Transition from PA28/C172 to Mooney...

Fix

Thanks for all answers, good information and input.

Quick question, is the M20R more roomier than a M20J when sitting in left seat as Pilot?
I sit OK an a M20J, but the head room could be little better.
I'm 6.3" tall.

On 7/29/2022 at 2:29 PM, Fix said:

Thanks for all answers, good information and input.

Quick question, is the M20R more roomier than a M20J when sitting in left seat as Pilot?
I sit OK an a M20J, but the head room could be little better.
I'm 6.3" tall.

The M20R has nicely adjustable seats to lower your eyes from the ceiling… :)

Go O!

Best regards,

-a-

15 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

Does that mean the M20J does not have height-adjustable seats.  The M20K 252 has them.  That said, it may have been an option when the airplane was new.

The Bravo probably lead the use of height adjustable seats…

They spread from there…

In terms of material cost… the additional adjustment is very little… and works equally well in all cabins…

Might show up in planes marked MSE first…

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the good input...

I finally managed to test fly an Ovation 2 with 310hp mod with a good instructor at my side.
Windy day with 15kt up to 25kt gusts, not that much crosswind, maybe 10-20 degree.
Was little nervous to fly a new type of aircraft under those circumstances and at a new airfield in another country too...

Starting the engine was the most simple procedure I've ever seen.

I think it's little more tight in the cabin that an Arrow and Cessna 172, but better then the M20J 201.
Differences between M20J and M20R could be wrong, since it's a while since I sat in the 201.
But older Arrows have more head room, maybe quite equal at shoulder height.

It's a fantastic plane in every way. Vert fast and stable. Think we had 205kt GS at most...
Sadly I only had 30 min of flight before we landed.

It's thirsty...  Think it took 18 gallon before be leaned it out, and then we had around 15 gallon.

We climbed to 6000ft in a couple of minutes...

The Ovation wanted to accelerate more or less all the time, and you needed to be alert to have control of everything.
It was quite easy to get rid of the speed for landing, Speed breaks did it work. And landing gear and flaps and 75-80IAS for final when landing.
Think I did one of my best landings ever, almost didn't feel when the main touched ground.
I've read that it should be nose heavy, but nothing I did noticed this time.
We had quite much head wind, that probably helped me little to land.

It also became clear it's very much travel oriented where I can think it will be fantastic to fly with.
For shorter trips, it will probably feel like driving an F1 car...  But you can probably ease of the throttle.

Now I need to decide if the Ovation is "too much" or it's everything I ever need...

Hopefully next  week I will be able to fly an Mooney M20K 252.

The candidates that I'm looking at right now are.

Mooney Ovation 2
Mooney M20J 201
Piper PA28 Turbo Arrow III

The Arrow in interesting since it's little bit more roomier then the Mooney, and have good climb power to FL100-150.
And will also cost quite less money.