Engine mount

Any advice with a bent (slightly arched) lower left member of the engine mount of a 67F?

The arch is approximately 1/8” toward the firewall, and the resulting tilting of the engine is negligible (1/64”). My concern is the downward effort not being translated along the length of the member, and instead creating a bowing momentum of the member.

Any thoughts?

p.s. wrote to Mooney, no answer…

Don’t know what caused the bend. Back in 1970, the airplane was stopped in a chicken wire fence, and the book says it was properly repaired. No other damages listed in the logbooks. All AD’s complied with. I see both AD’s on the engine mount are complied with. It is obvious it is an old issue. The airplane is new to me, and I just saw it after I mounted the newly OH engine… 

43651478-FBB9-40C3-8F59-1705980AD8F0.jpeg

A82FACE9-927C-4A8A-986E-A1587FF7CC17.jpeg

Yikes!

There are aviation welding shops that OH engine mounts…

Often, when OHing the engine… people opt to send the mount out for inspection and paint…

Any time the prop does the stopping instead of the brakes…. An inspection of the engine mount usually follows….

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

17 hours ago, Luci said:

Any advice with a bent (slightly arched) lower left member of the engine mount of a 67F?

The arch is approximately 1/8” toward the firewall, and the resulting tilting of the engine is negligible (1/64”). My concern is the downward effort not being translated along the length of the member, and instead creating a bowing momentum of the member.

Any thoughts?

p.s. wrote to Mooney, no answer…

Good eye noticing that.  That's pretty subtle.

6 hours ago, Luci said:

it’s in the shop now. I didn’t felt comfortable with it. 

Good Plan!  That particular frame member is mainly in compression and any bending of it greatly reduces its strength.  The lower two (L and R) members together hold a large portion of the weight of the engine and prop. 

• Like 2

I sent my mount to AWI for inspection and refinishing. Looked beautiful when it came back. 

You mentioned repairs to the mount that were done in the 1970s. Was that the last time the mount was properly inspected? A lot can happen over a (roughly) fifty year time period.

077CCF6F-65D9-4B4F-B2F6-56B96D99764A.jpeg

Edited by BKlott
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2022 at 7:39 PM, 67 m20F chump said:

I sent mine to Lasar.  They turned it quickly for a reasonable price.  I got it good, quick and cheap.  I thought that was impossible!

Just curious ballpark what reasonable price means? I'm trying to roughly estimate what it will cost to overhaul vs replace the engine mount on my 67F. Thanks.

OH is a normal step in engine mount ownership…

with the economics similar to engines… most people OH their engines instead of buying a new one from the factory…

Then again… there are people that prefer the new from the factory for things… :)

Best regards,

-a-