Flight Sim Build - M20R

Hello all, I am working on building a M20R simulator. I am around 75% finished with the hardware setup and I already have plans for a 2nd version but that will take months of 3d modeling so for now the walls will be square. For monitors I am using Samsung QLEDs; 75" for the front and 32" for both side windows. I am trying my best to model the panel close to the actual however I don't know anyone with an Ovation/Acclaim to get better measurements so that will come when I decide to start the second version of the build. By the way, if anyone is around KBHM and wouldn't mind me flying to you or meeting somewhere I would love to get actual measurements and get some 3D images/lidar of the cockpit. If anyone has done something similar please share your setup and/or tips and tricks.

I made a fatal error on the gear switch and placed it too close to the yoke so I am in the process of moving it. I will try and keep this thread updated for anyone interested in the build once it has been completed.

AnnP2.jpg

3dParts1.jpg

3dParts2.jpg

AnnP1.jpg

AnnP3.jpg

Ceiling1.jpg

EyeVent1.jpg

Frame1.jpg

Fuses1.jpg

panel1.jpg

panel2.jpg

Throttle1.jpg

WindowFrame1.jpg

Edited by MooneyP87
  • Like 3

On 7/8/2022 at 5:16 PM, Fly Boomer said:

Nice work!  That is the most elaborate and accurate GA simulator I've seen.

What 3D printing equipment and materials are you using?

Thank you sir. 

I have two 3D printers, an Ender 3 V2 and a Prusa Mk3S. It’s been a journey for me learning how to 3D model. It’s been a journey learning how to model the parts and they’re very basic right now but I’m hoping to make more realistic parts for the 2nd version. 

Panel Update: Although I don't love the placement and it will get changed for the 2nd version, I moved the gear switch over enough to clear the yoke housing behind the panel. Also added more vinyl decals but I still have a few to go. Hoping to get the decals finished so I can install the panel in the frame this weekend.

I'm also not in love with the left/right mag and start button switch plate so I may redesign it before the panel is installed into the frame.

PanelUpdate20220712.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

very cool project!

Which sim software will it use?

Currently X-Plane 11 but most likely, by the time I finish all of the wiring, X-Plane 12 (Early Access) should be released.

Edited by MooneyP87
  • Like 1

Wow, your work is amazing.  I wish I had the patience to do things like that.  I tend to get 90% done with something and then get bored with it, that last 10% is 90% of the work.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Joe Zuffoletto said:

The TKS fluid is really going to mess up your carpet - hopefully you won't encounter any icing conditions. :)

That's a slippery slope - before we know it, we are adding to the project a tow bar for an authentic hangar experience :)

• Haha 3

Okay... well this project just took a turn. After quite a bit of research, I have figured out how to export the object files from X-Plane into my 3D modeling program. For people with OCD, like myself, this is not good :ph34r:. I am now at a cross road because I now know that I can 3D print the entire cabin (granted after a lot of modeling adjustments to the M20 object file from X-Plane). I reached out to the model developer last night to make sure that I am not breaking anything in my license agreement if I go this route. All good there and he was very nice about it. Fortunately I have another Prusa 3D printer coming in today so now I will have three running 24-7 for the foreseeable future. Seeing that X-Plane 12 early access hasn't dropped yet, I may just go ahead and halt on the first version of the cockpit and move on to the 2nd version which will be a 1/1 replica of the Ovation interior (or as best as I can get with my modeling skills). I pasted in the model into my version 2 frame below to show a concept. Ignore everything behind the front seat area as I won't be modeling anything behind the front seats. This also gives me the ability to model out the yoke so I can replace the honeycomb yokes although I am not in a rush to do this as this is something that can be done later on.

Test.PNG

Test2.PNG

test3.PNG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to provide a quick update. I’m in the process of starting over on the new build. Currently printing the panel right now. 

I’ve swapped from using a 2x2 frame to using aluminum extrusion. This will allow me some flexibility on the brackets that will hold the interior in place. Pictures of the model attached are no where near finished but I feel I am making good progress. 

2842C6B2-FABD-4064-971E-2F2121321A20.jpeg

A4631FB2-F40C-4F77-B804-1EAAB5D3A7B2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the build since starting over on "Version 2".

I've printed the panel, center vertical column that is below the panel, and the lower left side wall. Quite a time consuming project but I am hoping the end results will be well worth it. I had to figure out some type of bracket system to hold the walls and ceiling in place but I have a system now that is fully adjustable which will help tremendously once I start installing the finished pieces into the frame.

Below is the latest rendering of the 3D model. All pieces shown are already printed.

Current1.PNG

Progress on the left wall. I've printed it and touched it up with bondo to help remove the seams. It needs some more sanding and minor corrections and it will be ready for paint. The pictures can be deceiving, this piece is close to 5 feet long.

LowLeft1.jpg

LowLeft2.jpg

LowLeft3.jpg

Edited by MooneyP87

3 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

Are you doing this just for fun or are you planning on selling it or getting it certified?

Currently doing it for fun however I have had a few people ask if I was planning on selling some type of kit or making it certified. I don't have any plans as of right now to get it certified (however this may change once I have it completed). I have read briefly on the certification process and I would need to provide a plug and play system for this to happen. I could do this but the price would knock most sim enthusiast out. I am thinking about making replica interior kits that would have the framing, walls, ceiling, and possibly a custom panel depending on what the user wants. The panel is where the hard part comes in because not everyone wants a G1000 setup.