Another one... Oxnard CA

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 6:42 PM, Fly Boomer said:

Probably the information is incomplete, but it doesn't show the balloon icon on screen -- there were a couple of balloons shown above 60,000.  The icon looked like a glider with really long wings, but of course the icon is just something the site developers picked to depict the craft.

In July 2022, Zephyr S spent 26 days airborne, breaking its previous record from 2018.[20] The flight began on 15 June in Arizona, and by 22 July the plane was still flying after being aloft for 36 days. It marked the Zephyr's first venture into international airspace and over waterand, its longest continuous flight using satellite communication controls.[21]

On 7/10/2022 at 9:21 PM, Wildhorsetrail said:

So, this got me thinking. Anyone on here have an engine out experience? It looks like the pilot was just a few hundred feet short of the runway. Assuming this was a full engine failure, I'm guessing the "engine out" practice we've all had in training would have got him to the runway. But the difference in actual performance between a full failure and an engine at idle is something we don't often experience.

Yes, oil cooler failed at 5.5 as a student on a night XC, Instructor landed. Being glued to the six pack as student, never saw the oil pressure drop which happened quick, fortunately for us HE did.  

the little Lycoming gave us 2000-3000 rpm’s all the way down, no need to pull dipstick as the oil was all over lower half cowl, wings belly etc… Oil sump was dry. I asked the only mechanic on field how long could that engine could run without oil, he said he didn’t know cause we were first to make it back. He had a warm hanger with his P51 and M20J 

All goes back to private training and the quality of ur CFI some prefer to pound things in the students over worked brains. 

During your patterns in random spots, Ask yourself if I had engine out, could I make the Rnwy if NOT you are too far away.  

On 7/10/2022 at 9:21 PM, Wildhorsetrail said:

So, this got me thinking. Anyone on here have an engine out experience? It looks like the pilot was just a few hundred feet short of the runway. Assuming this was a full engine failure, I'm guessing the "engine out" practice we've all had in training would have got him to the runway. But the difference in actual performance between a full failure and an engine at idle is something we don't often experience.

A lot of the engine out training training I received from CFIs early on was of limited usefulness. Pretty much pitch for Vbg, pick some real estate, point the plane in that direction and run the (likely useless) restart flow. 
no focus on wind analysis or power off energy management.

For more information on engine out planning….

Nate Jaros, an MSer, from years ago…. Wrote the book!

:)

Nate also has some significant Air Force training to back up all that he wrote…

Get an e-copy… it is low cost and high value…

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Out-Survival-Tactics-Emergencies-ebook/dp/B01HTWFPQU?dplnkId=946eaa2f-86df-45c7-a39d-07146129d7b6&nodl=1

note the cover picture… it’s not a Mooney.   :)

+1 for engine monitors…

+1 for good fuel gauges…

+1 for knowing how to get that last drop of fuel that is still in the tanks….

+1 for this pilot’s skills to keep flying it the whole way…

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 10:15 PM, carusoam said:

For more information on engine out planning….

Nate Jaros, an MSer, from years ago…. Wrote the book!

:)

Nate also has some significant Air Force training to back up all that he wrote…

Get an e-copy… it is low cost and high value…

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Out-Survival-Tactics-Emergencies-ebook/dp/B01HTWFPQU?dplnkId=946eaa2f-86df-45c7-a39d-07146129d7b6&nodl=1

note the cover picture… it’s not a Mooney.   :)

+1 for engine monitors…

+1 for good fuel gauges…

+1 for knowing how to get that last drop of fuel that is still in the tanks….

+1 for this pilot’s skills to keep flying it the whole way…

Best regards,

-a-

I second Nate Jaros' book! Just finished it.