Another Plane or?

JayMatt

So I'm starting this topic to ask what other airplanes you have? Don't get me wrong, I love my Mooney, but I kinda want something a little more fun for local flying. What else do you have if you have more than one plane? Ultra lights, Paragliders or any other oddities that are a lot of fun? I live on the water so I've been thinking about something amphibious or water based completely. would love to see pictures of what else there is to consider. I've had boats and now I prefer just renting those, much more enjoyable. it's also very hot right now

6915a65069f36032f6ce0cf61f4795c8.jpg

11 hours ago, JayMatt said:

So I'm starting this topic to ask what other airplanes you have? Don't get me wrong, I love my Mooney, but I kinda want something a little more fun for local flying. What else do you have if you have more than one plane? Ultra lights, Paragliders or any other oddities that are a lot of fun? I live on the water so I've been thinking about something amphibious or water based completely. would love to see pictures of what else there is to consider. I've had boats and now I prefer just renting those, much more enjoyable. it's also very hot right now

6915a65069f36032f6ce0cf61f4795c8.jpg

Not much mission overlap there with your Mooney.

There is a thread around here that pops up every now and then…

see if we can uncover it as well…

There is the Mooney life style…

Where some own more than one Mooney… find Austin!

Or they live in an airpark… and the hangar fits a plane behind the Mooney…

A few powered chutes, gyrocopters, Bi-planes, open cockpits, seaplanes, and experimental planes and projects…

The best Mooney mechanic I know has a Mooney Mite as his primary airplane, and some 8 cylinder, Brand P, monster as his plan B plane…   :)

Every now and then somebody says my other plane is… followed by a request for a pic…. :)

There is also a thread for everyone’s work planes…. Fighter jets, 747s, turbine helicopters… the usual. :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

17 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

I thought hard about and am still considering a mosquito helicopter. 

But I think it would have to be the turbine version. For just me to explore around the area in, I think it would be perfect. I don’t own an airplane that is happy under 100 mph, so the local meandering is limited. 

Had a guy at the local community airstrip that had some mini gyrocopter or something. Looked really fun as something to just float around in without much speed. My only issue with my Mooney is that you don't really just float around in it and it's not great at circling your house. Don't get me wrong I love it, but I kind of want a toy also, maybe even a skybolt...

We have the Comanche, an RV4, the Mite undergoing restoration for retirement flying, half interest in an RV7A and a 150M, plus access to a 540 powered Skybolt and a twin Comanche.  Enough stuff for most missions.

Clarence

39 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

We have the Comanche, an RV4, the Mite undergoing restoration for retirement flying, half interest in an RV7A and a 150M, plus access to a 540 powered Skybolt and a twin Comanche.  Enough stuff for most missions.

Why are you interested in something that underpowered??? Unless it's going to become your retirement ride . . . .  :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayMatt said:

Had a guy at the local community airstrip that had some mini gyrocopter or something. Looked really fun as something to just float around in without much speed. My only issue with my Mooney is that you don't really just float around in it and it's not great at circling your house. Don't get me wrong I love it, but I kind of want a toy also, maybe even a skybolt...

In the Mooney there is no sense of speed. In any airplane for that matter. But in the PPC flying 20 feet off the deck at 20 mph you feel like a bird.

-Robert

21 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I don’t have any other airplanes right now. I am intrigued by the Air Cam. Twin engine. Open or closed cockpit. Tail dragger on land, floats are an optional. Good payload and range. The market seems strong, buy one used for ~250k or build one for ~200k.

F294EE53-5AA3-4E8C-BA4F-EFD762CFC069.jpeg.e0eba244fc832fdbd69cda6d00447e02.jpeg

Thinking about getting my MES in the aircam. They have a school in Florida

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hank said:

But > 200 AMU acquisition cost??????  :o

Yes. More expensive to buy a completed, used airframe than to buy a new fast build kit. AOPA had one at KFDK for a year or so. Looked like tremendous fun. Like an early morning motorcycle ride over the forests and farmlands.

@Austintatious, I’ve been flying to work lately living the dream. Out my living room door into the hangar, over the Atlanta traffic and arrive at work in 20 minutes. Sure beats a hour plus drive!

On topic, the other airplanes in my hangar are a Culver Cadet, a Sonerai 1, and there is a 1950 PA20 hanging from the rafters waiting for attention.

1501D692-85D8-4CA8-AF69-0C55F692580C.jpeg

614B93C4-301E-4306-A729-E246F8D4E1A1.jpeg

Edited by Culver LFA
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 4:48 AM, JayMatt said:

would love to see pictures of what else there is to consider

Thinking the same something for " low and slow." Went up in a couple of gyrocopters and had a blast! Other things then that is on the short list. They have them on floats!  Here's a video it's loud I don't do editing and what not and I'm far from a videographer! This was out of Inverness, the other times were local. Turn down the volume...

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 9:49 PM, DCarlton said:

The CubCrafters Carbon Cub line look like they could be fun to me.  I'm intrigued by some of the high wing kits.  The new Vans, Sling, etc.  

somebody posted a video of a carbon cub flying around NJ a while back…

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, Jeph357 said:

It's just an endorsement 

Since when???

Part 61 lists the requirements for a Rotorcraft Category/Gyroplane Class rating.  So it is like SEL or MEL Class rating on an Airplane Category.

10 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Since I'm rated in airplanes and helicopters a gyrocopter rating would be awesome.

I have been thinking the same thing.  There are a couple of places nearby that do the Add On rating, but they only advertise on the Light Sport Category.  I would want it on my Commercial,

On 7/26/2022 at 2:10 AM, Jeph357 said:

Thinking the same something for " low and slow." Went up in a couple of gyrocopters and had a blast! Other things then that is on the short list. They have them on floats!  Here's a video it's loud I don't do editing and what not and I'm far from a videographer! This was out of Inverness, the other times were local. Turn down the volume...

This is so damn cool. I would love to do something like that. living on the coast with a house on the water, I'm leaning more towards something with floats. But a little gyro on floats would definitely be a cool thing or any other weird contraption 

• Like 1