Anyone have a source for baffles for a M20F?

Helping out a friend of mine who has a 1976 F. The baffles are just about falling apart and he is trying to decide on spending the AMUs to repair the existing ones or buy new. Does anyone have a source as to where baffles for a F model could be purchased? Airforms makes them for the J but not for the F. My recommendation would be an MSC or direct to the factory, if they are selling them. 

Anyone have any sources they know make them?

TIA

You might call Airforms, they told me they have PMA for more of the Mooney models than they advertise. They quit selling them because they don’t always fit just right. Not because they don’t make them right, but because the Mooneys are all a little different. If you can convince them you won’t be a PITA and that you might need to do a little rework, they may make you some.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Better to make them.  Use 0.040" thick aluminum.  Use Machinist's Blue Dye and a sharp scriber.  Trace out the parts.  Cut, file or grind very slightly larger thn needed to permit hand filling with a file.  Take your time, save alot of money and end up with a better product that fits your application.

John Breda

• Like 5

On 7/12/2022 at 10:01 PM, Oldguy said:

Helping out a friend of mine who has a 1976 F. The baffles are just about falling apart and he is trying to decide on spending the AMUs to repair the existing ones or buy new. Does anyone have a source as to where baffles for a F model could be purchased? Airforms makes them for the J but not for the F. My recommendation would be an MSC or direct to the factory, if they are selling them. 

Anyone have any sources they know make them?

TIA

Just to be clear, you are referring to the baffles (sheet metal) and not the baffle seals (silicon rubber)?

On 7/26/2022 at 2:38 PM, Shadrach said:

Just to be clear, you are referring to the baffles (sheet metal) and not the baffle seals (silicon rubber)?

Correct, sir.

And he has found someone to rebuild/make a set for him.

In Longview...

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

If you are detail-oriented, good with hand tools, and have access to an A&P that has a brake, sheer, sheet metal roller and will let you use it, or he will do it for you, you are likely better off to make them yourself.  The bulk of the work is measuring, carefully fitting with Dremel tool/files.  Use the old baffles as a template and lay the parts out with machinist's dye and a scriber.  Riveting can be tricky if you have never done it.  A pneumatic rivet squeezer makes life much easier.

John Breda

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 11:49 AM, davesly said:

I sure could use some help finding someone to make M20F baffles as well.  Please let me know if anyone has a contact who could help me.

Thanks!

I run my own metal fabrication shop and just finished a set of aluminum baffles for a C210. Some of the factory parts were fine but a half dozen side baffles were cracked and/or falling apart and needed replaced. I'm not familiar with the Mooney baffling but if you send me a pic,  I may be able to help.

20221110_165642.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MooneyMayhem said:

I run my own metal fabrication shop and just finished a set of aluminum baffles for a C210. Some of the factory parts were fine but a half dozen side baffles were cracked and/or falling apart and needed replaced. I'm not familiar with the Mooney baffling but if you send me a pic,  I may be able to help.

That is a heck of an offer!  I'll bet @davesly isn't the only one that could use some new baffles.

Thanks for the offer.  Unfortunately, I don't have any baffles at all to use as a template.  I purchased a 1969 Mooney M20F without an engine.  All I have to go by are the picture of the baffle system in the parts guide.  

Lasar did get back to me and said that they had the front Right and both rear-side baffles in stock.  The two front-side baffles are in their system but are out of stock.  They don't have the front left, or either of the rear baffles in their system.

On 5/11/2023 at 9:09 AM, MooneyMayhem said:

20221110_165642.jpg

On 5/14/2023 at 10:46 AM, davesly said:

Thanks for the offer.  Unfortunately, I don't have any baffles at all to use as a template.  I purchased a 1969 Mooney M20F without an engine.  All I have to go by are the picture of the baffle system in the parts guide.  

Lasar did get back to me and said that they had the front Right and both rear-side baffles in stock.  The two front-side baffles are in their system but are out of stock.  They don't have the front left, or either of the rear baffles in their system.

I have F model baffling except for the front of the cylinders that is excess for my needs. It’s available if you need a good start. Appears to be in fairly decent shape.

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sabremech said:

I have F model baffling except for the front of the cylinders that is excess for my needs. It’s available if you need a good start. Appears to be in fairly decent shape.

Thanks,

David

Thanks!  I just sent you a PM.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 9:09 AM, MooneyMayhem said:

20221110_165642.jpg

@MooneyMayhem

Did anything become of this project?

• 8 months later...

What’s the latest on this? Is anyone making M20F baffles now? I have a doghouse on my 67 E, but it was built during the transition period and has the proper reinforced upper cowling. I would love to switch to an open baffle setup.