Another one... Oxnard CA

So, this got me thinking. Anyone on here have an engine out experience? It looks like the pilot was just a few hundred feet short of the runway. Assuming this was a full engine failure, I'm guessing the "engine out" practice we've all had in training would have got him to the runway. But the difference in actual performance between a full failure and an engine at idle is something we don't often experience.

11 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Just playing with adsbexchange.com and wondering what military aircraft might be at 70,450 feet zooming along at 25 knots?

A surveillance drone or a balloon. It. Would have to be a balloon. The stall speed of anything at that altitude would be way higher than that.

2 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Would have to be a balloon.

Probably the information is incomplete, but it doesn't show the balloon icon on screen -- there were a couple of balloons shown above 60,000.  The icon looked like a glider with really long wings, but of course the icon is just something the site developers picked to depict the craft.

2 hours ago, Wildhorsetrail said:

So, this got me thinking. Anyone on here have an engine out experience? It looks like the pilot was just a few hundred feet short of the runway. Assuming this was a full engine failure, I'm guessing the "engine out" practice we've all had in training would have got him to the runway. But the difference in actual performance between a full failure and an engine at idle is something we don't often experience.

I was lucky to make the airport after declaring an engine out emergency downwind abeam the tower but we used the entire 5000 foot runway.  Managed to stop at the very end.  First sign of engine trouble was about 10 miles from the airport.  No power by the time we entered the pattern.   After a second incident the engine was overhauled.  Been purring ever since.  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

I was lucky to make the airport after declaring an engine out emergency downwind abeam the tower but we used the entire 5000 foot runway.  Managed to stop at the very end.  First sign of engine trouble was about 10 miles from the airport.  No power by the time we entered the pattern.   After a second incident the engine was overhauled.  Been purring ever since.  

Wow, your experience would probably give me a permanent bad twitch or something.

14 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

Probably the information is incomplete, but it doesn't show the balloon icon on screen -- there were a couple of balloons shown above 60,000.  The icon looked like a glider with really long wings, but of course the icon is just something the site developers picked to depict the craft.

I was looking for some guidance on weather a sailplane can work at those altitudes, and it took me to the U2. I found this video. It made me laugh. The song may be offensive FYI.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Wildhorsetrail said:

Wow, your experience would probably give me a permanent bad twitch or something.

The second incident was a wake up call after we thought we have resolved the issue.  I flew with the mechanic on the second flight.  I basically got out of the plane and said overhaul it; never doing that again.  It took a while to fly without thinking about it and I often reconsider whether it's wise to keep flying.  I've got a lot of confidence in my engine overhaul which really helps.  

41 minutes ago, Hank said:

The pilot did a great job of maintaining control far into the crash! If only he could have had another 5' of altitude, he could have rolled out on the grass . . . .

Very true.  5 ft is what separated a repairable, flyable plane from a pile of scrap parts.  It appears the landing gear sheared off backwards when he hit the curb - punching thru the wing and bending the flaps up.  Damage to prop, engine, wing and probably ripped the guts out underneath - most likely the insurance co will total it and it will feed salvage parts to the supply chain.....

5 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I was looking for some guidance on weather a sailplane can work at those altitudes, and it took me to the U2. I found this video. It made me laugh. The song may be offensive FYI.

https://perlanproject.org/

The Perlan 2 will fly to 90,000 feet at the edge of space

Oh, I just realized I saw this airplane on the ramp at CRQ last week.    We went to retrieve my buddy's Cherokee that was AOG due to a hot cylinder and it was parked in the county transient parking adjacent to us.

BTW, I followed him back to Phoenix just as a precaution, and a PA-28-180 that is running full throttle can be continuously followed by an M20J that is burning 5.6 gallons/hour.  ;) 

image.jpeg.9d7aa7dbd10674ac53b13a3f2a003666.jpegimage.png.bf49bffb791a6982085949c8fbe779e5.png

• Like 2