Weather on my Garmin Equipment

I just returned from a trip from Vero Beach to Nashville. On the return trip I couldn't get weather on my 750XI or 355. I use FIS-B weather. Just before the trip my 345 was sent back to Garmin for repair.  It came back with a clean bill of health. It worked fine on the trip out but didn't work on the trip back. I took my bird back to the avionics shop to fix a 750 com issue. They say that the weather works fine now. What could make that happen? Should I subscribe to Sirrus?

11 minutes ago, Speed Merchant said:

They say that the weather works fine now

Sounds like they should be able to answer your question.

I have both Ads-b and Siris XM on my bird. Both are very reliable and I get Ads-b wx and traffic on the ground at my home airport.

The advantage of XM is that you're not limited to about 250nm out for airport wx and and the high resolution Nexrad image as you are with Ads-B wx.

To get SIRIUS weather you'd need to get a GDL 69 installed.

Yes, If you want SIRIUS you probably want to take advantage of getting music too, therefore would want the GDL 69A. Music on long cross countries is really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Speed Merchant said:

What could make that happen? Should I subscribe to Sirrus?

You would have to have seen the ADSB info page and see if the data download didnt complete for some reason. It could be a number of reasons. I have often had mine not update correctly on trips from houston to el paso around the 3/4 point when im low in alt.

Sirus is just another source for weather, and personally, i wouldnt care to pay for it unless i was getting XMradio with it. But i have Bose A20s for music so ymmv. 

You would have to have seen the ADSB info page and see if the data download didnt complete for some reason. It could be a number of reasons. I have often had mine not update correctly on trips from houston to el paso around the 3/4 point when im low in alt.

Sirus is just another source for weather, and personally, i wouldnt care to pay for it unless i was getting XMradio with it. But i have Bose A20s for music so ymmv. 

you’re high lighting one of the pluses of XM, always available every where in the continental US and beyond for some products from the ground up because it’s satellite based.
Doesn’t mean it justifies the cost to all, just many of us. I would point again it’s much more valuable in longer cross countries where it provides info you that i’d out range for Ads-b. For shorter trips upto 250 nm it’s provides little more than Ads-b unless you’re not in reception range.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kortopates said:

you’re high lighting one of the pluses of XM, always available every where in the continental US and beyond for some products from the ground up because it’s satellite based.
Doesn’t mean it justifies the cost to all, just many of us. I would point again it’s much more valuable in longer cross countries where it provides info you that i’d out range for Ads-b. For shorter trips upto 250 nm it’s provides little more than Ads-b unless you’re not in reception range.

I have found good preflight planning to be better for avoiding weather than adsb or xm weather.

I do miss the onboard radar from the citation though 

• 1 month later...

Use your iPhone for music.  Most up to date panels have an audio panel with Bluetooth.  

SiriusXM Aviation data service elements are updated at multiple rates. Dynamic elements like radar and lightning are updated every 2.5 minutes (twice as fast as ADS-B).

I subscribed to XM for the past year primarily because we seem to be getting a lot more pop up thunderstorms than in previous years. I would get a sense something was up with the weather when I started to see activity on the WX-500 but FIS-B still looked pretty benign. XM refreshes quicker and what I noticed is how much quicker greens went to yellow then to red.

A side benefit is that I can’t get FIS-B on the ground at my airport and XM is always there.

All that said, is it worth selling off furniture to pay for it? The nice thing is you can suspend the service when you don’t fly as much or don’t need it (like when you’re in for an avionics upgrade).

My Lynx feeding the Aspens provide the FIS-B stuff and I use a GDL-50 and my iPad for the XM stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2