said:

I have one I would be willing to sell.  

John Breda

1 hour ago, midlifeflyer said:

I had the electronic one by the time of my instrument checkride ... 30 years ago.

My CFI who also taught my DPE both refused to allow an electronic one.  What would happen if your batteries die.  34yrs later still great friends with both.  They both love ForeFlight and iPads.  I enjoy reminding them when they were luddites. 

• Like 2

Twenty years ago when I took it I used a circular slide rule type E6B. There were a number of long complex problems requiring many computations to get the result and the the answer choices were like 145.1, 144.8, 145.5, 146.0. The analog computer just wasn’t accurate enough. 

2 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Twenty years ago when I took it I used a circular slide rule type E6B. There were a number of long complex problems requiring many computations to get the result and the the answer choices were like 145.1, 144.8, 145.5, 146.0. The analog computer just wasn’t accurate enough. 

Gleim to the rescue.  I think I did my private written in 15 mins and got 100 :-)

Then I figured out C’s get degrees and was a solid 70%’er for the balance of my writtens.