Lycoming Cylinders IO-360-A1A

211º

It appears that I have some blow-by in one of my cylinders.  My annual is coming up in October.  In past annuals, I've been grounded for (to me) what seems like a long time.

Anyway, a week or so ago, I ordered two cylinders for my engine - just in case one (or two) need replaced. And so that I can "whip them out" when needed.

Although the supplier's site says that they're available now (as opposed to other items that show back order), they're now scheduled to be shipped to me around 8/15. From talking to their representative, these were reportedly order by them in April 2021.

So, two things:

1. Yikes on material orders (no news there)

2. If I need only 1 cylinder, I may have an extra for someone with an A1A with dire need.

3 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Curious how you diagnosed that you need a new cylinder?    Compression test?  Did you scope the valves?

I don't know that he did.  He's rather prudently, IMHO, especially in these lousy supply times, covering his backside rather well. Given the market these days, "investing" in a couple of spare cylinders sounds pretty smart!

• Like 1

I don't know that he did.  He's rather prudently, IMHO, especially in these lousy supply times, covering his backside rather well. Given the market these days, "investing" in a couple of spare cylinders sounds pretty smart!

He must have been a Boy Scout like me.

5ddaee5eca894c8c4b249f5fed241743.jpg

I think it was a smart move to get them on order. I have a first run cylinder from my plane that was replaced with a new Lycoming cylinder in 2019. I might have it overhauled and stored just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Curious how you diagnosed that you need a new cylinder?    Compression test?  Did you scope the valves?

I'd like to provide some brilliant engineering analysis... but it was 1 part low-compression prop pull through, 1 part dirty oil after 5 hours blow by, 1 part gut, 1 part I don't want to be grounded for 2 months, 1 part I've vowed away from Southwest for 2 more months after they tricked me with another MDW midnight delay, and 1 part odds are quite good that I'll be able to find a buyer at the price I paid if I don't use or need them this year.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 211º said:

I'd like to provide some brilliant engineering analysis... but it was 1 part low-compression prop pull through, 1 part dirty oil after 5 hours blow by, 1 part gut, 1 part I don't want to be grounded for 2 months, 1 part I've vowed away from Southwest for 2 more months after they tricked me with another MDW midnight delay, and 1 part odds are quite good that I'll be able to find a buyer at the price I paid if I don't use or need them this year.

I don’t fault you for buying the cylinder, but just proceed cautiously replacing one because of blowby.  That’s not usually a fatal flaw if the rings are serviceable and it’s making power.  Often they’ll still make compression as they are “sealed” oil against the walls.  If compression is bad look carefully at the valves.  This is just my experience and it could certainly be some sort of terminal cylinder problem.  Just go slow even though you’ve got a cylinder ready because you could induce a mif.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure to confirm that the IO 360 A1A cylinders are narrow or wide deck. The Mooney is approved with a wide deck version or the narrow deck version of the engine. But you cannot use narrow deck cylinders on wide deck or wide deck cylinders on narrow deck.

27 minutes ago, JonD said:

Do you still have one of these cylinders? I just put in an order for one for my io-360-a1a and i may still be able to cancel it if you have one. currently 14 week lead time.

Be sure to clarify wide deck versus narrow deck   The engine can be either way  

If you end up keeping one for a significant time, be sure to pickle the thing.

‘I like Par-Al-Ketone AKA Black Bear, it’s a cosmoline type of grease that washes off with just about any kind of petroleum solvent.

https://www.univair.com/accessories-supplies/view-all/black-bear-par-al-ketone-1-quart/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjIKYBhC6ARIsAGEds-LlFhwhJ9783BdEzzpykWTjtvDIhF90hA6r2cnQ--C-hiDnZHBGEbMaAjJjEALw_wcB

This seems way too cheap, AC Spruce wants $80 a quart and prices are all over the place so shop around.

it dries to a sort of grease like wax, goes on with a consistency of thin grease, put it on any part that could rust, then wrap with wax paper and it will stay good, longer than I’ll live.

I saw one guy a few years ago during the great Crankshaft AD who bought his at a discount but kept running the engine until he had to change it, when he unwrapped his crank it was rusted bad enough so that it was un-serviceable.

• Like 1

Do you still have one of these cylinders? I just put in an order for one for my io-360-a1a and i may still be able to cancel it if you have one. currently 14 week lead time.

Update: WIDE DECK!

JonD and I have been DMing.

The cylinders were supposed to arrive to the reseller on 8/15. But nothing has hit my Amex yet, so I need to call for another update.