1988 Mooney PFM (Porsche Powered) for sale on Barnstormers!

Ethan

3 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Yeah it does, makes me think turbine.

But talk about a White Elephant, where would you get parts?

I’d bet Porsche still makes most of the engine parts but not with flugmotor part numbers. Transmission parts would likely need to be fabricated.

57 minutes ago, Ethan said:

wasn’t that the plane that was on eBay for like 30 grand a few years ago? Also where are they going to get Valve springs or an overhaul kit for this thing? $109,000 is a stretch maybe 20% of that.  

Can we say… Owner supplied parts?

Kind of fits the logic of why the OSP rules were created.

Perfect for the Porsche mechanic’s flying needs.

It is the first Long Body of Mooney record!

The TLS improved on the design…

The Bravo perfected the LB design…

As far as buying a plane to have it intentionally wrecked… find the story of all the PFMs in Florida during hurricane Charlie?

Intentionally wrecking airframes never goes over very well… ask Trevor…(?)

There is/was an STC to convert these fine aircraft for a more modern aircraft power plant…. 350hp Water cooled IO550…

It’s remaining challenge is its spindly legs… it’s UL is challenged…

Mooney updated the legs when going to the TLS…

There are still a few flying around the world…

The Mooney factory is planning a UL increase for LBs… it would be interesting if the new UL parts can apply to these birds….  :)

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, rbp said:

Is this true? I would love this in conjunction with the LR tanks 

I highly doubt it...if I am reading this correctly, Jonny Pollack is the current owner of Mooney and is working hard (some might say struggling) to keep things running smoothly on a significantly slimmed down business plan.  The Factory Service Center has re-opened so you can get maintenance done and he is working to improve the parts side of the business where the future looks brightest. Mooney has such a large (and aging) fleet of Mooneys that parts would seem to be the smartest and quickest way to profitability. No plans to re-start aircraft production, at least for the foreseeable future, which is probably smart. Mooney missed the market for composite, pressurized light turbines. At $840k for a new Acclaim, they are near the price point for a used Lancair Evolution that flies higher, faster and is pressurized. If they ever do re-start production, I hope they start with an entirely new design because continuing to flog a 50 year old design, no matter how good it was can only get you so far. No flames, please, I love my K and don't think there is any other factory plane that gives me a better bang for my buck but if I had $840k to spend on a new Mooney, I would search the couch for some loose change to opt, instead, for the Evo....

2 hours ago, 231LV said:

I highly doubt it...if I am reading this correctly, Jonny Pollack is the current owner of Mooney and is working hard (some might say struggling) to keep things running smoothly on a significantly slimmed down business plan.  The Factory Service Center has re-opened so you can get maintenance done and he is working to improve the parts side of the business where the future looks brightest. Mooney has such a large (and aging) fleet of Mooneys that parts would seem to be the smartest and quickest way to profitability. No plans to re-start aircraft production, at least for the foreseeable future, which is probably smart. Mooney missed the market for composite, pressurized light turbines. At $840k for a new Acclaim, they are near the price point for a used Lancair Evolution that flies higher, faster and is pressurized. If they ever do re-start production, I hope they start with an entirely new design because continuing to flog a 50 year old design, no matter how good it was can only get you so far. No flames, please, I love my K and don't think there is any other factory plane that gives me a better bang for my buck but if I had $840k to spend on a new Mooney, I would search the couch for some loose change to opt, instead, for the Evo....

I don’t believe Mr Pollack owns Mooney. He may have some stock options or shares, but he is not the owner. 
In hindsight, it was the worst decision Mooney could have made to  stop manufacturing when they did, but who could have predicted what would happen with Covid. 
They would have easily sold everything they made if they would have continued, even at higher prices. 

The evolution is an experimental and they will never get the traction and compete with certified aircraft.  If they could, they would have been outselling everything for years.

Lastly, the progression of designs and improvements of all things aviation are completely frustrated and tortured by the FAA.
Everything “new” is actually closer to 20 years old by the time it comes to market. 

I do unfortunately agree, Mooney will likely never make new planes again unless something radical happens in the market and to the FAA. 
The former is possible, however unlikely.  
The latter is just too unbelievable to really consider  

What's the story with the engine instruments? Even though the master is off and the key out, the tach is still showing 2,550, the CHT is at 1,400 as well as fuel pressure and tank quantities. Do these gauges "freeze" at their last known measurement?

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Are the engines that unique…I would have expected them to retrofit a automobile engine (944?).

It’s an air cooled 3.2L air cooled six from the G bodied 911 (predecessor to 964). The AD was likely just a way of removing the engine from service. There are likely  valve springs from a Porsche road car that are physically compatible if not legally.

The Add says 168 STOH, that gives it another 332 hours before the valve spring AD grounds it - permanently without an AMOC.

So for a cost of $109,500 providing 332 hrs it comes in at only $330/hr + the usual fixed and operating expenses. What a deal to fly this unique piece of history!  

8 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Suggest you try to get insurance quoted  before closing on an Evolution.   

LOL! When you can afford a million bucks for a "toy", you don't need no stinkin' insurance! Seriously, the Evolution is a different animal than the Acclaim. Composite versus metal, Turbine versus piston, pressurized versus unpressurized., experimental versus factory built...just a totally different animal. Still, cruising 273 kts on 23 gph of Jet A after a brisk 4000 ft/min climb to altitude all in the comfort of a pressurized cockpit is titillating, to say the least. But this is a Mooney forum so I will say the Acclaim is a beautiful machine and I really think they got some things right but Cirrus keeps outselling it...some say its the parachute, others say the UL...it is certainly not the speed!

• Like 1