Another Plane or?

JayMatt

5 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Id want commercial level.  Gyrocopter is a class of the category rotorcraft just like helicopter is.

true for sport pilot though. 

Well the Gyrocopter school out this way said I just called to confirm, and verify I wasnt misunderstanding. With Private Pilot certificate (SEL), fly with an instructor until they feel you are proficient, then it is an endorsement in your logbook. (Though their policy is fly with a different instructor for 1 flight to verify they are comfortable too then they will endorse) he said they had a guy finished in as little as 4 hours though it's usually 8-12hours. It is a rotorcraft but it is just an endorsement in your logbook just like tailwheel, complex or high preformance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeph357 said:

Well the Gyrocopter school out this way said I just called to confirm, and verify I wasnt misunderstanding. With Private Pilot certificate (SEL), fly with an instructor until they feel you are proficient, then it is an endorsement in your logbook. (Though their policy is fly with a different instructor for 1 flight to verify they are comfortable too then they will endorse) he said they had a guy finished in as little as 4 hours though it's usually 8-12hours. It is a rotorcraft but it is just an endorsement in your logbook just like tailwheel, complex or high preformance.

True but that’s at the sport pilot level. Just requires two cfi’s to sign you off. Private and above requires a dpe and if you don’t have rotorcraft category you’ll need to meet all the aeronautical experience including cross countries etc. 

I would like to amend or add to my statement of "an endorsement" to "an add on rating". 

Not trying to argue about it just making a statement about my understanding from the guys I flew in a gyrocopter/gyroplane/autogyro with a couple of times and then called specifically to clarify my understanding.

Point of me posting was to define my "OR" for the OP how simple it was to achieve, and that they do have some of them on floats. They are fun! They arent going to get you anywhere like our Mooneys do but for fun flying I'm a fan! (Not implying my Mooney isn't fun)

5 hours ago, Pinecone said:

Ask them for the Part 61 reference to that.

Heres a couple of links to support my statement(s) highlighted on first link and second paragraph in the second

Training – AutoGyro USA

Adventure Air - Gyroplane, Gyrocopter, Autogyro (adventureairla.com)

Feel free to find it in part 61. I will inquire as to their justification and how they manage it when I'm stepping on that bridge to cross it and will report back. (As life would have it at the moment, it has other plans such as Mooney upgrades, but a gyroplane endorsement/add on rating is on the short list.) They have quite the business going to be putting it in jeopardy over an endorsement or add on rating just because someone has their PPL. I'm sure they have gone thru the steps with the FAA to clear up the details as to why this ok.   

This last link is a couple years old but accurate imho

https://adventureairla.com/flight-traininghttps://inspire.eaa.org/2019/04/25/great-big-gyroplane-grins-the-modern-resurgence-of-a-misunderstood-machine/#:~:text=Gyroplanes missed the chance to be included when,gyroplane rating is required to fly non-ultralight gyroplanes.

3 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

True but that’s at the sport pilot level. Just requires two cfi’s to sign you off. Private and above requires a dpe and if you don’t have rotorcraft category you’ll need to meet all the aeronautical experience including cross countries etc. 

I don't see specific requirements if you already have Rotorcraft Category rating what is required to add the Class rating.  Just proficiency and a sign off for the test?

1 hour ago, Jeph357 said:

I would like to amend or add to my statement of "an endorsement" to "an add on rating". 

Not trying to argue about it just making a statement about my understanding from the guys I flew in a gyrocopter/gyroplane/autogyro with a couple of times and then called specifically to clarify my understanding.

Point of me posting was to define my "OR" for the OP how simple it was to achieve, and that they do have some of them on floats. They are fun! They arent going to get you anywhere like our Mooneys do but for fun flying I'm a fan! (Not implying my Mooney isn't fun)

Heres a couple of links to support my statement(s) highlighted on first link and second paragraph in the second

Training – AutoGyro USA

Adventure Air - Gyroplane, Gyrocopter, Autogyro (adventureairla.com)

Feel free to find it in part 61. I will inquire as to their justification and how they manage it when I'm stepping on that bridge to cross it and will report back. (As life would have it at the moment, it has other plans such as Mooney upgrades, but a gyroplane endorsement/add on rating is on the short list.) They have quite the business going to be putting it in jeopardy over an endorsement or add on rating just because someone has their PPL. I'm sure they have gone thru the steps with the FAA to clear up the details as to why this ok.   

This last link is a couple years old but accurate imho

https://adventureairla.com/flight-traininghttps://inspire.eaa.org/2019/04/25/great-big-gyroplane-grins-the-modern-resurgence-of-a-misunderstood-machine/#:~:text=Gyroplanes missed the chance to be included when,gyroplane rating is required to fly non-ultralight gyroplanes.

From your first link - Upon successful completion of this, a logbook endorsement will allow you to operate within this category as a Gyroplane Sport Pilot.

So that only applies to adding a Sport Pilot Gyroplane rating.  If you want to do your PPL or CPL, you need to follow 61.69, which requires a checkride with a DPE  The following ii if you already have a Rotocraft Category rating.  Without a Rotorcraft rating, you need to meet the Aeronautical Experience requirements in 61.125.

c) Additional aircraft class rating. A person who applies for an additional class rating on a pilot certificate:

(1) Must have a logbook or training record endorsement from an authorized instructor attesting that the person was found competent in the appropriate aeronautical knowledge areas and proficient in the appropriate areas of operation.

(2) Must pass the practical test.

(3) Need not meet the specified training time requirements prescribed by this part that apply to the pilot certificate for the aircraft class rating sought; unless, the person only holds a lighter-than-air category rating with a balloon class rating and is seeking an airship class rating, then that person must receive the specified training time requirements and possess the appropriate aeronautical experience.

(4) Need not take an additional knowledge test, provided the applicant holds an airplane, rotorcraft, powered-lift, weight-shift-control aircraft, powered parachute, or airship rating at that pilot certificate level.

• Like 1