New owner ... Breather Tube & Gascolator Questions

PhateX1337

Getting to know my new Bravo ... two questions for this esteemed group:

1. I'm assuming the tube pictured below leaving the cowling is the breather tube? It's on the right (compared to left in my J) and doesn't appear to have ice holes, but I don't see any other tubes leaving the cowling at all (no vacuum system, so no vacuum tubes leaving). Trying to confirm that's right for the engine saver to be put into between flights.
  2. Gascolator seems to have a slow drip ... maybe once every 30 seconds or so. Tried reseating the part you pull to sample multiple times, but it doesn't seem to fix it. There is also a lot of friction to pull & put it back in place from the cabin - assuming that may be a sign it needs to be rebuilt/at least have some seals replaced? Or would this leak be from something else altogether?

Thanks!

IMG_5013r.jpg

IMG_5012.jpg

IMG_5011.jpg

Welcome to Bravo ownership!

1. Yes, that is the breather tube. For what it's worth I changed from inserting my Engine Saver at the breather tube to inserting it into the oil fill tube by drilling a hole for the Engine Saver tube in a silicone stopper that fits snugly into the oil fill tube. Much easier to use and you don't have to worry about the foam on the Engine Saver tube coming apart in the breather tube.

2. Probably just the seals but you won't know for sure until you open it up and look. Definitely something you want to get remedied sooner rather than later as it will only get worse.

Cheers,
Rick

Thanks Rick! I actually had put my Engine Saver through the oil filler tube in my prior J as well, so I may just keep doing that. I 3D printed a screw on cap with a hole in it that the breather tube passes through, works pretty well from what I can tell.

And good to know on the gascolator - going in for Annual in August so I'll add it to the list.

I don't - there is another thread here that debates if it's needed or not. The pump runs every hour and puts fresh dry air into the engine, I figure the oil filler method is still getting similar levels of dry air into the engine, albeit without the same level of seal as if you did it through the breather tube.

I would never plug the breather - would always be afraid I'd forget that in preflight (especially trying to block the ice hole somehow...)

1 minute ago, kortopates said:

the drip out of the nipple doesn’t look like the gascolator but the electric boost pump drain which should not drip. if so, it needs to be rebuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - the boost pump needs to be rebuilt, or just the drain? Any recommended shops that do that?

• 4 months later...

Couple more follow up questions as I keep learning the Bravo & systems ...

1. What's the pictured drain tube here? Comes out roughly in line with the gear from the belly?
  2. Noticed in left wheel well today a potential fuel leak ... honestly not sure if it was like this when I got it or if it's new, so I cleaned it up as best I could and will monitor. Left wing was resealed by Weep No More in Wilmar in Jan of 2019, so I'd be surprised if it's already that leaking....
    1. Is it the seam underneath the rivets likely, or something else leaking would you suspect? Any suggestions how best to monitor? What best removes fuel stains so I can clearly see if they come back? I tried some SD20 but it leaves blue staining still...

IMG_5406.jpg

IMG_5405.jpg

IMG_5403.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

Looks like a pretty fresh fuel leak…

Showing where it is getting to, before drying out…

Now… to find the source…

leaks at the top wing surface… are often heat related sealant issues…

how close to weep no more are you?

Are you familiar with the Bravo’s ‘sniffle valve’…? The intake systems always have a drain… that may be it…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regard,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Looks like a pretty fresh fuel leak…

Showing where it is getting to, before drying out…

Now… to find the source…

leaks at the top wing surface… are often heat related sealant issues…

how close to weep no more are you?

Are you familiar with the Bravo’s ‘sniffle valve’…? The intake systems always have a drain… that may be it…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regard,

-a-

Thanks. I’m not familiar with the sniffle valve but would make sense. Just curious more than anything.

As for the leak - yeah I’m wondering where it starts from too. I feared it may be new. Frustrating with it just resealed. 4.5 hours or so to Weep No More.