Monroy fuel tanks

Pmaxwell

The long range fuel tanks have been brought up a few times lately and I wanted to let everyone know the STC is going to continue to be available.  Don Maxwell Aviation along with a partner has purchased the STC from Jose and is currently putting kits together to be available by the end of the year.  Our current run of kits will be a total of 30 and if you’re interested in purchasing a kit you can contact myself at Don Maxwell Aviation or Kellen Kester at (812) 240-6223.  We hope to have these available as soon as possible. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Pmaxwell said:

The long range fuel tanks have been brought up a few times lately and I wanted to let everyone know the STC is going to continue to be available.  Don Maxwell Aviation along with a partner has purchased the STC from Jose and is currently putting kits together to be available by the end of the year.  Our current run of kits will be a total of 30 and if you’re interested in purchasing a kit you can contact myself at Don Maxwell Aviation or Kellen Kester at (812) 240-6223.  We hope to have these available as soon as possible. 

That's awesome Don!  Thank you for picking up this superb STC.  I had it installed about 6 years ago and it really improved the flexibility of how I plan missions.  I would definitely install it again if I ever end up with another Mooney without - so I am very glad this STC will live on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Fantastic…and I wish Jose good health.

Same here. I live near Jose and have visited his electronics "lab" in his home many times. He's the consummate story teller and he always had me asking for more. One of my favorite was told to me by a mutual friend.. the two were flying Jose's J model down to Puerto Rico and one of the (I think) KX-155 radios stopped working. Jose contorted himself and got under the panel and when didn't find a problem with the antenna or wiring, pulled the radio out of the rack, opened it up and used a portable soldering iron to fix a circuit.

• Like 5

On 7/22/2022 at 4:26 AM, Pmaxwell said:

how much does a kit for a 252 cost and how can it be installed in Germany?

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MisfitSELF said:

Yes, please -- approximately how much for the kit and labor?  And does the labor have to be done at a specific shop?

Price should be $4,995 for all kits. It does not have to be installed by a specific shop however there are a few people who have done them before and it is recommended to have someone with experience in Mooney fuel tanks do the work. 

• Like 5

In my opinion this is the best airframe upgrade bang for the buck on a Mooney. You can turn a one-stop into a non-stop if you want. You can tanker cheap fuel. It makes trips much more flexible. In the seven Mooneys I’ve had, four of them had the Long Range Tanks. The first one I had Jose Monroy install back in 1997. I had the chance to fly with him from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando and really enjoyed meeting him. Many years later I bought a Mooney that Jose was selling for a friend of his.

A lot of people have been begging for it for the last few years. I hope they all write a check and make it worth the Maxwell’s efforts in obtaining this STC.

• Like 2

Lance couldn’t agree more, without a doubt the best upgrade I’ve done, bought the Mooney in 2006, had the extended range tanks done just after purchase and needed to stop for fuel on way home from Ft Lauderdale. Turned the Bravo into a long range machine 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

In my opinion this is the best airframe upgrade bang for the buck on a Mooney....A lot of people have been begging for it for the last few years. I hope they all write a check and make it worth the Maxwell’s efforts in obtaining this STC.

9 hours ago, Danb said:

Lance couldn’t agree more, without a doubt the best upgrade I’ve done, bought the Mooney in 2006, had the extended range tanks done just after purchase and needed to stop for fuel on way home from Ft Lauderdale. Turned the Bravo into a long range machine 

On 8/4/2022 at 4:39 PM, MisfitSELF said:

Yes, please -- approximately how much for the kit and labor?  And does the labor have to be done at a specific shop?

On 8/4/2022 at 11:10 PM, Pmaxwell said:

Price should be $4,995 for all kits. It does not have to be installed by a specific shop however there are a few people who have done them before and it is recommended to have someone with experience in Mooney fuel tanks do the work. 

In 2001 I had Monroy Long Range Tanks installed on my M20J Missile conversion.  Lone Star Aero, the then respected MSC in San Antonio with lots of Monroy experience, did the install and billed me 55 hours (w/o speed brakes).  That did not include additional hours for sight gauges or any tank repair or painting caps. 

With shop rates easily at $100/hr. in Texas (here is a shop in Grand Prairie, TX advertising $120/hr. regular rates for piston A&P   https://www.jandgaviation.com/shop-rates-aircraftonground)  install labor will cost $5,500 - 6,600.  Add the $5,000 kit and tax ("tax friendly Texas" charges 6.25-8.25% sales tax on aviation parts and labor depending on the city).  Total upgrade cost will likely be around $11,000 - 12,000.  Speed brakes and inexperienced shops will likely increase install hours and cost.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 1980Mooney said:

In 2001 I had Monroy Long Range Tanks installed on my M20J Missile conversion.  Lone Star Aero, the then respected MSC in San Antonio with lots of Monroy experience, did the install and billed me 55 hours (w/o speed brakes).  That did not include additional hours for sight gauges or any tank repair or painting caps. 

With shop rates easily at $100/hr. in Texas (here is a shop in Grand Prairie, TX advertising $120/hr. regular rates for piston A&P   https://www.jandgaviation.com/shop-rates-aircraftonground)  install labor will cost $5,500 - 6,600.  Add the $5,000 kit and tax ("tax friendly Texas" charges 6.25-8.25% sales tax on aviation parts and labor depending on the city).  Total upgrade cost will likely be around $11,000 - 12,000.  Speed brakes and inexperienced shops will likely increase install hours and cost.

In 2014 Paul Beck at Weep No More quoted 40 hours on a Mooney Ovation, all of which have speed brakes. His labor was $100/hr. At the time. Obviously the kit was less expensive back then, but hours shouldn’t have changed even if rate/hr. has changed.

> On Nov 25, 2014, at 8:54 PM, paul <paul@weepnomorellc.com> wrote:
> 
> Hello Lance!
> 
> Thank you for the inquiry!
> 
> The labor pricing to install the Monroy long range kit is $4000, I believe the kit is around 3000 from Monroy. 
> 
> My schedule is getting out in spring,  is that possibility a good time for you?
> 
> Thanks again Lance, and I look forward to your reply!
> 
> 
> Paul Beck
> Weep No More, llc
> 320-295-1671

You want someone doing it that has done a few of these. They can do it in less time and better than someone who is learning on your airplane.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As update they are still waiting for STC transfer to process through FAA.  They also need PMA but have an interim solution with a DER to approve the parts.  I am on the list and hopeful it works to coincide with the annual but it’s paperwork and the FAA…..

• Sad 1