flying into Oklahoma City

DonMuncy

Several years back, but i used the fbo at OKC international.  Several years ago, but didn’t seem expensive on my military budget at the time.  Bit of a ways to Bricktown where we stayed, but the fbo actually gave us a ride one way and our hotel shuttle brought us back.  OKC isn’t that busy, so was easy.

Bricktown is fun.  Some other good museums and dining around the area.

I used Atlantic Aviation at Wiley Post last year. A little pricey on fuel but they waived the ramp fee with that purchase. Treated me like a big shot even with my little Mooney. Had the rent a car on the flight line ready to load up when I arrived. Had my airplane on the flight line the next morning as requested. As I said paid a little more but after a long day it was welcome  service. Wiley Post is easy in and out.

Facilities at Atlantic were top notch. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wound up landing at Wiley Post. I used Jet Set FBO. They were very nice, charged no fees, and had relatively decent fuel prices. 

The idiot pilot of my plane left the master switch on for 2 days and thus a very depleted battery. The maintenance shop at Jet Set jumped my battery  and got me in the air, refusing to take any payment or gratuity.

I reccommend them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

I wound up landing at Wiley Post. I used Jet Set FBO. They were very nice, charged no fees, and had relatively decent fuel prices. 

The idiot pilot of my plane left the master switch on for 2 days and thus a very depleted battery. The maintenance shop at Jet Set jumped my battery  and got me in the air, refusing to take any payment or gratuity.

I reccommend them.

One time I was t sure the master was off and I paid $90 to rake a car service back to the fbo to check 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

I reccommend them.

If you don’t already have a BatteryMINDer now may be a good time to get one. It may be able to help your battery.

2 hours ago, hubcap said:

If you don’t already have a BatteryMINDer now may be a good time to get one.

^^^this^^^.

If the airplane is in the hangar, the BatteryMINDer is on.  I unplug it periodically, count to 153, and plug it back in.  That resets the "float" mode, and forces it to go back to "charge" mode for a little while.  Probably doesn't accomplish anything, but I do it anyway.

11 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

I keep mine on a Battery Minder in my hangar, but not "on the road"

Do you leave your strobes on all the time?  Or maybe beacon or nav lights if no strobes?  I definitely have a healthy fear of leaving my master on in some very hot, dry, remote place with my 6 year olds salty and tired.  I try to tell myself that I’ll notice the strobes while I’m tying it down, but maybe not?

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

Do you leave your strobes on all the time?  Or maybe beacon or nav lights if no strobes?  I definitely have a healthy fear of leaving my master on in some very hot, dry, remote place with my 6 year olds salty and tired.  I try to tell myself that I’ll notice the strobes while I’m tying it down, but maybe not?

I could see using LED landing lights or nav lights all time, but strobes on the ground do not win you any friends.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I could see using LED landing lights or nav lights all time, but strobes on the ground do not win you any friends.

At night I think that’s true, but I don’t think they’re a problem in the daytime unless you’re staring at my wingtip?  You think so?  I guess I don’t think they’re blinding in peripheral vision like at night?

9 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

At night I think that’s true, but I don’t think they’re a problem in the daytime unless you’re staring at my wingtip?  You think so?  I guess I don’t think they’re blinding in peripheral vision like at night?

By mistake I’ve landed and started taxiing with them twice at controlled airports and both times been told to turn them off. 

https://airplaneacademy.com/when-to-use-aircraft-lights-beacon-position-strobe-etc/

With the invention of ADSB-in and iPad apps…

my checklists specific to start-up and shut down have gotten longer…

be sure to start up the apps… and shut them down…

Be sure to unplug what is in the socket…. This socket is kept alive…

No matter what flashing light you use as a reminder… an ADSB device left plugged in a live socket can run things down over the days days….

Battery #1 lives a tougher life than #2…

:)

Best regards,

-a-

26 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

By mistake I’ve landed and started taxiing with them twice at controlled airports and both times been told to turn them off. 

https://airplaneacademy.com/when-to-use-aircraft-lights-beacon-position-strobe-etc/

Interesting.  The AIM (and reg 91.209) says to have them on at all times unless they will “adversely affect the vision of 
other pilots or ground personnel.  “

You could definitely be right and both the AIM and Reg give you the option to turn them off.  Others don’t typically bother me (except at night), so I leave them on anytime I’m running the engine or planning to during the day.

AIM:

https://www.faraim.org/faa/aim/225/aim-225.html

7 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Interesting.  The AIM (and reg 91.209) says to have them on at all times unless they will “adversely affect the vision of 
other pilots or ground personnel.  “

You could definitely be right and both the AIM and Reg give you the option to turn them off.  Others don’t typically bother me (except at night), so I leave them on anytime I’m running the engine or planning to during the day.

AIM:

https://www.faraim.org/faa/aim/225/aim-225.html

Definitely not against the regs to have them on - it just won’t win you any friends. 27 yrs ago the DPE that gave me my IFR checkride told me to turn them off on the ground when I turned them on for startup. He said it was his number one pet peeve. 

Since then after noticing that myself, I figured that any position lights will help others see you on the ground without them seeing spots for hours. 

Many people get instant headaches from flashing lights… and see spots…

So…. While doing a run-up in a crowded area… it may be best for the other passengers, to have them off…

Alone on the ground, or a long way away… no big deal.

Best regards,

-a-

Back in 1977 when I was learning to fly I left the master on.  I was making $3/hr, and paying $12/hr for the C150.  They charged me $25 for my mistake.

I've NEVER done it since.  I have driven back to the airport a couple of times to check, however:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since normally not far after Master On is Beacon On, maybe just leave the beacon on at all times.

Let’s you know if you left the master on.  And when you turn the master on, it tells people around that the airplane is probably getting ready to start.

I would not leave strobes on while taxiing and parking as a habit.  VERY annoying at night