Dead stick landing, Two failures in one day, need spinner bulkhead

I recently got N9149P back from getting an engine reman and other work done.  Today I was on a short trip from KBAK to KPTK to put some time on her.

On final to 27L at KPTK I pull the power back from around 50% power to slow down and no engine response.  I push pull and the throttle has clearly come disconnected.  At this point I don't have enough energy at 50% power to go around (or fly back home, yes that entered my mind for split second), so I judged the distance, pulled the mixture, and performed a dead stick landing.   I did quickly make a call to tower "engine out, should make the field, 49P."   Tower came came back and said, "say again?"  I didn't, I focused on the landing as this all transpired in less than two minutes.   Once I touched down I said, "49P my throttle broke and I had to land without the engine, I can roll off the runway wherever you want."   They came came back gave instructions, we talked a bit, and they called a tug.

So, they tow me to Michigan Aviation.  As I wait for the mechanic I can clearly see that the throttle came came detached at the throttle body.   Even though it was just assembled 5 tach hours ago it had come loose and while working out stripped a few threads on the connector.  Good news is they had a part, put it on, and 90 minutes later (on a Friday afternoon) I was back in action.  Way to go Michigan Aviation!!

So, I flew back to KBAK celebrating the fact that I could continue my plan to break in the engine prior to OSH with a trip to ND and CO this coming week.  While putting the aircraft way I noticed a bit of paint chipped off at the root of a prop blade (which had just be overhauled too).  I investigate and find the spinner can move...then remove the cowl to find the spinner bulkhead cracked around 70% of the circumference.   

What a day ;-(    I bummed that my plans to take my 83 year old Dad to his first OSH will not happen.  I might be able to get a ride with a friend or drive.

In search of a spinner bulkhead for a McCauley B3D32C417-D with an electric boots.  My shop is on the hunt too.

image.jpeg.990c7e47e085c0bdd46d112ec4c3a0f0.jpegimage.jpeg.17a6a6705a3f764183aebbbdb56e4871.jpegimage.jpeg.f766951d6d57c5878dddc995f9dc7c4a.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

35 minutes ago, Boilermonkey said:

I did quickly make a call to tower "engine out, should make the field, 49P."   Tower came came back and said, "say again?"  I didn't, I focused on the landing as this all transpired in less than two minutes. 

Great job keeping your head and flying the plane!  It's the difference between good pilots and great pilots.  :D

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Color me skeptical that that spinner crack propagated slowly over time. I wonder if there is more to the story. Nice job managing the situation.

Yeah, so the MS service center (not named) and the prop shop would have had it less than 5 hours ago...so either they missed it, or it onset rapidly ???

2 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

I recently got N9149P back from getting an engine reman and other work done.  Today I was on a short trip from KBAK to KPTK to put some time on her.

On final to 27L at KPTK I pull the power back from around 50% power to slow down and no engine response.  I push pull and the throttle has clearly come disconnected.  At this point I don't have enough energy at 50% power to go around (or fly back home, yes that entered my mind for split second), so I judged the distance, pulled the mixture, and performed a dead stick landing.   I did quickly make a call to tower "engine out, should make the field, 49P."   Tower came came back and said, "say again?"  I didn't, I focused on the landing as this all transpired in less than two minutes.   Once I touched down I said, "49P my throttle broke and I had to land without the engine, I can roll off the runway wherever you want."   They came came back gave instructions, we talked a bit, and they called a tug.

So, they tow me to Michigan Aviation.  As I wait for the mechanic I can clearly see that the throttle came came detached at the throttle body.   Even though it was just assembled 5 tach hours ago it had come loose and while working out stripped a few threads on the connector.  Good news is they had a part, put it on, and 90 minutes later (on a Friday afternoon) I was back in action.  Way to go Michigan Aviation!!

So, I flew back to KBAK celebrating the fact that I could continue my plan to break in the engine prior to OSH with a trip to ND and CO this coming week.  While putting the aircraft way I noticed a bit of paint chipped off at the root of a prop blade (which had just be overhauled too).  I investigate and find the spinner can move...then remove the cowl to find the spinner bulkhead cracked around 70% of the circumference.   

What a day ;-(    I bummed that my plans to take my 83 year old Dad to his first OSH will not happen.  I might be able to get a ride with a friend or drive.

In search of a spinner bulkhead for a McCauley B3D32C417-D with an electric boots.  My shop is on the hunt too.

image.jpeg.990c7e47e085c0bdd46d112ec4c3a0f0.jpegimage.jpeg.17a6a6705a3f764183aebbbdb56e4871.jpegimage.jpeg.f766951d6d57c5878dddc995f9dc7c4a.jpeg

Is the front bulkhead installed?

Clarence

37533C7B-14FD-43E3-B470-96A7289AA4DF.jpeg

B9EEE369-1198-4DD1-B72B-CF17D63E234C.jpeg

I busted one of these years ago on my F model with a 201 prop. I realize we are talking apples and oranges with your Bravo prop, but Clarences' post reminded me of the importance of the fit of the front bulkhead and the hub. This should be very tight and shimmed with UHMW tape if needed.

• Like 2

I had a brand new throttle install disconnect on the first flight.  Shop error.  But when it disconnected my engine went to high RPM and I used the mixture to throttle the engine.  I thought all engines were supposed to go to high RPM when this happens.  Yours did not?

15 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

I had a brand new throttle install disconnect on the first flight.  Shop error.  But when it disconnected my engine went to high RPM and I used the mixture to throttle the engine.  I thought all engines were supposed to go to high RPM when this happens.  Yours did not?

That's what I thought happens too....but it didn't!   Made for fewer options...it meant that this was going to be the one shot...RIGHT NOW.   

32 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

Nope. Had a PA-18 a few years back that had the bolt come out. If you're lucky the throttle will stay where it is. On a bad day, it vibrates backwards.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

Yeah, so the MS service center (not named) and the prop shop would have had it less than 5 hours ago...so either they missed it, or it onset rapidly ???

You don't have to name the shop.  There is only one MSC at the airport that FlightAware shows test flights where your plane has been for the last couple months.  Based on all the work you mention I suspect that you handed them a check for $75-80K+.  It is sad that this is the quality of work delivered.  

Quite frankly you are lucky to be unscathed.  A detached throttle is obviously deadly.  A cracked spinner leading to detachment less so but a Bonanza with the same failure fatally crashed in 2018 because the distraction led to poor pilot decision making.   Accident Beechcraft A35 Bonanza N580B, 15 Jun 2018 (aviation-safety.net)

Do you now wonder what else was poorly or improperly done to your plane by these mechanics/MSC/prop shop?

BTW. Who is paying for all this rework/repair?… Did you tell them to “just send the invoice to the MSC/prop Shop”?

Edited by 1980Mooney
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 1980Mooney said:

You don't have to name the shop.  There is only one MSC at the airport that FlightAware shows test flights where your plane has been for the last couple months.  Based on all the work you mention I suspect that you handed them a check for $75-80K+.  It is sad that this is the quality of work delivered.  

Quite frankly you are lucky to be unscathed.  A detached throttle is obviously deadly.  A cracked spinner leading to detachment less so but a Bonanza with the same failure fatally crashed in 2018 because the distraction led to poor pilot decision making.   Accident Beechcraft A35 Bonanza N580B, 15 Jun 2018 (aviation-safety.net)

Do you now wonder what else was poorly or improperly done to your plane by these mechanics/MSC/prop shop?

BTW. Who is paying for all this rework/repair?… Did you tell them to “just send the invoice to the MSC/prop Shop”?

Yeah, I guess there isn't anonymity in the world anymore.  They've said they are going to do right by me to address the issues (there's more).  I'll let everyone know how it goes.   

• Like 2

There is a hole in the side of that throttle rod end.  The rod should be screwed in far enough to block that hole.  Looking at the picture, obviously it wasn’t.  The shop might have checked that If they adjusted it, but those failed threads probably developed over more than five hours.  Maybe owners reading these post will check their own on the next oil change.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah there's more, but probably best that the shop and I resolve the issues rather than continue the discussion online at this point.  Right?  They are surprised and apologetic.  I'm disappointed and angry.  They said they are going to make it right, as long as that happens in a timely and fair way then we'll close the chapter of this book.   

• Like 2

Great work Boilermonkey!

We have seen a few engine controls come apart over the years….

Which usually leads to the discussion of when to replace them….

Disconnected after 5hrs…. That is eye opening!

Thanks for sharing the details.

Check in with @Cody Stallings regarding prop and spinner parts…. Cody has a prop shop and supports MSers often!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1