1988 Mooney PFM (Porsche Powered) for sale on Barnstormers!

Ethan

Hmm

I really don't understand someone wanting this one! For me, that was a step back from J, performance wise and cost, rarity now notwithstanding. Especially with this asking price! And not to mention how Porsche exited the market.

I think you have better chance finding supports and parts for TIO541-A1A in M22 then this bird. one of a kind? Sure, but in reality lawn ornament.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shadrach said:

At a reasonable price, it would be worth preserving in its original glory by moving it to exhibition class. At 109k, not so much.

It would make a neat addition to the local Porsche dealers show room.

Clarence

I hate to bring up old prices from days gone by, but in 2014 when I was looking to buy a Mooney there was a guy in the US that was selling TWO Porsche Mooneys for… $60k. Two. For $60k.

The only thing that stopped me from buying both, having one for a parts plane, and slapping a IO550 in the other, was that I was told you could not do the IO550 STC in Canada for that plane. Not sure if that is true but it deterred me.

My 78J (which cost more than $60k) does the same speed and has a higher useful load than this bird, while burning about the same fuel. Shorter body, but as my wife tells me length isn’t everything. She’s a kind woman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blaine beaven said:

I hate to bring up old prices from days gone by, but in 2014 when I was looking to buy a Mooney there was a guy in the US that was selling TWO Porsche Mooneys for… $60k. Two. For $60k.

The only thing that stopped me from buying both, having one for a parts plane, and slapping a IO550 in the other, was that I was told you could not do the IO550 STC in Canada for that plane. Not sure if that is true but it deterred me.

My 78J (which cost more than $60k) does the same speed and has a higher useful load than this bird, while burning about the same fuel. Shorter body, but as my wife tells me length isn’t everything. She’s a kind woman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember that ad in February 2014, Scott MacDonald was selling them. In 2014 you couldn't do the IO-550 STC in the U. S. either. When Mod Works went away in 2004 the STC was gone. All that being said you only have 600 lbs of useful load even with that STC, so not really practical for fuel plus more than one person. The L model (Porsche) had single puck brakes.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 9:36 PM, 231LV said:

I highly doubt it...if I am reading this correctly, Jonny Pollack is the current owner of Mooney and is working hard (some might say struggling) to keep things running smoothly on a significantly slimmed down business plan.  The Factory Service Center has re-opened so you can get maintenance done and he is working to improve the parts side of the business where the future looks brightest. Mooney has such a large (and aging) fleet of Mooneys that parts would seem to be the smartest and quickest way to profitability. No plans to re-start aircraft production, at least for the foreseeable future, which is probably smart. Mooney missed the market for composite, pressurized light turbines. At $840k for a new Acclaim, they are near the price point for a used Lancair Evolution that flies higher, faster and is pressurized. If they ever do re-start production, I hope they start with an entirely new design because continuing to flog a 50 year old design, no matter how good it was can only get you so far. No flames, please, I love my K and don't think there is any other factory plane that gives me a better bang for my buck but if I had $840k to spend on a new Mooney, I would search the couch for some loose change to opt, instead, for the Evo....

I meant the mGTW increase along with the LR tanks, not a new airplane. 

18 minutes ago, rbp said:

I meant the mGTW increase along with the LR tanks, not a new airplane. 

The last program in recent Mooney History is an UL increase for the LBs…

It is discussed around here including input from the managing director of the current Mooney Factory…

Soooo…. It’s not dead yet!

For further updates if interested… you know who to call…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, drstephensugiono said:

That airplane looks so beautiful!  I wonder how much it is for a Mooney liquid rocket conversion?!

Rocket Engineering stopped doing Mooney Rocket, Missile and Liquid Rocket conversions over 20 years ago.  Even if you could do the Liquid Rocket Conversion it's my understanding that there are only one or two shops in the country willing to work on one. 

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

Rocket Engineering stopped doing Mooney Rocket, Missile and Liquid Rocket conversions over 20 years ago.  Even if you could do the Liquid Rocket Conversion it's my understanding that there are only one or two shops in the country willing to work on one. 

Lance, I had to have it! Even if he becomes an experimental with  Porsche parts, so be it!   I didn’t tell you guys that I am an avid car collector so it just fits nicely in one of my hangers.I didn’t tell you guys that I am an avid car collector so it just fits nicely in one of my hangers.

6F1EA0CE-AC1E-44D0-9F4B-406A07DC8B05.jpeg

6A01EB63-D09A-4AF6-A934-765F84378BB9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Now…

If you really want to fire up a Rocket Engineering project…

There is a way to do that too…

Most Rocket Engineering projects came to an end after the market for them was sated….

Essentially the money dries up and RE moves on to the next project…

If this is interesting… one would have to move quickly… Rocket Engineering is it’s (his) later years…. Making contact some days can be a challenge….

Expect the cost to be somewhat higher than before… as there is no scale to gain economies from….   :)

This would make a really cool project…

Contact Mooney to make sure their MGTW increase includes your M20L…. This would make the M20L incredibly up to date… power and UL….  :)

The Experimental route won’t work as expected… Factory built planes aren’t 50% built by their owners…. So their use gets limited to nearly nothing….

You might get really far with an owner produced part…  check the rules and viability going this direction… all the parts that were no longer available for the Porsche engine….  Is exactly the reason the FAA’s OPP program became available! This is nothing new to the old plane world…

One question… is your hangar attached to you house?  Or is the house attached to the hangar? :)

Best regards,

-a-

11 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Now…

Most Rocket Engineering projects came to an end after the market for them was sated….

If this is interesting… one would have to move quickly… Rocket Engineering is it’s (his) later years…. Making contact some days can be a challenge….

Expect the cost to be somewhat higher than before… as there is no scale to gain economies from….   :)

Contact Mooney to make sure their MGTW increase includes your M20L…. This would make the M20L incredibly up to date… power and UL….  :)

The Experimental route won’t work as expected… Factory built planes aren’t 50% built by their owners…. So their use gets limited to nearly nothing….

You might get really far with an owner produced part…  check the rules and viability going this direction… all the parts that were no longer available for the Porsche engine….  Is exactly the reason the FAA’s OPP program became available! This is nothing new to the old plane world…

One question… is your hangar attached to you house?  Or is the house attached to the hangar? :)

Best regards,

-a-

You are so full of knowledge! Anyway I can call you sometime can I get your phone number?You are so full of knowledge! Anyway I can call you sometime can I get your phone number?  Email is ssugiono@msn.com

1 minute ago, drstephensugiono said:

Lance, I had to have it! Even if he becomes an experimental with  Porsche parts, so be it!   I didn’t tell you guys that I am an avid car collector so it just fits nicely in one of my hangers.I didn’t tell you guys that I am an avid car collector so it just fits nicely in one of my hangers.

6F1EA0CE-AC1E-44D0-9F4B-406A07DC8B05.jpeg

I have a Ducati sitting in my living room as art, but as beautiful as a Mooney Porsche is to look at, good luck getting that in an experimental category with Porsche car parts. I could have bought two Mooney Porsches along with a new engine in the crate for $40,000 total just a few years back. Someone much smarter than me wisely talked me out of it. 

Stephen,

Would you prefer the Porsche engine, and keep it in original condition…  (pursuing OPP)

Or go right to 300+hp and increased MGTW…?  (Pursuing Rocket Engineering and Mooney Aircraft Company)

Either route is going to be extra challenging… but not impossible from what we know today…

I’ll send you a PM…

Best regards,

-a-

59 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Now…

Best regards,

-a-

Lol, my house is 12 minutes from KREI where my hangars are.

I did call Rocket Engineering but NO call back.  But I want that Porsche engine in there, why I’m buying it.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I have a Ducati sitting in my living room as art, but as beautiful as a Mooney Porsche is to look at, good luck getting that in an experimental category with Porsche car parts. I could have bought two Mooney Porsches along with a new engine in the crate for $40,000 total just a few years back. Someone much smarter than me wisely talked me out of it. 

WOW!

58 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

What Ducati do u have in the living room??  Yeah my wife would say definitely NO

3 minutes ago, drstephensugiono said:

Lol, my house is 12 minutes from KREI where my hangars are.

I did call Rocket Engineering but NO call back.  But I want that Porsche engine in there, why I’m buying it.

There are a few discussions around here about how best to reach the guy at Rocket Engineering…

There are plenty of Rocket owners that need some maintenance related parts…. Every now and then…

Best regards,

-a-

9 hours ago, drstephensugiono said:

Love the 500 Abarth in there with the exotic iron.

I have a 2012 (ordered) that is my daily driver.  LOVE it.